rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo posted on Thu, Aug 15 2013 3:44 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

This is a bed skirt given to me by my Dstep DIL to make a quilt.  It was 14 inches X about 265 inches. 

I cut that it into 2 inch strips

And made log cabin blocks

And some 9 patch blocks.

I have this.

I need 4 blocks to finish. 

HELP!  I can make more of the purple & gold(?) blocks ( ugly ones to both of us) but they seem to work in the center better than elsewhere.  Suggestions for the 4  remaining blocks.

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 4:41 PM

Flojo, that is some good use of ugly fabric.

What if you took 2 blocks off of the  finished corners and just have an angle on each corner rather than make the quilt a traditional rectangle.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 4:49 PM

Great suggestion!  Or I could make white blocks for all 4 corners to math the setting triangles I plan to use and create the illusion of an angled corner quilt !

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
18 Posts
Points 240
Frank replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 5:19 PM

Guess I have no taste, I like the pattern on the fabric. kinda southwestern. what if you matched the brown/beige in the center and used that color as large triangles on the corners. That would bring out that color. your quilt looks good.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 6:19 PM

Frank, of course you have good taste!  It is just different from mine!  All the males in my family agree with you!  I must admit it is turning out better than I thought it would. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 7:16 PM

Flojo

I actually really like your quilt.  Great use of ugly fabric.  Could you do something with the 9patches in the corners?

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Flojo, I am really impressed by what you've come up with.  Can't wait to see it finished!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 8:23 PM

very nice job, flojo.   we used to do ugly fabric contests here.   yours would have been a winner. 

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 2:43 PM

I like your quilt!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 7:32 AM

I really like that quilt!!

I am in AWE - who would have believed that with that fabric you could create such a beautiful design. SW colors and patterns are not something I am drawn to but maybe I am not thinking "out of the box" enough! Great job.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,333 Posts
Points 20,025

flojo,

1st, like the others have said, great use of the ugly fabric.  You've really transformed it.

My thoughts about the corners.. I personally would like to see something connect the edges or see them wholly separate.  Right now, there are those little holes between the sides and the top.  I'd love to see something there to bring them together or more white space to separate them.  Perhaps take off the 2 red blocks you have in the corners and add more white space there, so you have a line on each side, but not a full border.  Either that, or make it a true full border.  

I also like Jacy's idea to not have a traditional rectangle, but I would still need something to fill in those little gaps.. maybe just a dark binding would be enough..  :)

Best of luck and I hope you'll share a picture when you've decided on something!

Raleigh, NC

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use