Top 10 Posters

Quilt started, don't like....whadda you do?

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,782
Points 122,490

Thanks Patti, that's very sweet to say. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Judy T-Bellingham:

Nana:

Judy

Do you know what it is about the One Block Wonder that you don't like?

The fabric was gorgeous and everything cut out easily. I laid out the blocks per instruction, played with layouts on my design wall. I thought it was somewhat blah.

I took a workshop at my quilt guild called 4 patch posy, which is a variation of the One Block Wonder. I had the same problem. The fabric chosen was gorgeous, and most of the blocks turned out pretty. But when I put the blocks on the design wall it was blah. It was One Glance Boredom. Since it was all made from one fabric I had no color, and very little value changes to work with to add interest, movement and definition to the quilt. So what I had left to work with was how I set the blocks.

What I did was to add two sets of sashing with matching cornerstones to only two sides of the block. By adding it to only two sides I pushed the block off center, adding automatic movement. By rotating the blocks I now get two different patterns where they intersect, and the matching cornerstones go in two different directions to add further movement to the quilt. It is still not a great quilt, but at least it is no loner blah.

You might also try adding just some plain blocks to change your setting.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:26 PM

I like your new layout, Denise!  Quite a different look than a traditional One Block Wonder.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
toverly replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 8:32 AM

That is when I place everything into a large, 2 gallon plus size ziploc and stash it for a while.  I usually pull it back out and look at it every now and then. If it just doesn't fly, I'll donate it to our Guild's community quilts.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 9:37 AM

I'd love to see your one block wonder blocks and a photo of the original fabric if you have it.

If you list them on ebay or something, please let us know.

I've always wanted to do one, if you have them all cut out I'd probably be willing to pay for the sets if I think I can work with them.  I think you've done the hard part, putting it together would be fu

Judy T-Bellingham:
That's a good idea Stephanie. I may do that with the One Block Wonder if I can't get back to it.
Judy T-Bellingham:
That's a good idea Stephanie. I may do that with the One Block Wonder if I can't get back to it. 
n.

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use