Top 10 Posters

Basting Help

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 550
Dani posted on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:32 AM

Hello Ladies,
As you may know, i'm VERY new to quilting, and with my last few projects, have tried machine quilting however i'm having a difficult time finding a basting method that works for larger quilts. For wall hangings and small projects I use the basting spray (which I think is great), but it doesnt work as well for lap size quilts or larger. I have basting pins (curved safety pins) which I have tried, but I run into the problem of the backing puckering up so i'm not sure if i'm just not doing it properly or if thats a common problem. I have also tried thread basting, and run into the same problem....the backing moves and becomes folded, or puckered. The only thing i've done that has worked, is basted small sections at a time, and used my hands to hold the backing taut while top stitching...it gives me terrible aches in my hands! Also, I use normal pins and run into sticking myself frequently with that method...nobody wants a quilt with blood-stains.

Any advice you wise women can share would be greatly appreciated!!!

**Sorry it looks like I posted this question under tips and cant figure out how to delete it!! :/--still very new to this online community stuff lol**

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,884
gini replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:51 AM

it doesn't matter where you post it, dani.  i answered you on the other thread

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Answered (Not Verified) Carey replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 3:56 PM
Suggested by Cindy

Hi, I use basting spray on everything, If You find the right brand it works just as well for the larger sizes. Joann's had june tailors and that worked pretty well for my projects up to queen size. I have yet to do a king size on it. You can try using the clip things on a large table for basting as well. I learned that in a craftsy class.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
843 Posts
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:19 PM

Dani, Try this website     http://www.SharonSchamberNetwork.com

Cindy  

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 550
Dani replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 8:51 PM

Thanks Gini! I saw on the other page, and it was incredibly helpful! i never thought about wall basting but with my bad knees that is an EXCELLENT suggestion!!!! Thank you again =) I'll let you know how it goes haha.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 9:36 PM

For a large quilt, I use safety pins about every 5 inches.  But perhaps more important is how the quilt is laid out.  I have a great, long counter.  I put the backing down first, right side down of course, and I may tape that and use some clips to hold it in place.  I try to be careful not to stretch it, but want it to lay flat.  Then I put on the batting and smooth that out.  I add the top, smooth that out and pin it.  After I am done pinning, I flip it over.  It won't look perfectly smooth, but at least won't have folds or overlapping.  Then when I quilt it, I "smooth" that portion where I am going to be qullting. as I quilt.  Be sure to start in the middle and work out.  it is much easier to smooth any puckers, or redo it if any show up.  If it puckers in the middle, it is hard to correct that. 

I check my work fairly frequently.  Looking at the back to see how it is coming together. 

Good luck!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use