Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 110
Jennifer Posted: Tue, Jul 30 2013 7:14 PM

Hi, my Name is Jennifer, I am new to quilting,and sorta new at sewing, I have always loved quilts& until I started making a skirt here& there. By skirt I mean basic circle with a drawstring or elastic waist. I have always loved quilts, probably because we always used quilts. I remember at night when I was young and the comforting feeling of cuddling up with my favorite quilt,studying the fabric, tracing the stitches with my fingers. I started collecting quilts. It did not occur to me that I could actually make one! As I began to look for fabric for skirts, it hit me. I could make a quilt! I began gathering vintage sheets, linens& any fabric I could. Then I started to look at patterns,that is where I am now. I have studied every quilt in my collection,and tons of patterns online. I am still looking, but not yet sewing. There are so many things I don't know about!   So many beginner patterns, I knew quilting was something completely different & a very special skill. I was going to need help..a lot of help. I have never used patterns, I can hardly sew a straight line! My first skirt was all by hand, then I got a little machine,that was easier. Now I want to make a quilt! I am going to make a quilt,then I am going to make another quilt!! I doodle quilt blocks, I pour over quilt patterns, the only thing left to do is actually Make one..  Thank-you for reading. Future Quilter, Jennifer

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 7:31 PM

Jennifer, I felt the same way.  My first quilt was for my grandson, just simple blocks all sewn together.  I didn't know anything about 1/4" seams, and 4 patches and 9 patches, so I did it all the hard way, one block at a time sewn together until the row was as long as I wanted it.  Then I started the next row and sewed it together and sewed it to the first row.  My seams didn't match...but I'm better now.  I took a beginning quilting class at the local quilt shop and boy did I learn some short cuts.  You'll learn them, too, just jump in and do a simple pattern to begin with.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 7:33 PM

Welcome to the group Jennifer. There are so many wonderful and helpful ladies here, and I wish you all the best in your quilting experience.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:46 PM

Jennifer, welcome to the  wild, wonderful world of quilting. You have come to the right place. First, find your local LQS (local quilt shop) and see what classes they offer. You would really do well to take a few classes to start. I had made two, very sad, quilts, before I ever took a class. So, I started with a  beginning quilt class. After that, I took a hand quilting class. and that is all....until June2013  when I went to the Smokey Mountain Retreat and Mimi, a member here, took me under her wing. Now, I can PRESS fabric correctly so my seams lay flat. Oh, it is fun but you have a lot to learn. So, get busy, girl.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,842
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 9:50 PM

Welcome Jennifer.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:02 PM

Hi Jennifer!  It's fun to meet a new quilter who is so excited to get started!  There are a lot of helpful videos available online.  Just Google "beginning quilting" or "quarter inch seam" or topics like that.  

Please come chat with us frequently and don't be afraid to ask any questions.  You've just introduced yourself to hundreds of quilters who LOVE sharing what they know!

Where do you live, by the way?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,606
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:14 PM

Hi Jennifer and welcome to the best  quilting site online.  You'll love it here.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 20,740

Jennifer,

First, Welcome.  :)  You're in the right place.  There are lots of friendly ladies here who can answer all your questions.  

Also, If you're looking for a good beginner pattern, a very straightforward one that a lot of people start with is called Yellow Brick Road.  Quilt patterns are nothing like sewing patterns.  They are much simpler.  Many don't provide actual "patterns" that you cut out and trace.  They are more just instructions.  

For this one, the author provides lots of pictures and shows every single step required to make the quilt - from start to finish (as opposed to some quilt patterns that just explain how to make the top).  It's also a plan that's hard to screw up.  :)  There are no funky angles, not many points to match up, very few aspects that can "go wrong".  It's a good first introduction to quilting.  Just a thought.  Of course, there are a billion beautiful quilts out there.  This is just one that some people choose to start with.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Atkinson-Designs-Patterns-Yellow-Brick/dp/B003OCM0EK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375275889&sr=8-1&keywords=yellow+brick+road+quilt+pattern

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:26 AM

Welcome Jennifer.  You will like this group and feel free to ask as many questions as you want.  Taking a beginning quilting class at your local quilt store is a good way to go.  But if not that, there are lots of videos out there on line.  When I want to learn a new technique or tip, I often go to youtube.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:09 PM

Welcome Jennifer

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,464
gini replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:22 PM

Hello Jennifer, you have found a great group.  I hope you jump right in and join  the shenanigans, er, quilting talk.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,395

Hello Jennifer, Hope you enjoy yourself as much as we do. It is a great group. 

Julienne - Mid Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 11:26 AM

Hi  Jennifer and welcome. This is a great place to hang out filled with wonderful folks willing to share. 

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use