rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Mon, Aug 12 2013 9:49 AM

Hello all

I do my quilting by hand and have used Coats and Clark hand quilting thread for this purpose almost exclusively.  This is 100% cotton thread.

I normally quilt cotton fabrics with cotton batting.

I have purchased a few roll of Polyester Isacord Embroidery Thread that I absolutely LOVE.  Here's a link to the information: http://www.redrockthreads.com/isacord-thread/isacord-thread.asp

For some reason I have always assumed that using cotton thread is the best option, but I wonder why?

I would love to quilt with this embroidery thread - it seems to be the same weight as my hand quilting thread, but it is SO much more smooth.  It doesn't tangle and it seems so much easier on my hands.

Is there a reason that I have this idea that I must use cotton thread?  Does anyone else here use polyester thread?  Is there an issue with polyester perhaps not lasting as long?  It seems to me that polyester would be stronger of the two.  Remember this is for hand quilting, I don't use a sewing machine on anything.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 9:51 PM

I have been using lots of Sulky and Mettler in my machine embroidery and like both of them.  I have easy access to Sulky and occasionally to Mettler.  I would have to order Isacord.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,454 Posts
Points 176,418
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:20 AM

Thanks Kris, that video was great!  Love your Avatar!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,454 Posts
Points 176,418
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:27 AM

Donna B:
Which brings to mind, I wonder if he has ever done the same demo switching the threads...using white poly and black cotton.  And, if so,  if the results were the same or different?

I'd also like to get an answer to this question, Donna.  Like Nana, I don't have a source of Isacord nearby.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,812 Posts
Points 43,714
Eileen replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 1:02 PM

Jenia,

Kris sent you to a good link! I heard "Dr. Bob" from Superior Threads speak at a quilt show last year - made a lot of sense.  One thing he said (probably was in the video) is that we were taught for years that cotton fabric = cotton thread.  That is just not the case any more.  I have not used Isacord for anything but the bobbin in my long arm and it did not work for that (I hadn't realized what I picked up when i picked it - I was just looking at a perfect color match for my quilt backing).  If you want to know more about thread, check out "Dr. Bob's" company - Superior Thread.  They have all kinds of info on their threads, what to use them for & what needle sizes to use with each.

I love this site for Q & A - so much good information is shared.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,840 Posts
Points 366,257
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 5:40 PM

Nana:

I have been using lots of Sulky and Mettler in my machine embroidery and like both of them.  I have easy access to Sulky and occasionally to Mettler.  I would have to order Isacord.

I like Sulky a lot. Amazing colours. I haven't tried Isacord but I order from Red Rocks Threads quite often. Might have to give it a try.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,840 Posts
Points 366,257
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 14 2013 5:41 PM

Marie:

Thanks Kris, that video was great!  Love your Avatar!

Thanks Marie.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use