rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia Posted: Thu, Aug 1 2013 11:17 AM

Hello QCA

I would love to know what ya'll think of this idea.

I recently viewed Tim Latimer's video on the Trapunto method of quilting.  Of course he makes everything looks so simple.  Here's the link to his page:

http://timquilts.com/2013/03/26/trapunto-video/

I have a quilt top given to me by my grandmother that is already put together - it consists of all 2-inch squares in three colors (pink, green, and white).  This was given to my Granny by someone else, she didn't make it.  She wants me to do with it whatever I would like.  I would really love to make it look special by making it a puffy quilt (similar to the photo here).

All of the instructions I have read to make a puffy quilt involve making tiny little pillows and then sewing them together with a backing.  Unfortunately the quilt top I have is already pieced, so I would like to make it puffy as I quilt it.

I'm curious if you think I could use the Trapunto method something like Tim shows in his website to puff out my quilt top?  My idea would be to not put a batting in the center, but put on a backing fabric loosely as I go.  Then sew each square to the back and stuff it Trapunto style from the inside toward the outside squares as I work the rows.

So the back would have quilting in squares (probably  1.5" squares) so that I lave the 1/2 in for puffing on each square (1/4 inch each side). 

I would love to hear what you think of this idea, possible, or impossible?

The quilt top is not spectacular as is, but I think the puffy idea would make it quite a lovely piece.  I thought I had a photo here to show you all, but I don't, I'm sorry about that.  It's all plain (no pattern) light-weight cotton fabric and mostly white pieces with pink and hunter green diamonds here and there 

If I can't puff it, I'm going to have to come up with some pretty unique quilting idea to jazz it up some. 

Thanks for your thoughts

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 4 2013 9:24 AM

That sounds like a difficult process.   Not as puffy but perhaps easier would be to use a fluffy 100% cotton batting, one that will shrink when washed. 

So hard to tell what would work.  I'd try your method with some scraps first.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 9:52 AM

Thanks, Patti.  Good idea, it would be easy to try with scraps first just to see if it can be done. 

If I have success I will post it again here sometime in the far off future.  It's just an idea that has been swimming around in my noggin, ha, maybe it's time to nock that idea back into place, eh?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 9:19 PM

I'd love to see the pictures. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use