Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce Posted: Thu, Aug 15 2013 8:12 PM

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to find out the age or year of a Featherweight sewing machine.  I had such a surprise today.  A friends son is visiting from SC and my friend gave me her Featherweight 221 machine.  It has the case, a extra foot and doesn't have a scratch on it.  I just couldn't believe it.  We were talking one day and I mentioned I had been looking at them on ebay and she said I have one.  Then when HS came today and said mom sent you a surprise I didn't imagine in any way it would be that little machine.  I can't wait to try it out.  Oh and it has the book with it and a pack of needles.

If anyone has any ideal of how to find out the year let me know.  I'm so excited.

Thanks,

JOyce

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 8:19 PM

Joyce, lucky you!  She must be a very good friend!  I hope you have lots of fun with your new machine.  I love mine!

Here is a listing of Singer serial numbers and their dates.   http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 8:25 PM

MN Nancy thank you so much I will look it up.  She is a very good friend and a long time friend.  It is a surprise we are still friends, I introduced her to her 1st exhusband and she still likes me. ha  I told her she could sell it and get quite a bit for it.  She said I can hand it down to one of my granddaughters as she doesn't have any yet.  I'm still in shock.

JOyce

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 8:41 PM

MNNancy looks like it is a 1960 on my Featherweight.  Now do you know where to order extra feet & bobbins to fit the machines.  It has one bobbin with it.  Will any metal bobbin  fit?  Thanks again.

JOyce

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:48 PM

Joyce, there are a number of sites that have been recommended for ordering parts.  I can personally vouch for this one:  http://www.featherweight221.com/fwrx/index.html

Steer clear of Featherweight bobbins sold at Joann's or other discount stores.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:51 PM

Here is one of our earlier discussions on Featherweights:

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/p/41443/542704.aspx#542704

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:55 PM

I have found some really good deals on accessories on ebay.   You might check them out.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:18 PM

I ordered a 1/4" inch foot and some bobbins on ebay...and haven't been disappointed.  Their website is sewvacusa.com, in Athens, Georgia.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:13 PM
Nana, Karla and others thanks for the info. Nancy I looked up the serial # and my machine is 1960. I tried her out tonight and had her sewing. DH and I went to a sew/vac shop today to see if they had a handle to fit the case but he said it is better off without it. Showed me where to oil her so I did that tonight. Didn't go too deep into that just the little holes. I also bought 4 bobbins and tried to wind one and can't get that to work correctly. It isn't the bobbin I don't think because I took the one that was in the machine out and tried that. I must be doing something wrong. It tries to wind but jerks a bit then nothing. The motor is running and the belt moving but no winding. Does anyone know what I might be missing. Thanks. Joyce
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:18 PM

Are you loosening the silver knob in the middle of the larger take up wheel.  (Is that what it's called?)  I think you said you received a manual with your machine.  Have you read it yet?  :-)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:21 PM
Nancy I was reading the manual and thought I had all the steps. I did loosen the wheel. I will try again tomorrow when I'm fresher and more light. It looks like there is only 2 places to feed the thread then onto the bobbin. Joyce
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 10:26 PM

Oh, here's a perfect video demonstration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrw2pKOsO4

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 12:33 PM

MNnancy:

Are you loosening the silver knob in the middle of the larger take up wheel.  (Is that what it's called?)  I think you said you received a manual with your machine.  Have you read it yet?  :-)

I always thought it was called the clutch - like on a car it allowes you to take the machine out of gear.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 539
Points 8,510
Joyce replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 11:39 PM
Hi Nancy & ladies, I watched the video and feel rather dumb the only reason the bobbin wouldn't work was I put the thread on the wrong way. It had to go in from the side. Also I pushed down on it a bit until it got going. I saw that on the video also. Today I went to a local Vac & Sew shop and bought a light bulb for it. I also oiled it the other day. Couldn't get 1 screw loose on the top but DH took care of that today. Now I have that one place to oil. OK I know a lot of ladies have named their machines. What do you think of the name Betty Jo or Betty or BJ for mine. My friend that gave her to me is named Betty Jo. What are your names for your machines? Joyce
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 12:44 AM

Joyce:
Hi Nancy & ladies, I watched the video and feel rather dumb the only reason the bobbin wouldn't work was I put the thread on the wrong way. It had to go in from the side. Also I pushed down on it a bit until it got going. I saw that on the video also. Today I went to a local Vac & Sew shop and bought a light bulb for it. I also oiled it the other day. Couldn't get 1 screw loose on the top but DH took care of that today. Now I have that one place to oil. OK I know a lot of ladies have named their machines. What do you think of the name Betty Jo or Betty or BJ for mine. My friend that gave her to me is named Betty Jo. What are your names for your machines? Joyce

I named my 1948 Featherweight "Garnet" after my DMIL who taught me most of what I knew about sewing (pre-quilting), loved fabric, and loved her treadle machine.

Winthrop, WA

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use