Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245
Susan Willey Posted: Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:09 PM

You should check out the tiny clothespins I found at Walmart.  They are the greatest things for holding the binding on your quilt as you sew it on.  The cost is great too.  A box of 20 is under $2.00 they also have a larger size for under $3.00 but that box only has 20.  I like the smaller ones for holding the binding they are the perfect size.  I tried to attach a pic but the file is too large and I don't know how to resize it.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245

It's still me.  I've attached the pic of the clothes pins as my avatar, you can take a look at it that way.

Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 4:02 PM

Aren't they cute!  How do they compare to those red clips everyone is so crazy about for bindings?  (Clover brand?)  Do they clamp down pretty hard to hold things in place?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 5:37 PM

Nancy

I've not tried the clothes pins but I did buy a large container of three different size binder clips and love how they work.  It was really inexpensive and had clips at about 1/2in up to 1in.  I love using them for bindings and when they break it isn't a big deal to replace.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245

I think they are really cute too.  They do hold pretty good and are easy enough to pull off as you sew up to them.  I'm not fimilar with the Clover clamps so I can't comment on that.  I will be watching this thread to see what others think.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,850
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:20 PM

Never even considered those. I use the hair clip thingys. I was gifted with some of the small Clover clips and just LOVE them.  I like them way more then the hair clips

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Susan Willey:

I think they are really cute too.  They do hold pretty good and are easy enough to pull off as you sew up to them.  I'm not fimilar with the Clover clamps so I can't comment on that.  I will be watching this thread to see what others think.

The clover clips are very expensive. I accidentally bought some and didn't realize how much they were until I got home. They were almost $40 for 50 of them. I love them, but I'm going to try the clothes pins at a much cheaper price. Thank you for such a great idea.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:30 PM

Nana:
but I did buy a large container of three different size binder clips and love how they work

Nana, you are referring to office supply binder clips, aren't you?  They can be purchased fairly inexpensively at Walmart and such.  Remember, gals, anything sold as a "quilting" notion (as in Clover's Wonder clips) will cost three times as much money!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 9:43 PM

Nancy

Yes that is what I am talking about.  The ones I bought had a total of 200 clips for about $5.  I love them.   Plus I can use them to join pattern pages together if needed.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:29 PM

So Nana,

Am i right in thinking that you use these at the edge of a table and clip the quilt, wadding and backing to the table??

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 685
Points 11,770
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:47 PM

I find this interesting that you all use clips and such for binding. I don't use anything. I use my sewn line after I attach the first side and use that for my guide. I was shown this by another quilter...really easy. I will not say that it is perfect, but it works for me. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:52 PM

I do the same thing zoetc.   I use 4 pins ahead of where I'm sewing so I don't have to pay close attention.  4 pins is the same distance as my thread is long.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245

I have tried that and find I still miss attaching the binding on the back in some places if I don't  have it held in place.  But, gini has a good idea of just using four ahead. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245

I have tried that and find I still miss attaching the binding on the back in some places if I don't  have it held in place.  But, gini has a good idea of just using four ahead. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 10:07 AM

I only ever use one clip a few inches ahead of me. When I get close to it I move it onward. I use the hair clips as well. I try to avoid buying items like this at a quilt shop. Many are just copy cats of something developed in another field. I have those tiny clothespins from my crafting days but the hair clips are my preference by far.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use