Top 10 Posters

New quilt group forming in Raytown, Missouri. (Raytown, east KCMO, Independence)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Bev of Raytown MO Posted: Fri, Aug 2 2013 7:07 AM

Calling all quilters, in and around Raytown, Missouri!

If you've wished for a an opportunity to share your love of quilting with other quilters in our special corner of KC-metro, then here is your chance to join a start-up quilting group.

Beginning in September, we will be meeting monthly at the Show-Me Quilting shop at 6221 Blue Ridge Boulevard, in the Raytown Plaza shopping center. Currently the plans are to have this be a night-time group, with meetings on the third Thursday of each month, from 7-9 p.m. The group is open to quilters of all skill levels. Dues, if any, will be determined by the members at an early meeting.

The meetings will be very laid-back and informal. Mostly, we'll work on our own handsewing projects and chat, with little in the way of a business meeting. Of course, there will be Show 'N Tell, when members display quilt projects they have completed or which are works in progress. Sometimes we might have joint projects, such as round robin quilts, blocks-of-the month, or using a challenge fabric. We can have fabric swaps, UFO challenges, and meeting topics such as favorite quilting tips and tools. An annual activity might be a Friendship Block Exchange; where each participant makes one or more blocks and a drawing determines the lucky winner of all the blocks.

If you think you might be interested in joining this newest quilting group, please send an email to epqgnews "at" yahoo"dot"com.  Thank you.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735

Bev, I am interested in how you got this started? I don't live in KC area, but in San Antonio TX.  Have been to quilt guilds like this in New Mexico and I loved it. I thought that was how all guilds worked.  So when I started going to a few here in this area, I was very disappointed as the whole thing is meetings, sometimes a project someone is showing, but mostly meetings.  I didn't like meetings at work, I definitely don't like to pay to go to them!!  lol.  

I would love a guild meeting here like that, or how to start one on my own.  I don't care if it's just a group of friends getting together to sew, which I would love to do, but where do you have everyone get together? or where do you meet more friends that also want to meet like this? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 10:53 AM

Michelle

I know that the guilds here have groups called Bees that meet at different peoples houses once a month.   I don't know how you get them started though.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:05 AM

Nana:

Michelle

I know that the guilds here have groups called Bees that meet at different peoples houses once a month.   I don't know how you get them started though.

Nana and Michelle, I am the "Bee Keeper" for our local Guild so I seek out new members to see if they want in a sewing bee and I help others start new bees. Then I also keep a list of active bees in the Guild and report the numbers to our Guild President. The bees also help with fundraising, etc. Many get together and work on new techniques, personal projects, or particular blocks to exchange. The list can go on and on. 

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. I love what I do for the Guild. Our Guild meetings are brief and often we have a program and always Show 'n Tell, door prizes, etc. Then, we usually have a speaker who then teaches a class in the afternoon and a full day class the next day. We have a great Guild and I have been exposed to so many talents!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:11 AM

Roxanne,  that is what I am looking for also.  Maybe if I can ask around in the guilds themselves if this is something they do or if anyone is interested in starting this.  I would love that. 

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 714
Points 14,000
Sue replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:11 AM

MIchelle,

To get one started, just announce it!  You can start at your home or if there is a shop that has a "back room" or classroom, ask to use it.

I started one at the clubhouse in the complex where I live.  Started with just 3 people almost 5 years ago and now there are more than 20 of us.  We meet every Thursday from 10 til 2 or whenever one needs to leave.  Lunch is brought in brown bags and a lot of times someone brings something to share.  We are currently doing a skill builder workshop once a month, ending in Dec.  Then someone will suggest a project we might want to work on starting in Jan, or we may just work on our own things for a while. 

In the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 12:24 PM

This is a great idea.  I am wanting to start with just a few friends over and see how it goes! 

Michelle B

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:28 PM

roxana, how big is your guild

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 4:37 PM

I think  there are 150 members or so... with about 2/3 of them in sewing bees, many in more than one. I'm in two and thinking of joining a third. I love getting together and working with others on sewing projects.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use