Top 10 Posters

San Antonio Quilt show this weekend... are you going?

Page 2 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 59 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:28 PM

Debbie-do:

Frances:

Debbie,

It looks like you had a great time, which is on your list of things to do the postage stamp quilt??

lots of love

Francesxx

yes Ma'am!

Debbie,

If you decide what size squares we could swap???

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,770

Nana, the quilter of the leather quilts was a man.  I'm wondering how many needles were broken in the making of those quilts and what kind of machine he used!  :o) 

Frances, that would be a fun idea!  I wonder if we could get a postage stamp swap going here!  I'm inclined to use 1" or 1 1/2" squares.  Before I  answered this I went online to find out what the standard is and it seems to be acceptable to use anywhere between 1" to 2 1/2" which would allow for the use of jelly rolls for easier cutting.  My thought is that a current postage stamp is 1" x 7/8"  so using 1 1/2" squares of fabric would bring it pretty close to that.  As an example, I found a swap online requiring each set to be swapped to be 100 squares of the same size, no duplicate fabrics and people can swap up to 12 sets.  NO duplicates is a bit extreme to me.  I'm thinking 3 - 5 duplicates would be ok in a stack of 100.  It would make sense to swap multiple sets or with multiple people though to make cutting a little easier, using strips.

Sounds like fun!  do you want to swap with just me or shall we try to get a group swap going?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 3:32 PM

Debbie-do:
or shall we try to get a group swap going?

I would love to swap these tiny squares if you decide to share this swap on QCA.  If not I'd love to swap with you and Frances.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,770

Great Mimi!  I found this chart online ... looks like we need lots of squares to make a quilt.

Charm Size2.5 in.2 in.1.5 in.1 in.
12×12″ (1 blk.) 36 64 144 576
48×60″ (20 blk.) 720 1,280 2,880 11,520
60×60″ (25 blk.) 900 1,600 3,600 14,400
72×90″ (45 blk.) 1,620 2,880 6,480 25,920
84×96″ (56 blk.) 2,016 3,584 8,064 26,496
96×108″ (72 blk.) 2,592 4,608 10,368 41,472
108×108″ (100 blk.) 3,600 6,400 14,400 57,600

found some other good guidelines too...

Please use only 100% cotton fabric that is suitable for quilting. When you hold it up to the light, you should not be able to see through it. Homespuns or flannels should not be used for this swap. Hopefully, your fabric has been pre-washed before cutting, but that may not always be possible. Be sure to use good cutting practices while preparing your charms, no selvedges, never torn, no ripped out stitch holes showing, and so on. No one cuts perfectly, but strive for accuracy in your cutting.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 6:54 PM

Thanks for all the info.  Looks daunting but it's just one seam at a time.

If the swap was for 20 people and we picked the 96 x 108 quilt made from 2 inch squares each person would have to send 231 squares to each swapper.   The 84 x 96 would be 180 to each swapper. A 60 x 60 would be 80 to each participant.  Not overwhelming to me but I just finished making 512+ HST's. This is different as it's cutting from my stash.  One question I have..... is the charm size the unfinished size?  I guess yes because that's what people would be cutting.  I could send you 231 different 2 inch squares tomorrow.  We could ask Roxana to open a thread to see if there is any interest in SWAPS if you want although a lot is happening right now.  MQ9, Loyal Union Soldier sampler quilt, blue and white swaps 1 & 2, RR 4, Secret Santa's getting close to mailing deadline, Red and White heart block swap and Mailbox surprises is year round.  So the beginning of 2014 might be a better time to advertise a new swap.  Would you want to lead it?  I know work would get in my way.  If it's just you, me, and Frances then we could just decide how many squares to send, like 400, (you pick the #) to the other two people, and then make up the rest from our stashes. No matter what, I'm going to start cutting 2 inch squares from every fabric I work with from now on. Okay, where around here can I find an empty plastic container for these babies?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:15 PM

Count me in. I'd love to swap my 2-1/2" squares! I think we could open a thread and I just skimmed Mimi's email. We aren't talking new fabric.... so I want in!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:23 PM

Ok, I read it all now... and 2 inch squares are fine with me too. How many duplicates of a fabric? I don't mind collecting them and even sending them over to Frances. Can I please participate? I can't hostess since I'm not quite (almost though) through with the HST swap. Another week and a half and those babies will be gone!!!

So tell me what you are thinking. I bet there would be quite a few QCA swappers who would participate even with all there is going on. What a wonderful way to move scraps.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,770

With all that's going on this might be a good time to make a plan and start taking names so as everyone works on the current projects, they can be starting a collection of squares.  Two inch squares are as big as I'd like to go.  Makes more sense after looking at that chart.  I would think no more than 2 or 3 repeats of fabric per set of 100 - 200 squares?  Set a mailing date for January  or do you think people would forget?  End of November?  Would you suggest an other restrictions to the ones I already shared ?

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 8:28 PM

If it were a typical swap, we'd also include how to send them - in baggies of 100, for example, and to how many participants would you have. Stuff like that... Also how many sets could someone sign up for? That might go into your participant list. So determine how many you want in a set first.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 8:57 PM

Debbie, I can hostess the swap if we open it say September 15 but start talking about in the swap ideas group. We need to figure out the particulars. The number of participants would be dependent on how many squares you were seeking. The cool thing about a swap is that say I may make 20 sets of 100 squares with no more than two duplicates per 100 but my 20 bags could be the same. In other words I may not duplicate a fabric but twice in one bag of 100 but I may put two pieces of that fabric in all 20 bags, which means I'll could at most cut (40) 2" squares from one fabric. The beauty of the swap is that though my 20 bags could (not likely) be the same, I'll only get back one and the percentages are in our favor of getting back 19 other bags that are all different.

1. What size quilt do we want to make? That will help us decide how many participants and how many squares per bag.

2. Start date for signing up would be September 15. .... I do think TOO long makes it hard but if we are wanting to collect scraps from the many projects that are going on, a January mailing date is not unreasonable. Swappers could be cutting and putting into bags all fall. They don't forget as long as we keep talking about it within the thread.

3. Specify the details you said before in requirements. Fabric in the swaps is NOT prewashed though so the 2 inch size may be good since there will be a little bit of shrinkage once they are put together. Specify no more than 2 repeats per 100 but that the 100 can come from all sorts of scraps that meet the fabric requirements.

Mimi, help me here. You've been in several swaps. What am I missing. I'm just thinking out loud now.

I think it would go over, even with everything that's going on because all it takes is cutting time. I don't know about you all but I need some cutting time as a part of my quilting  therapy!  It's a break from the machine or thinking. It doesn't take a lot of thought once the fabric is straight.

What else?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,770
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 10:55 PM

My goodness you've thought this out pretty quickly and thoroughly!  You must have done several swaps.  Penny says she wants to join in and suggests we stipulate sending lights AND darks.  I don't think we can say not to prewash it since lots of people prewash fabric before cutting for a quilt and this is to use up scraps.  Since you really can't prewash charms and jelly rolls we'll probably get a mixed assortment.

I also think if someone wants to make a bigger quilt they should enter more sets than someone wanting a smaller quilt so they'll get more in return instead of trying to agree on a size to make.  There are many different ways to put a quilt together using other fabrics... https://www.google.com/search?aq=hts&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS407US408&q=Postage%20Stamp%20Quilt&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FgskUt_RF8upsQTPzICoAg&biw=1276&bih=621&sei=GAskUpjaBa2hsASZs4CIBw  so you may be able to make a bigger quilt than me using the same number of squares.

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:24 PM

Im up for this if no one minds sending to the UK, ive never done a swap before so not really sure how the posting thing works. If we are using our stash which is what i intend to do some of mine is pre washed but most isnt, just give me plenty of time to get them cut, plus if we know early on how many are participating its easier just to cut some extra squares everytime you cut some fabric for your latest project.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Mon, Sep 2 2013 5:07 AM

Hey Debbie,

After this one you could do an EPP swap, wow just think you could have another EPP to quilt, by the way how is your GFG or shouldnt i ask??

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 2 2013 5:14 AM

Debbie and Frances...

I agree that we can't stipulate on prewashing since this is to use scraps. What is is.I think that is a rule for those who are buying fabric. No one should be buying fabric for this swap.  

Thanks for sharing the Google images. I can see where the end result can be quite various. We have to figure though a basic minimum we'd like in order to determine some numbers. .... I do think we need to start with a basic quilt size in order to determine the number each person will prepare in the swap. If they want to make a bigger quilt, then they can enter the swap more times. For example, Mimi and I wanted a larger quilt from the HST swap, so we entered it twice, just with different fabrics, so everyone got a bigger selection in return.  .... What basic size are you thinking of?

We can have a cut-off date for signing up, say (thinking out loud) October 31, so we would know for sure how many participants there would be. Or earlier if you prefer. I might could get the swap opened a few days earlier if all goes well and we have the facts lined out. ... And I don't have to host it. This is your idea. I just want to be a part of it.

Are you all members of the FABRIC SWAP GROUP? I think we'll find more swappers there. If you decide you want to do this outside of QCA, I still want to participate. This is your idea. I'm just trying to help. I do have a knowledge of swaps and learn more and more each day as I fill in for Barbara while she recovers. And I think we'll pick up more swappers from there. 

I think darks and lights are good but I wouldn't want to speculate a number. Maybe say, "approximately half dark and half light."

Frances, the way a swap works is that everyone sends their swap to one person along with a postage paid self-addressed envelope for return. Then the hostess gathers and sorts the swaps turned in and send back the new collection at the end of the swap.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Mon, Sep 2 2013 6:55 AM

Ok... here's what I've assembled so far:

POSTAGE STAMP SCRAP SWAP

Hostess: _____________
Start Date: September 15
Mail Date: January 15, 2014 …. Swaps will be returned as soon after all swappers turn in their swaps.
Number of Participants: _____ If you want a larger quilt, you may sign up more than once, just use different fabrics in the subsequent sets you make in order to assure that all swappers get an assortment back.
You pick your size and number of times to enter the swap, Using 2" squares, it requires 64 squares to make up one 12" x 12" block. For a 20-block, 48" x 60" quilt, you'd need 1,280 squares. For a 25-block, 60" x 60" quilt, you'd need 1,600 squares. For a 45-block, 72" x 90" quilt, you'd need 2,880 squares. For a 56-block, 84" x 96" quilt, you'd need 3,584 squares. For a 72-block, 96" x 108" quilt, you'd need 4,608 squares. For a 100-block, 108" x 108" quilt, you'd need 6,400 squares.

Details:
  1. Good quality fabric store fabric suitable for quilting. When you hold it up to the light, you shouldn't be able to see through it. Homespuns or flannels should NOT be used for this swap. Since this is for scraps, a mixture of washed and not washed fabric may be included. Be sure to use good cutting practices while preparing your squares - no selvedges, never torn, no ripped out stitch holes showing, etc. Strive for accuracy in your cutting.
  2. Package (100 or ____) 2" squares in a baggie for each participant. No more than 2 duplicates of any fabric per 100 or ____. Also, include approximately an equal number of darks and lights.
  3. Sign up by posting in the thread and then friend the hostess so you can send your personal information via private message conversation. Send your name, home address, phone number, and personal email address to the hostess. She'll return her information to you by reply so that you will know where to mail your completed bags.
  4. Include a pre-paid self addressed envelope for the return of the swap. Where possible, use flat rate envelopes from the USPS. 

THis is a start. Can you all think of anything else that needs to be included (besides filling in the blanks?

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use