Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 425
CindyA Posted: Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:17 AM

I'm making a set of hot pads as a gift and was wondering if 11" would be too big. I have a few sample quilt blocks and thought I might put them to good use by making them into hot pads. The squares are 12", but I'm sure that I'll need to trim them down a bit before binding them.

I also thought that this would be a good way to start learning to machine quilt since they're smaller items. Watching a You Tube video about 'quilt as you go' gave me the idea. Since I've kept the scraps from other projects, what a good way to use them up and shrink my stash!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:51 AM

Cindy, I have only knitted hot pads for my Sister and she wanted them to be large for placing hot casserole dishes on her table. I do have a panel that I am going to cut up for hot pads and they will be 12 inches finished. I plan on using Insul-Bright as well as batting.  Please share photo when you have finished.

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:10 PM

I tend to like the smaller hot pads better.  I find when I want to use one, I grab the smaller ones because they are easier.  However, is using them on the table, the larger would be preferred.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:12 PM

I've made both big and small...use the big ones a lot for large family dinners as the hot stuff seems to be in bigger casseroles or platters.  I've actually contemplated making a table cloth sized one for those holiday dinners...at least it is on my "to do" list.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:16 PM

Cindy

I like the large hot pads both to use to get things out of the oven and to set hot dishes on the table.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 5:23 PM

I made some hot pads from 10" blocks as gifts and half the people I gave them to used them as kitchen decorations! 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 425
CindyA replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 10:19 AM

Your tablecloth idea is really neat! Easy to care for and incredibly useful. No more burns or scorches on the table!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 425
CindyA replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 10:22 AM

Karla:

I've made both big and small...use the big ones a lot for large family dinners as the hot stuff seems to be in bigger casseroles or platters.  I've actually contemplated making a table cloth sized one for those holiday dinners...at least it is on my "to do" list.

Maybe I should plan on making a pair of each...that way all could be useful, no matter whether big or small hands are using them!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,005
barbjahay replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 10:36 AM

We have a stack of homemade hot  pads in the kitchen, my favorite measures about 7 1/2 by 9 inches. My mother-in-law likes them a little smaller. I like them a little larger. We use them to take stuff out of the oven, microwave and put on the table. I usually double the insulbrite or use l layer of insulbrite and one or two layers of cotton bat if I have some scraps left over from quilts, We use scraps of fabric and match them up with leftover pieces of bindings. We made alot to give away at xmas. I also make tablerunners for the kitchen table using the insulbrite, that way you can put hot dishes right onto the runner. When ever I make new curtains for the kitchen, I make a few hot pads to match. Have Fun, BARB

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 10,945
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 7:40 PM

I made some pot holders using the back pockets of Jeans and then what fabric I have on hand. I like the larger size for this use. These make up real cute. I have made them for friends, none for me- yet...lol, as usual.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use