Top 10 Posters

Quilt started, don't like....whadda you do?

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,911
Points 124,865
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:16 PM

I have at least three quilts I've start and got part way through and then don't like enough to finish. The One Block Wonder I was so excited about fizzled. All cut out, stacked and waiting to be arranged. Doubt if it will ever happen. The DWR I'm currently working on is loosing me as I'm not happy with the look and I'm having a hard time working on it. Right now enough are made for a 40x52 quilt. Maybe I'll just finish it off and donate it.

It's a lot of money, time and excitement going in, just to fizzle.

Do the rest of you have this problem? Stacks of unfinished projects that may never be finished because they are a disappointment?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:18 PM

Judy

Luckily I haven't had this problem.   I always finish them and if I don't like it I give it away.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:24 PM

I do Judy. But I can't think of one I wouldn't like to finish. I just seem to start new things before I finish my works in progress. I hit a stall with the sandwich part to. I have three tops at present with all the batting and backing ready to go that have been that way for over a year.

Your idea to finish and donate is a good one. Or even offering the blocks up on ebay or the qca marketplace might recoup some of the expense and someone else would be happy to finish them. It's hard to think of finishing something that you aren't happy with. Especially if your time to quilt is limited like mine is.   

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:27 PM

Yes, that's how some of my UFO's come about. When I drag them back out sometimes I figure out what to change so I like them better, but most times I just finish them into something smaller, just needs to be big enough for a kids quilt, wheelchair quilt, or a lap quilt. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,911
Points 124,865

Stephanie:
Your idea to finish and donate is a good one. Or even offering the blocks up on ebay or the qca marketplace might recoup some of the expense and someone else would be happy to finish them. It's hard to think of finishing something that you aren't happy with. Especially if your time to quilt is limited like mine is.

That's a good idea Stephanie. I may do that with the One Block Wonder if I can't get back to it. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,598
Points 26,880
Debbie replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:39 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Or even offering the blocks up on ebay or the qca marketplace

I've bought stuff on ebay like this.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Personally I always finish piecing a top, even if it is a disappointment, before I allow myself to start another quilt top. The only exception is if I am taking a class or workshop, then I may have two quilt tops going at one time.

Perhaps you need to think about why you quilt. I quilt to learn,and grow, and then share what I have learned. I accept that fact that sometimes I am going to make mistakes, and sometimes I will be disappointed. I learn and remember best by doing. So when a quilt disappoints I try hard to figure out what went wrong. I get a friend to look at the work so far and tell me what they think. I do my best to try and fix what went wrong. A lot of time I am able to make the quilt better. So I am learning how to fix my fizzle out disappointments. Now I can almost always improve a quilt. Sometimes it can't be fixed to my satisfaction, but I am learning how to fix quilts, and how to start the next project that won't fizzle out. I even publish my bad quilts and try to explain what went wrong so others quilters can see what not to do.

Quilting for me is a journey or process. It isn't always fun. I accept that by working through the not fun parts my overall fun will increase as I grow and gain new skills.

You need to figure out what works for you, and do what makes you happy. This is an expensive and time consuming hobby. Why do it if you are not having fun? For me learning is fun. Growing is fun. Sharing is fun.

Which part is fun for you?

Denise Smart

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

I agree with Stephanie. If you like to donate things, I know that Project Linus would love to have some fabric as sometimes they put kits together to give out to volunteer quilters. Some church groups would love to have the fabric. I'm just throwing that out there. At least you would know that fabric would be loved and given for a cause. Just suggesting some ideas. Although e-bay is a great idea also.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 680
Points 11,640
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 11:51 PM

You can also make them smaller and then just do a simple hand knot all over and see if they could be used as lap quilts for an elderly person. You can ask you church if they have a group that makes these so even if you don't want to complete them someone else could.

I too have many projects waiting for me to do. One I saw that I really was excited about doing and I have not given it up yet, but think I might be better off using the fabric on something else. I am really bad about buying fabric for a quilt that I plan to do one day and they still sit in my closet. I really need to look at each project and make a list and decided if I should move forward with it " one day".

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:11 AM

Judy

Do you know what it is about the One Block Wonder that you don't like?  I thought it was a really pretty quilt.   The blocks that I remember were beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,021
Points 369,817
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:23 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Do the rest of you have this problem? Stacks of unfinished projects that may never be finished because they are a disappointment?

Judy,

only one has been a disappointment. I think it was MQ 2. I tried going outside my comfort zone and bought colours I wouldn't normally get. I couldn't bear looking at it and knew I would never finish it. I put it on the "UFO Giveaway" thread and Nana took it.

Right now I have a couple I'm stuck on but still want to finish, others I'm not so sure about and some I can't even remember what the heck I wanted to do with them. I've donated a couple when the LQS has asked for quilts and I'm sure I'll do this again.

This is my hobby and most of the time it brings me joy so I don't worry about the cost when I fizzle out. It's worth it. If it weren't for quilting none of you would be in my life.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:28 AM

Nana:

Judy

Do you know what it is about the One Block Wonder that you don't like?  I thought it was a really pretty quilt.   The blocks that I remember were beautiful.

Judy, you should bring that project to the retreat, we'll help you figure it out.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:33 AM

I have several   lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,911
Points 124,865

Nana:

Judy

The fabric was gorgeous and everything cut out easily. I laid out the blocks per instruction, played with layouts on my design wall. I thought it was somewhat blah. Maybe I'll dig it out again and perhaps bring it to retreat, see what everyone thinks. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:27 AM

I put them on my someday list, which isn't working well.  I am not thrilled with the first Craftsy block of the month we did.  Only made it to April.  Modern looking stuff just does not do anything for me.  I think I have made the decision to simply put together what I have for a couple lap quits for donation.  Good way to practice free motion. 

A couple years ago I bought someone else's rejected small quilt top that is in my pile to finish and donate.  Again, good way to practice free motion. 

Judy, I have never seen anything you have done that I would consider not worth completing.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use