Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 180
Cynthia Fuller Posted: Thu, Aug 29 2013 8:47 PM

Ladies I gotta tell you, I'm feeling like a little kid. I got my first sewing machine two weeks ago, I'm 54 years young. Everyone says, where's Grandma, where's Mom, where's my Wife, etc, etc. they find me living in my little sewing room. I live next to my Mother- In-Law ( my best friend) and my Sister-In-Law( my other best friend) both advid quilters. I so love the works of art they create. I could not wait to start making some art myself! Well, I've watched youtube quilting videos until my eyes feel like sand paper, I've gone thru a mile of fabric, I've spent hours reading, measuring, cutting, recutting, sewing, ripping til I've worn out two seam rippers. Still nothing lines up and all I'm doing is making a mess, I can not seem to make a square. It took me about a mile of sewing before I could get a 1/4 seam. Please tell me....do I just need to practice more? I remember as a child, going to the Fabric store with my Mom, she made most of our clothes, fabric was ALOT cheaper. I'm feeling like I should just try to make pot holders, maybe I don't have what it takes to be a quilter. Any words of wisdom or advise you could toss my way? I so want to be a quilter, I am embarrassed to show, or ask anymore from my In-Law Buddies. It is so easy for them.  

• | Post Points: 155
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,093
Points 14,135
Dawn replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:14 PM

Welcome!  We all did NOT start out doing everything "right" when quilting!  It takes practice, practice, practice.  Just like anything else.  I finally bought a 1/4" foot for my machine and boy did that help!  Doing soooooooo much better now.  Just hang in there and do it!  :-)  I will find a pattern and wanna make it, but then I think, it will never turn out THAT good and I don't even try.  But my DH tells me, just try!!!!  So I do and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  It's all about the practicing and just trying!  GO FOR IT!!!   :-)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:22 PM

Cynthia

If the main problem is seam accuracy I suggest you get a 1/4" ft for your machine.   Another option is to measure from your needle and put masking tape in several layers on the machine to give you a guide.   Are your MIL and SIL willing to take you under their wing and help you get started?   The first quilts are rarely perfect or even close.  Just keep playing and having fun and you will get there.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:43 PM

Cynthia Fuller:
I so want to be a quilter, I am embarrassed to show, or ask anymore from my In-Law Buddies.

How much have you actually asked of your MIL & SIL?  Do they tell you how to do it and then send you home to work alone, or do you get to sew right along side them?  I think you need to ask them to watch over your shoulder as you work on a few seams to watch your technique and make suggestions.  

Otherwise the suggestions to get a 1/4 inch foot and to practice & practice are good.  You've watched a lot of YouTube - search specifically for how to sew accurate 1/4 inch seams.

Good luck!  Be sure to come back and tell us how it's going.  I love your enthusiasm!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 180

Thank you, I am glad I found this club

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,391
Points 19,270

Oh my goodness Cynthia, I still have to take things out. I've been sewing since I was 8 and quilting for only about 3 years but I have never done any project without taking something out at least once. Most of the time I have to rip something out 2 times before I get it right. Maybe you could practice with cheaper fabric from WalMart or yard sale fabrics. Whenever I am unsure, I use a yard sale fabric to practice on. I' m sure your in-law buddies don't mind helping as much as they can. I also took a beginner quilting calls. It helped me so much with even the things I thought I knew. Once you get the hang of it, you will have a ball. I just hope you don't give up on yourself.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 180

Thank you, I am having the time of my life

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

It honestly took me almost two years before I could hold an accurate enough scant 1/4 seam to get my points to match almost all the time. There are so many steps involved. You have to cut accurately, you have to sew accurately, you have to press correctly. Start with beginner level patterns (minimize points that have to match), keep your projects small in size, under 40 inches square, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Ask questions. Quilters are the friendliest people I know. We love to help new quilters.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 11:17 PM

Welcome Cynthia,  I have been quilting for about twelve years, and my seam ripper and I are very close. lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:15 AM

Welcome Cynthia.

You've gotten some great advice. Don't get discouraged and don't stick to pot holders. If being square is not your forte think outside the box and try some freestyle piecing. You might like that better. The wonderful thing about quilting is that there are many aspects for everyone of us to enjoy. You definitely have what it takes to be a quilter.

And yes it takes practice no matter what you do.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:37 AM

Hi Cynthia, welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,041
Points 169,848
Marie replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 9:48 AM

Cynthia Fuller:
maybe I don't have what it takes to be a quilter

Cynthia, bite your tongue!  With all that enthusiasm you certainly have what it takes to be a quilter!  First of all, WELCOME!  Most of us started out with just that enthusiasm and here we are still learning new techniques, making new friends and having a wonderful time.  Don't start out with just pot holders, jump right in and find a beginner quilt that you love the looks of and buy yourself some fabric that makes you excited and go for it!  What's the worst thing that could happen?  Your first quilt will always have a special place in your heart no matter how good you become, it got you started down the path of becoming a quilter.  ENJOY your journey!

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:14 AM

Welcome Cynthia :)

Everyone has given you good advice.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:21 PM

Cynthia Fuller:
Still nothing lines up

This little tip appeared on Facebook today.  It really helps my points line up when I do this...

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/2013/08/21/perfect-your-skills-points/

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:30 PM

That's a great tip and will surely come in handy on the Loyal Union Solder...

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use