Top 10 Posters

paper piecing

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
262 Posts
Points 5,185
Ginny L posted on Sun, Aug 25 2013 3:36 PM

I have a quilt pattern that wants me to make paper foundations that are 11.5" square. What do I use?  thanks for any advice.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,379 Posts
Points 24,090
Answered (Not Verified) Roxana replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 4:06 PM
Suggested by Roxana

Ginny L:

I have a quilt pattern that wants me to make paper foundations that are 11.5" square. What do I use?  thanks for any advice.

Try the newsprint on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=search-alias%3Darts-crafts&field-keywords=newsprint+paper&sprefix=newsprint+paper%2Caps%2C240

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,338 Posts
Points 38,885
Answered (Not Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 7:30 PM
Suggested by Sue

To make string blocks I use the papers that go in those plastic baskets at diners when they bring you a burger or a sandwich.  Some use old (very old so the ink doesn't smudge) telephone book pages or even extra papers from when you print out something with your printer that isn't going to be used..something that you would recycle.  Hope that helps although I'm not quite sure for what you are needing the foundations.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
262 Posts
Points 5,185

Thanks, I'm doing a spiral paper pieced block, so I can't break it down into sections. 

Top 100 Contributor
714 Posts
Points 14,000
Sue replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 10:44 AM

HI Ginny,

I use golden paper, available from Connecting Threads.  It comes in a roll, either 12 or 18 inches wide by yards.  You can cut off what you need and it is very easy to see thru for correct placement of your fabrics.  And the  best part is that it tears off very easily when you are done.  Unfortunately it does not go thru the printer very well.  Haven't had much luck using my printer so I just tape my original pattern down and place the golden paper on top and draw, sometimes with rulers sometimes freehand.

Hope this helps.

In the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 12:06 AM

You can use old newspapers as well.  Iron the paper first to set the ink so it won't rub off on your fabric and use a marker or pen  that will show up on the printed paper.  A permanent pen is what you would need so it won't rub or smear either.  Red or Blue  worked best for me when I made the paper foundations for my Mother.  She could make a block almost as fast as I could trace one out.

Not Ranked
16 Posts
Points 355

I have always purchased reems of 81/2 x 11 newsprint online from *** Blick Art Supply.  Really inexpensive and easily goes through the printer.  Tears off nicely too.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 6:06 AM

rhondakp:

I have always purchased reems of 81/2 x 11 newsprint online from *** Blick Art Supply.  Really inexpensive and easily goes through the printer.  Tears off nicely too.

Someone else told me about that - I just never think about doing it until it is too late and I am ready to print.  I will have to order some.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727

But that won't be big enough for 11.5 inch square.  You would have to tape two pieces together, and then will that make it more difficult to remove if you've sewn through the tape?  How many of these blocks do you need to make?  Maybe you can find larger paper and hand trace the pattern?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
262 Posts
Points 5,185

So far I have glued 2 sheets of newsprint together and have traced my blown up pattern, I am taking this to a retreat, so haven't been in a hurry to try it, but will be before I go . I thought about "sewing ", instead of tracing the pattern ,once I see if this paper works.  Someone has also given me some Golden threads paper, which is wide enough but I haven't had a chance to try this either. And if it works I would have to order it online as none of my quilt stores carry it. I only have 16 to do, so hopefully the newsprint will work. Thanks for your advice, all!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,555

If you have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels close. In the art supply section they have large news print tablets. Kids color on them, or artists sketch on them. Also I have used rolls of parchment paper before.   Also in office supplies they have large sheets of copy paper.  I just wonder around the office supplies or hobby lobby's. I find things in the weirdest places.   

MODESTO, CA.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use