Top 10 Posters

cutting fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 345
contra85 posted on Wed, Aug 14 2013 7:42 AM

Ever buy a beautiful piece of fabric, that you have fallen in love with ? Its perfect for multiple projects ? But you just can't bare the thought of cutting into it ? I think I have fallen into that trap. Afraid that it won't look as good as I hoped in a project, and now I can't use it for anything else ?

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

It seems to me there are patterns designed for just such this situation - they utilize large cuts of the fabric so you can appreciate the gorgeous prints.  Anyone know the names of some of those?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 7:56 AM

LOL - Oh Yes!!

5 years ago I bought 7 yds of this wonderful wild print for a stack and whack. It has been moved, patted reinspected and refolded many times. I just can not bring myself to cut it.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 75 Contributor
1,509 Posts
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 8:04 AM

I have a pattern called 'Just Can't Cut It' that I've used dozens of times and it's so easy.  Uses 12 inch finished blocks to showcase that fabric and 5 coordinating ones.  I even reduced the size to 6 inch finished blocks for baby quilts.  Hope this helps.

Diana in East TN

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

I think that's why I have a while room of fabric I've never used. Heehee

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,139 Posts
Points 14,735
Dawn replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:56 AM

Yep, I think that is why I don't make a lot of quilts, just can't cut into the fabric!  I got some fabric in Hawaii, and I did find a pattern that uses large pieces of fabric.  Haven't made it yet . . . .  :-) 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,418 Posts
Points 415,784
gini replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 6:19 PM

oh, my, yes....  i have a room full of those

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

Melissa Halpain:

I think that's why I have a while room of fabric I've never used. Heehee

I meant a "whole" room!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,561 Posts
Points 139,563

Definitely yes. It was a beautiful floral that called out for a fussy cut to capture all the bouquets. They made the same print in yardage of:  one with a white background and another a deep burgundy red, both so beautiful. I sat on this for a long, long time and I think I finally have just decided on a fussy cut block pattern that's simple and surrounded by strips with a block on the corners. The fussy cuts will be about 10 inches.....Simple, and elegant. I can do the corner blocks any way I want, but the focus will be on that main fabric.

Outside of that traditional thinking, big blocks are in for modern quilts, And I've seen so many I love. Take your focus fabric and chunk it out with coordinating colors in larger blocks, strips. Cut a few pieces in various sizes and lay them out.

And if that doesn't work, why not just use some of your  fav in a top and back it totally with this fabric so it could be reversable?  Make it yours, and make it something you, or a loved one loves.....   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,399 Posts
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:47 PM

I know.  I just went to my fabrics to look for something, and I must have spent half an hour just petting a few of my favorite pieces.   I am afraid I'll do something that is not as special as the fabric itself.  Kind of like my "good" set of dishes.  I finally decided, if I didn't use them, they'd end up in a box at some yard sale after I'm gone.  So I took the everyday dishes to a yard sale and started using the good.  They have a few chips in them now.  But so what.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,292 Posts
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:02 AM

My best motivator to make use of whatever I have is my son. He'll just use the dumpster when it comes to the point where he has to clean out my apartment. I sold one set of china and didn't get much cash but it did allow me to really beef up my fabric supply at the time. I still have some china to just feast my eyes on. I could have said that I had fabric too pretty to cut when Marge P sent me the Birthday Flower line. Nope. It has given me a vast number of projects that worked up quite quickly because I cut large blocks. I also discovered you can make very pretty quits without a triangle in sight.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,499 Posts
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:08 AM

yep this is some of mine that i cant bear to cut into.

And this is just a few, i used to feel like that about my Kona bay fabric but after a long period of treatment consisting of touching it lots i seem to be getting over it.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,499 Posts
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:14 AM

Diana:

I have a pattern called 'Just Can't Cut It' that I've used dozens of times and it's so easy.  Uses 12 inch finished blocks to showcase that fabric and 5 coordinating ones.  I even reduced the size to 6 inch finished blocks for baby quilts.  Hope this helps.

Diana in East TN

Diana,

I think im going to have to invest in that pattern, it looks just right for me.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:00 PM

Frances

I think a pillowcase for that top one so that you can drool on those gorgeous  specimens of manhood all night.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,499 Posts
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 11:03 PM

Nana,

You could be right, I wonder if they will ever make Mark Harmon fabric, now that would make a great pillowcase.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use