Top 10 Posters

Adaptation of pattern size

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
cbgestalt posted on Wed, Aug 14 2013 7:58 PM

I want to make a light and shadow quilt from "Tradition with a twist." It calls for 3" strips, and I have 2 1/2" strips.

How can I best make the same size quilt?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 9:23 PM

I am not sure if this is the pattern you are doing, as there are a lot out there with many variations, but I noticed she is using 2 1/2 strips  for some of it. 

To make the quilt bigger you can either do more blocks or do something different with the border.  Hope this helps.

http://quilting.wonderhowto.com/how-to/sew-light-and-shadows-quilt-block-255145/

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 6:51 AM

I am not familiar with either the block or the pattern. However, if the block is the one Patti provided a link to, using a 3" strip would give you a 10" finished block. Using a 2 1/2" strip would give you a 8" finished block.

The only way to make up the difference is either more blocks, make a larger border or to use sashing. I fear that sashing would change the look of the quilt.  If adding blocks does not alter the design or arrangement  - I would probably go for more blocks. 

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use