Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245
Susan Willey Posted: Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:02 PM

I have just joined your board.  I have looked around a little and it is just wonderful.  I have been quilting for a very short time.  I've wanted to make quilts for as long as I can remember but had no one to teach me.  No one in my family were quilters.  Then along came the internet and what a gold mine of information.  I have made 3 baby quilts and I am just finishing my 4th bedsize quilt.  One was a king and the others are queen size.  My daughter is the one I have to credit with really getting me started.  My very first was a small wall size baby quilt kit that I bought at a craft store.  After that I was encouraged enough to buy a Quilting for Dummies book, I just love them dummy books, and a few needed supplies to try a larger quilt.  My daughter wanted me to make one for her so she picked out the fabric and I surprisingly and very proudly made my first.  I have to say it is a really bad, I mean really bad quilting job, the blocks and piecing is what I am most proud of.  But she just loves it and I love that she loves it so much.  After that I made one for my other daughter and my son.  I am finishing up a queen size for my niece and will start one for my mother in law soon.  The quilting on each one has gotten better but I still need practice,  I am very proud of what I have been able to accomplish and I love that someone would want something I have made myself.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 651
Points 12,680

Welcome, Susan!   You're going to enjoy this site. Everyone is so very nice and always ready to help out with things- quilt-related or not!  Please post some photos of your quilts. We all love pictures!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:56 PM

Welcome, Susan!  How brave you are to learn piecing and quilting all at the same time!  I'm glad you are encouraged and not discouraged after attempting so much.  Have oodles of fun learning new things, and post any and all questions you may have.  The talented ladies here are very generous sharing their knowledge.  Besides the free videos on the Internet, I can highly recommend the online Craftsy classes.  

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilting/all

Never pay full prices for these classes - wait for a sale when they go to $19 or $29.  They offer good prices on fabrics & patterns, too.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245

Thank you Carol!  I will do that, I have pics of each of my children with their quilts, as soon as I figure out how to size them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 5:40 PM

Susan

Quilting quickly becomes a passion.  I am so proud of you and your accomplishments.  It is amazing what we can do if we set our minds to it.   I would love to see pics of your quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 245

Thank you Nancy!  I'm looking forward to all the info I'll get from all the expeirenced quilters out there.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 295
PaQuilter replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:04 PM

Welcome, Susan! I echo everyone else's comments. I started the same way you did. My mother in law was a quilter and after she passed, I found that she had passed on to me and my hubby several quilt tops that she had pieced. She knew that I loved to sew and she found a way to get me into quilting. She knew that I would finish the tops. I didn't have anyone else in the family that were quilters so I had to teach myself. It's 17 years later and I have made quite a few quilts and, as you have found, each one has gotten better. Good luck in your endeavors and welcome to the best quilting website! They have helped me out tremendously.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:17 PM

Hi, Susan. Settle in and spend time with us. This site has so much, you could spend a year just getting through it all. Enjoy!

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Welcome Susan -

You will love it here. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I would say you are hooked on quilting. Looking forward to seeing pics of your quilts.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:53 PM

Welcome Susan.  This is a great site if you can get past the hiccups it sometimes has, but they've been working on it and it seems to be doing better.  The quilters here are all great and range from beginners to much more experienced, maybe even expert and they are all so helpful and caring.

Stay in touch with us and you'll not only be addicted to quilting but addicted to keeping up with all of your quilting buddies on line.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:14 AM

hi susan, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,282
Points 173,428
Marie replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 9:02 AM

Hi Susan, welcome!  It's amazing what you have accomplished on your own, you should be very proud of yourself!  Can't wait to see some of your quilts.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 2:55 AM

welcome Susan

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,127
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 5:14 PM

Welcome Susan.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 5:24 PM

Glad you have joined us Susan.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use