Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances Posted: Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:37 AM

Okay ive started doing Sylvias Bridal Sampler, I was going to do it EPP but that wont work so back to my machine (im never the happiest person using a machine, mine seems to speak perfect Klingon).

My question is the measurement is 2 7/8 how do you all measure things like 7/8 is there a ruler that ive missed somewhere that does the silly weird measurements, sorry if this is a thick question but 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch no problems but not being highly intelligent like you lot are 7/8 is beyond my one brain cell capability.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 7:58 AM

I use mostly Omnigrip and Olfa rulers and on these rulers -  at every inch mark is a solid line and every half inch mark is a dotted line. On the solid lines - there are eight "hash" marks The four representing the 1/4 inches are longer - the shorter ones are 1/8 inch marks.

So on my ruler if I needed 2 7/8 - I would go to the 3" mark and the shortest hash mark to the left of that is 2 7/8.

A few rulers that I have - have no 1/8 inch markings - if that is the case I would try and place the fabric half way between the 2 3/4" mark and the 3" mark.  

Hope this helps and I have not confused you more - lol!! I have only had one cup of coffee so far this morning.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:15 AM

Most of my rulers have the inch divided down to the eighths.   If you don't, just think of 7/8 as a wee tiny bit less than an inch.  Half a quarter less.

I did something called "fractures" that required sewing 1/8 inch seams.  Not much room for error there.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 9:33 AM

Thank you very much, it helps a lot most uk patterns use 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch.

Patti, rather me than you doing 1/8 inch seams.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:19 AM

Frances:
it helps a lot most uk patterns use 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch.

I would have guessed UK patterns would be in metric measurements.  Not the case?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:09 PM

Nancy,

Most of our patterns are inches (thankfully) but the fabric measurements you need to buy are normally in metres.

Although we changed to metric years ago, i still bake using pounds and ounces dont use metric unless i really have to.

If Lesley reads this maybe she will say what she uses.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 2:06 PM

Frances, something that helps me with this is knowing  if you were to divide one inch into eighths,  1/4" = 2 eighths; 1/2" = 4 eighths; 3/4" = 6 eighths; and 1" = 8 eighths.  (Think about cutting a pie into four quarters and then into eight eighths(each quarter in half again).)

So on your ruler, 7/8" would be half way between the 3/4" and 1(whole) inch mark on your ruler... 5/8" would be half way between the 1/2" and the 3/4" marks, etc.

I hope that little piece of logic helps a bit...and doesn't just confuse you even more.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 2:08 PM

Canada, too, jumped to metric some years ago. So we too work on a hodge podge method. Fabric is sold by the meter in general fabric stores. Quilt Shops may or my not sell in yards. As a result when purchasing at a LQS I check on the size of FQs before I purchase. A meter is approx 10% more than a yard. This amount can really make a difference. As far as patterns, etc it is all in the inch, foot, yard format. Because I knew the length of a mile from childhood I still convert my walking differences from kilometers to miles to really grasp my distances.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 9:47 PM

Thank you Donna, that is a real help.

Agnes, it always makes me wonder if its not broke why try to fix it. The fabric shops here are only allowed to sell in metric. most people i know work in imperial.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,912
Points 40,960
ls2116 replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 10:01 PM

I haven't figured out what to do about eighths so i always measure up.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use