need advice on wedding quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 33 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Patti posted on Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:22 AM

I now have the final plan.  Although I tried to import the fabrics to EQ5, the colors are not exact, nor was I able to fussy cut for the inner squares, nor the border.  But you get the idea.  Here are the fabrics to get a better idea of color.  It will be a little over 100 inches square.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:25 AM

I see my photo is missing one of the fabrics.  It has the light white background with tiny bouquets from the theme fabric. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580

Patti,

I think non quilters refer to modern or traditional in terms of colours where as quilters refer to modern or traditional in paterns, i bet anything that if you put a DWR in front of her with batiks and pastels she probably would not recognise it as the same design (I know ive watched people do it) however if she doesnt like it i am more than happy to take either one off of you.

Or if you would like to be really ambitious there is this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctpublishing/6199010758/in/set-72157627789183806 which is sort of a DWR with a difference done in EPP (could still do it with the girls at retreat) okay i will go now before you slap me round the back of my head.

I know whatever you choose it will look stunning.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,344 Posts
Points 38,975
Mimi replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 8:38 AM

First the fabrics are very pastel except for the medium purple with dots. And the fabric is very pretty. If there is already a white for the light fabric would you want to add another?  If I was going to add a yellow it would be the shade of butter, that rich creamy yellow.  Maybe the blue could be a medium shade like in the third fabric with white background? Whatever you decide it's going to be wonderful.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
528 Posts
Points 10,780

Patti, How about combining the two patterns and doing a lone star surrounded by dwr? Your fabrics are very pretty!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,642 Posts
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 9:46 AM

I agree with Frances, modern is more about the colors than the design.  Your fabrics are very pretty, but to me they don't look very modern.

Google Modern wedding ring quilt and see if there's something that inspires you. Here's a few I found. I think that first one is really cool.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 10:50 AM

Jacy

I agree....those definitely aren't your mother's DWRs.  I love that first one...really different.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,220 Posts
Points 41,005

Jacy:
I agree with Frances, modern is more about the colors than the design.  Your fabrics are very pretty, but to me they don't look very modern.

And I agree with Frances and Jacy.  I think the fabric sets the tone more than the design.  I love your lavender fabrics, but to me they don't ring modern.

That first pic from Jacy with the shading in the rings is really spectacular yet not traditional.  Personally, I find a whole quilt of double wedding rings a little "over-whelming" and on the boring side.  Maybe having a center of DWR's, a fairly wide border of the back-ground fabric, and finally a "straight-lined" (ie piano-key?) border using the fabrics from the DWR melons.  I really like quilts that combine both curves and straight lines...they just seem to have more pizzaz.  Just MHO...lol!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580

Patti,

If you search Pinterest using double wedding ring quilt there are some amazing ones.

lots of love

Francesxx

Oh no im now thinking of doing the EPP version i mentioned earlier in batiks or amish solids, patti now look what you started.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 1:00 PM

I now have the final plan.  Although I tried to import the fabrics to EQ5, the colors are not exact, nor was I able to fussy cut for the inner squares, nor the border.  But you get the idea.  Here are the fabrics to get a better idea of color.  It will be a little over 100 inches square.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,378 Posts
Points 48,830
Ginny replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 1:13 PM

I get the idea for the quilt, Patti  It is going to be gorgeous    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 1:18 PM

I lied.  Here is the final. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 1:24 PM

Good grief.  I corrected the earlier post, now it wont let me delete the last one.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580

Patti,

It looks wonderful, if i thought id get a quilt like this id even consider getting married again.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,233 Posts
Points 35,340
Linda replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 1:47 PM

Patti, it's a beautiful quilt. You better get working if you are going to be done by November.

Hugs.

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use