Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson Posted: Mon, Aug 19 2013 4:18 PM

Good day to all on QCA.  I am extremely interested in the subject of "Stolen Quilts".  Currently, I am researching a piece on Stolen Quilts and would love to hear from all QCA members on the subject. Have you personally had quilts stolen...from your vehicle, from your home...from a quilt show?  Do you have friends who have sustained such a loss?  Please let me know - I would love and value all of your comments.

Kim in Calgary, Canada

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,218
Points 16,395
Susan replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 7:16 PM

Kim,

Several years ago when my DMIL was in a nursing home we brought her favorite quilt for her bed. We  did the laundry so no one was suppose to touch her clothes and linens. Well after several weeks, lo and behold, her quilt was no where to be found. We searched every room in the place so we knew another patient did not appear to have it. So what do you think happened to her quilt??? We brought her a cheap comforter after that and guess what, it never disappeared. I hope whoever it was at least took  as good of care of it as my DMIL always did. I did not quilt in those days but I always admired her work and  appreciated all the time and money that went into her quilts. Im blessed to have some of them and am passing them down to her Grandchildren. She would be pleased.   Susan 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:28 AM

So far I have not had a quilt itself stolen.  I did have a pattern I designed copied without my permission.   I would have given it if asked, but was very upset that someone had just taken it.  It was one of my first designs, and I had worked hours and hours on it.  (partly cause I really did not know what I was doing then)

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:49 AM

I had made a quilt especially to take to the beach. I could roll it up easily and found it shook the sand off much easier than towels. I went in for a swim and came out of the water and my quilt was gone. They left my tote, towel and drink cooler and stole my quilt. Mad as I was, I thought, well, they must have liked it. Honestly, I  was thankful I still had the keys to my car. Things could have been worse. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:59 AM

Hi Susan.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm so sorry your DMIL's quilt was stolen. In your case, it's likely someone took the treasured quilt for themselves.

Kim in Calgary, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 11:02 AM

Stephanie - yes, I'm sure your "beach" quilt was lovely.  Too bad someone felt entitled to take it!

Kim

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 11:02 AM

Granny M - how did you find out that someone copies your pattern?

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 6:58 AM

She was dumb enough to enter in a show I attended and I confronted her about where she found the pattern.  Actually my thinking was that maybe I had not been original and had actually seen it somewhere.    This woman told me she goes to shows and takes pictures of quilts she like and then copies them.  when I told her I had designed the quilt, she had the nerve to tell me it had taken her several days to figure the pattern out. I asked her  why she did not just contact me, as our phone numbers are on the fact sheet.  Her answer was she had not bought patterns for years!!!!   I had a bit of a temper flare and told her she owed me $10. for my pattern.  I would have given it to her had she contracted me and been flattered that she wanted it.  But to just take it like that really made me angry.

2 of the shows here, will no longer let people take pictures of the quilts on display for this very reason. 

Granny M

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:04 AM

Granny,  She should have been barred from ever entering quilts in that show or any show.  If she had been doing that for years, she is a disgrace to the quilting world and should never benefit from someone else's work. 

Diana in East TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:07 AM

As I stated in my description of  Mothers Last Blocks, someone took her box of completed blocks and supplies for remaining blocks from her room at the nursing home. She would start work on the blocks when I visited (I was her reminder).  I could not visit every day and one day when I was not there they disappeared. We were devastated.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:24 AM

Granny M - incredibly interesting story.  It's so hard to imagine how someone can take credit for another's creative work.  No photos at the quilt shows are a way to safeguard against this problem, I guess.  Thanks so much for sharing your story - it's much appreciated. I'm going to send you a private message.

Kim in Calgary

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:25 AM

Flojo - your story is unbelievable!  I'm at a loss as to understand how someone could do that do another.  It's crazy!

Kim in Calgary

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 607
Points 9,660
Joyce replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:36 AM
Granny M I guess that is why you aren't allowed to take pics in some of the quilt shops in Lancaster. We had friends visiting from England few years ago took them to Lancaster and in one of the shops friend wanted a pic in front of the displays. Not to copy just to remember where they had been. The lady made her delete that photo in front of her. We were not trying to copy the pattern in fact I couldn't have made a quilt like any of those in a 100 years. But I guess there are folks out there that do not have any problems stealing. Joyce
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 10:51 AM

Joyce - it's too bad your friends could not have taken and kept their photo...but so understandable on the part of the quilt shop owner.

Kim in Calgary

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 6:37 PM

Mary Sorensen of marry appliqués had several of her show quilts stolen out of her car.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use