Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,798
Points 122,955

gini:

Mary Sorensen of marry appliqués had several of her show quilts stolen out of her car.

That would be so devastating! I really hesitated before allowing the local library to hang my Harry Potter quilt for a month. I checked out the spot and method of display first. It was high on the wall on a pulley system and couldn't be taken down easily.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I have a friend who designs patterns "Friends Among Us"' and she was on the way hom from Hustoun Quilt Markwt one year, and when they stopped at a motel for the night all her quilts she had made as samples, her clothes and sewing machine were stolen out of her van. She WAS devastated. Took her months to remake all those quilts.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:50 PM

I have never had any stolen but I have had people who did not like the finished quilt and were very picky when they were buying a gift.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 11:36 AM

Gini - good morning.  I have been given Mary Sorenson's name by some other quilters and I will be contacting her today about her thefts.  Thanks so very much.

Kim in Calgary

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 11:37 AM

Judy - that was smart thinking on your part.  We do have to safeguard our work whenever possible.

Kim in Calgary

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 11:39 AM

Elaine - I would love to hear more about your friend's story.  Would it be possible for me to contact her directly?

Kim in Calgary

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Kim, I will contact her and see if she would be interested and let you know.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 11:09 AM

Thank you Elaine.  Much appreciated.

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 11:52 AM

Wow, Kim I am glad you started this thread. I did not realize how much this happens.  What an eye opener.   Has to be a pretty low person to steal from others, but to steal from someone in a nursing home!    I don't know what has happened to our society.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 12:18 PM

I made a quilt for a lady in a nursing home and when I went to visit her the next time her quilt had her name wrote in black sharpie marker, about 2" tall, on the front side of the quilt. I couldn't believe someone would do that, they could have wrote it on the back at least. But maybe that's what it takes for it to not "disappear".

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 12:19 PM

I reported about the loss of my Mother's quilt blocks in the nursing home.  She too had 2 quilts, a muslin foundation and a blue jean quilt.  After the disappearance of the quilt blocks a second cousin who worked at the nursing home made it her job to make sure nothing happened to Mother's quilts.  She terrified the entire staff, residents and visitors  if they did more than admire the quilts.  I truly believe she is the reason the family still has those quilts.  As a thank you I made her a lap robe for her to take to church because, like me, the summer air conditioning was to cool for her. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Granny - I am researching an article on the subject and what I've discovered is definitely eye-opening!  It's crazy..... I didn't realize quilt theft is as rampant as it is.  Once the article is published, I will put a link to it here on the Board.

Kim

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Jacy - that makes me sad!  Obviously whomever wrote the lady's name on the front of your quilt has no idea of its intrinsic value.

Kim

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use