Double Wedding Ring started

Page 4 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 62 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215

Here's the alternate layout. Now that I see the photos side by side I'm having second thoughts about maybe arranging it this way afterall.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:22 PM

Judy

I like the first layout the best.  It made my eyes move round and round.  I tend to get lost with the movement in the second layout.   Beautiful colors and a great job on your piecing.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,318
Points 27,020
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:40 PM

Beautiful work, I like the second layout.  This is on my bucket list.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:47 PM

I like the second layout also.  It has continuity.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215

Judy T-Bellingham:

Here's the alternate layout. Now that I see the photos side by side I'm having second thoughts about maybe arranging it this way afterall.

This one? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 1:40 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I've made progress on the DWR quilt. I have everything cut out, the arcs constructed and most of the melons put together. 

I put some of the melons up on my design wall along with the centers.Nothing is sewn to the centers yet. I think I'll be doing that at the Oregon retreat. I decided to do the 53x77 size which is 4 blocks across x 6 down. I have enough cut out for the queen size but lost my momentum and decided on the smaller size. Also, I think I'm not over the moon thrilled with the colors so didn't want to put that much time in. In the picture the yellows don't really show up well.

I'm still playing with the layout. Having complete blue/green rings and complete yellow/gold rings didn't look quite right so I'm trying this configuration. Will stare at it for the next 6 weeks and decide in Oregon how I will lay it out.

I like this one.  In the second one all I see are the orange rings.   In this one I follow all the colors and see all the rings.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105

Man, you are quick, Judy!  Great work!  If you're wanting feedback, I also like the 2nd layout better.  It looks more even... at the same time though, I always like these quilts when each ring is a different color, so I honestly don't know what I would do it I were you.  Good luck with that decision!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,713
Marie replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:40 AM

Judy, I'm with Nana, the first one is my choice.  Nana described why beautifully.  You are amazing, when you make a commitment you certainly follow through!  It's going to be an awesome quilt!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 10:47 PM

Judy, if you are not liking how this quilt is looking, would you consider cutting a few more patches? I'm wondering if you changed out the greens to have all blues on one ark, and yellows on the other perhaps the blue arc would show up better with the yellow, the green maybe too close in color to the yellows. You could cut just a few and just pin them over the ones you have already sewn to see if that would help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 10:58 PM

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

Roxana:

look into the Sissix Big Shot!  I bought it and love it.  Much cheaper than the accuquilt and more sturdy.  They do not have as many dies, but the ones they do have are cheaper than accuquilt dies and many of the accuquilt dies fit it.

I looked into the sissix big shot pro - you can actually use the accuquilt dies with an adapter.  It looked like a really excellent system, but at least the pro version was more expensive than the accuquilt go since you can usually get a big discount on the accu quilts and I couldn't find any significant discounts on the sissix sytem.  It honestly would have been my first choice if not for the higher price (at least for the Pro version).  

That wasn't me who said that about the Sissix and I didn't know there was another user by my name. I own the Accuquilt and agree with what many have said. Sewforless has the system on sale from time to time at 50% of what you'd pay in the stores. I also agree with others that the dies go on sale if you just watch for them from the various online venders. Some are even at a good price at Hancock's and JoAnns without a coupon.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215

Jacy:
Judy, if you are not liking how this quilt is looking, would you consider cutting a few more patches? I'm wondering if you changed out the greens to have all blues on one ark, and yellows on the other perhaps the blue arc would show up better with the yellow

That probably would have been a good idea. But the arcs are all completed and sewn to the melons, so it is what it is. That's OK, I'll finish it but it will be smaller than what I had originally intended. I started out thinking I was going to do queen size, came down to twin size and now it's planned to be lap size. 

And, I shouldn't whine. Out of the many quilts I've made, I've only had a few that I couldn't bring myself to finish. I think what is bothering me the most is that I was trying to be "creative" and it just hasn't worked like I'd hoped. But it's been a good experience. I've always been leery of sewing arc seams but no more. It's actually quite simple.

And, perhaps when I quilt it, I will like it better.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 11:04 PM

Judy,  I think it is turning out wonderfully!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 5:04 PM

I have made two kings, and several wall hanging sized DWR using rotary cut templates, and Flynn's method to assemble  the rings. I am not a particularly accurate piecer, no matter how much I think I am at the time. 

It isn't as much a stickler a pattern as you imagine. I never had any trouble with mine, and the wee bit of looseness I had in a couple of melons quilted down without any difficulty. The bias pieces can be very forgiving. Go slow, and keep your wits about you. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

Beware, though! If you make one, you will be planning your next before the binding is on. They are addicting.

My oldest daughter requested one for her wedding quilt, so I'll be starting another before too long. Yippee!

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 5:45 PM

Judy I have all the colours picked out for mine. Retirement planning... I love yours. I think with more blocks you would have seen the movement and maybe liked it better. Anyway, I would take yours home anytime.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215

Thanks Angele, but not sure this will ever see the final light of day. It  may become a charity quilt as the hard part is done. I found I wasn't crazy about the warm colors in one ring and the cool in the other. I wish I'd done all arcs in a rainbow configuration..

Page 4 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use