Are You Ready for Mystery Quilt 9?

Page 21 of 23 (342 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 341 Replies | 62 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 56
Points 820
MTAnn replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 6:04 PM

Tami - absolutely stunning!!! King size?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 6:41 PM

thanks MTann. no it is just a long queen

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 145

Nana: So glad I saw your post about using 3" strips to make the HSTs using the Missouri Star Quilt method! OMGosh!! I have frantically avoided patterns using HSTs because I was so worried about using them, but this is absolutely awesome! Glad I saw the post about starching like crazy, too!! My HSts look awesome & will take so much less time to do! Love that I can sew 2 seams and come up with 16 or 17 HSTs at a swing.  This means I'll be able to work on this while working on my granddaughter's quilt, chain piecing between the two.  Really excited to be actively involved in this MQ and see how it turns out! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,515
Points 25,355
Debbie replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 11:13 AM

Phyllis - sent you a PM.  please respond.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 290

Hello Sybil.....from Australia.

I too have a problem with HST's.  But can't find the instructions you mentioned that Nana put out.    It sounds so much better than cutting each one individually. Would you be able to email them to me....I am not real good at navigating this website either....am a bit of a dinosaur with computers. 

Phillsandra@gmail.com

Thanks in anticipation.       Oh, PS, do you know how to put up a pic of MQ 8 that I have actually finished.     I enjoyed it. Was my very first  MQ.

Sandra Edwards.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 709
Points 13,830

Sandra, Here are some copy-and-pastes of previous messages about the strip tube method:

Nana:

It is called the Strip Tube ruler and is made by Cozy Quilts.   I played with strips until I found the strip size I needed to make 3 1/2 in squares.   I ended up using 3" strips to make 3 1/2" HST squares.  It is so easy that I doubt that I will ever make HSTs any other way.   It is just a triangle shape ruler and you place the line for the size you want against the seam line on the strip set and cut out the triangle shape.   Once pressed you have your HST square.   No lines to draw, no triangles to work with, no papers. and best of all no squaring up. 

Donna B:

Nana, after watching the Cozy Quilts video I ran into another video by Jennie D at Missouri Star Quilts making strip tube HST's using regular rulers.  You and others might be  interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE&feature=youtu.be

Nana:

There is an ADDENDUM to the cutting instructions.   If you plan on using the new Strip Tube Ruler you need to cut the strips at 3" instead of 3 7/8".   Also don't cut the strips into squares or triangles.   You will sew certain strips together and then cut your squares.    Cut the same number of 3" strips as you would have 3 7/8" strips.

Hope that helps.  Also, if you want to add a photo to a message, click on the icon that looks like a green filmstrip. That will give you a box to select "Browse" and add your photo. It sometimes takes awhile after you click on "Insert" for the photo to appear.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 206
Points 3,655

MNnancy:

Patti:
I have decided to opt out of this one.   I was only going to give myself permission if I could find the fabrics in my stash.  I didn't, so I will take this as a sign that I should work on my multiple current projects and UFOs

That was the same conclusion I reached this afternoon.  I had some nice prints to make a Christmas quilt, but the 3 1/4 yards of a light background was the requirement that did me in, and I've vowed not to buy any more fabric until the Oregon retreat.  I'll save the weekly MQ steps for future consideration and keep plugging away at all my other sewing projects, half of which are not quilts due to the church's holiday bazaar coming up in November.

MNnancy,

I'll trade you 3 1/4 yards of a light background for that 1 yard of your "ugly" blue/green/purple nightmare that is the mate to the yard  you sent me a year or two ago..... then, you can play along! AND....I'll dare to use those 2 yards in THIS quilt so you can see it LOL!

Karyn

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:10 PM

Karyn Ashley-Smith:
that 1 yard of your "ugly" blue/green/purple nightmare that is the mate to the yard  you sent me a year or two ago..... I'll dare to use those 2 yards in THIS quilt so you can see it!

Too funny, Karyn.  I think you'll have to post a picture of the fabric you are talking about so I can remember what it was.  I said I have a yard left?  If I can find it, I'll send it to you, but you don't need to send me anything back.  I'm up to my eyebrows in projects right now.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:41 PM

MNnancy:
I'm up to my eyebrows in projects right now.

I'm up to my eyebrows too, but yours are taller, so that must mean I have less than you.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,132
Points 17,460
weezee56 replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:46 PM

Patti:

MNnancy:
I'm up to my eyebrows in projects right now.

I'm up to my eyebrows too, but yours are taller, so that must mean I have less than you.

Are you two sitting down or standing up?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 206
Points 3,655

MNnancy:

Too funny, Karyn.  I think you'll have to post a picture of the fabric you are talking about so I can remember what it was.  I said I have a yard left?  If I can find it, I'll send it to you, but you don't need to send me anything back.  I'm up to my eyebrows in projects right now.

I'll snap a picture and send it your way. It's blue/purple with a little green. You said it reminded you of a drop cloth LOL. I'll try and post it tonight.

When did being up to our eyebrows EVER stop us from adding just one more thing to the pile??? (and for the record, I am standing, on top of the ladder, at the top of a hill....)

Karyn

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 2:48 PM

I'm sorry.  I'm still confused by step two.  Is this right?  We only have instructions to cut 210) 3-7/8" squares from fabric one, not 3-1/2" right?

So the BG/F1 is 168 of the 3 7/8" squares to get 336  HST 3 1/2"; then 42 of the BG/F2 3 7/8"  for 84 HST 3 1/2"; and 42 of F1/F2  3 7/8"  for 84 HST  3 1/2:...is that correct?  We aren't using the cut 3 1/2" squares at this point?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 3:03 PM

I meant "No 3-1/2" sqaures"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,446
Points 176,318
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 5:24 PM

MaggieNae:

I'm sorry.  I'm still confused by step two.  Is this right?  We only have instructions to cut 210) 3-7/8" squares from fabric one, not 3-1/2" right?

So the BG/F1 is 168 of the 3 7/8" squares to get 336  HST 3 1/2"; then 42 of the BG/F2 3 7/8"  for 84 HST 3 1/2"; and 42 of F1/F2  3 7/8"  for 84 HST  3 1/2:...is that correct?  We aren't using the cut 3 1/2" squares at this point?

I'm a bit confused as well.  How many combinations of each block do we need?  How many fabric 1 and background blocks; how many fabric 2 and background blocks; how many fabric 1 & 2blocks?

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 5:29 PM

Marie, I finally found on the other thread for questions the answer.  There was an error in the instructions. The numbers did not match.

Here is the correction from Nana

Take 168 background 3 7/8" squares and combine them with 168 3 7/8" fab #1 squares to make 336  3 1/2 HST squares.   You can do this by drawing a line and sewing on each side.  Or use any other method you prefer.

Take 42 3 7/8" background squares and combine with 42 fabric #2 squares.

Take 42 fabric #1 and combine with 42 Fabric #2 to form 84 HST squares.

Boy does it make me happier to find this!

Page 21 of 23 (342 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use