Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready for Mystery Quilt 9?

Page 18 of 23 (342 items) « First ... < Previous 16 17 18 19 20 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 341 Replies | 62 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,615
Points 178,613
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:29 AM

Hi and welcome Portia, nice to have you join us, enjoy!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:43 AM

Hi Portia, on your Home page, look to the left and see 'welcome to QCA' or something like that and it will give you lots of useful information. 

To post a picture here in the forums, simply click on the green film strip just above where you are writing.  after selecting under browse, hit insert, and then post.  There may be a wait while things load on the various steps, wait until you see the picture before hitting "post."

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 10:41 AM

lcqultr46:

OLd Quilter:
Too bad that QCA can't put a PDF download for the Mystery Quilt fabric requirements and cutting instructions.  

I just saved the fabric requirements and cutting instructions as a PDF file and then printed. Very simple and easy to do.

Hi JudyEE!  I've missed you on here. What have you been doing lately?

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 7,270
lcqultr46 replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 12:12 PM

Donna B:
What have you been doing lately?

Hey Donna B, I've missed you too. I've been reading all the news on the Oregon Coast Retreat and feeling bummed I won't be with you, you guys are going to have so much fun.

But, along with taking care of the parents, I've been quilting for the Quilts of Valor chapter here, I've finished four quilts for the session at the end of this month. We have a commitment to bring 100 quilts to JBLM this Christmas for returning soldiers. And our Crystal Quilters Guild Quilt show is Oct. 11-13 at Buckley Hall, in Buckley, WA. I'd suggest you stop by on the way down to Oregon but it looks like you'll be passing thru before that.

I'm also scheduled for cataract surgery, one eye on 9/23 and the other 9/25, I've been having difficulty with reading and driving but when it started to affect the sewing I figured I had to have it done.

So I'm keeping busy but will have to enjoy the retreat vicariously through your pictures and reports.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 640
Points 9,640
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 12:54 PM

I am so disorgainized still.  I haven't even thought about finding fabrics for this from my stash yet.  Must move forward.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:56 PM

Hi Judy EE!

I didn't realize that you wouldn't be with us.  Sorry to hear that - will miss seeing your newest mini log cabin creations!  

Good luck with your eye surgery!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:52 PM

Nancy I am going to try to go to my `1st guild mtg. tomorrow.  I was hoping to find other quilters that might want to get together to sew.  But from what you are saying doesn't sound like that will happen.  Oh well even if I learn something from the meetings it will be a help.  

Joyce

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 5:16 AM

Oh, gosh, what did I say that implied we don't get together?  My guild holds a Quilt-til-you-Wilt day once a month.  It's kind of like a one day retreat.  We bring our machines and a project and some treats to share.  Some members work on charity projects while others work on their own projects.  I always enjoy that day!  I also go on multiple-day retreats with some friends I've made in the guild, and a few of us like to get together once in a while at each other's homes.  Have a great time at your first guild meeting, Joyce!

Did we bring up the topic of guilds in this particular discussion thread or was it somewhere else?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 297
Points 4,555

Claja99:

I am fairly new to quilting and have several quilt tops ready or almost ready to quilt, but am hung up on the actual quilting of them.  I think I have Fear Of Quilting (FOQ) disease, LOL!  I got snake bit by the Stipple Rattler when I had to tear out all the quilting of three different projects due to birds nests and pulled top threads.  Since then I've invested in a custom bobbin case for my Jenome which should help with that, and am about to purchase those little washer thingys that go in the bobbin case under the bobbin in the hope that a cure will manifest itself.  In the meantime, I've simply stopped stippling; I use straight stitch in the ditch, or echo stitching, instead.

Anyhow, I've never done a Mystery Quilt and am a bit trepidatious.  What if I finish the quilt and it turns out to be a design I don't like?  Ah, then I just give it away, I suppose; which would be no big deal, since I give them all away, anyway.  Guess that means I've nothing left to lose by trying the Mystery Quilt.  Right?

OMG. I am actually like you! I like my Singer Quilting machine, no problems there. But I have FOQ disease too, lol. I will be very interested in how you do, we can compare our stories. My first MQ, too.

MN Deb 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,552
Points 47,805

For those of you who decided to sit this one out, you might want to reconsider. It was suggested we make a half size or baby quilt. I had the right stuff in my stash so I am going to make a "mini" Mystery Quilt.  I cut the strips this afternoon. The whole time I was cutting the quilt on my machine was screaming "finish me first!" Oh well. LOL, I really have to finish it cuz it is for my newest dgs and he will be 2 months old next week.  So, why does something new seem like so much more fun? ? ? ? ?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 404
Points 6,875
Phyllis replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:08 PM

How did you determine fabric etc to make the mystery quilt as a baby quilt?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 10:01 PM

Phyllis

Just cut the fabric requirements in half do the cutting the same size.   You will be able to do a 36 x 42 without borders.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 10:12 PM

Pat Lancaster:
I had the right stuff in my stash so I am going to make a "mini" Mystery Quilt.

Pat, it's tempting, but I'm sticking with my decision.  I will save all the steps for a future quilt, but the guild's challenge quilt started this week, and in October the guild starts a BOM, and in November, we have an instructor coming in to teach a class that involves making another quilt. Three quilts and sewing crafts for the church bazaar will fill my dance card, so to speak.  I've never been a fast seamstress.   Looking forward to seeing your mini-quilt!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 10:12 PM

~delete / duplicate

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 18,945
weezee56 replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 12:08 AM

Step 2: nothing yet, I'll check in the morning. Good night everyone.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 18 of 23 (342 items) « First ... < Previous 16 17 18 19 20 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use