rated by 0 users
This post has 62 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Sun, Aug 4 2013 9:41 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
So, I cut DWR pieces off and on all day. Drove George nuts. "You're SICK, you idiot. Lay down".

First of all, I can't believe George said that to you.  LOL  But do take care of yourself.  

Thanks for the pic, your DWR is going to be gorgeous!!!!  I love your colors, reminds me of a creamsicle on a hot summers day.  Yummy!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,679
Points 120,550

Judy T-Bellingham:

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
DH has ordered an AccuQuilt for me and I was looking at those dies

Carolyn, I'm not that familiar with the AccuqQuilt. Does it actually have a die for a DWR arc piece?  My arcs have 6 pieces each.

I just answered my own question. I looked up the AccuQuilt and it has dies for the DWR. How amazing. I'll be interested in seeing how you like it Caroline.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Judy T-Bellingham:

So, I cut DWR pieces off and on all day. Drove George nuts. "You're SICK, you idiot. Lay down". 

Marie, here's a photo but it really doesn't show much. One little basket has 117 stacks, 4 arc pieces each stack, of the cool colors. (you just see the wrong side of the fabrics as they are stacked right sides together, 4 up). Now I'm starting on the warm color arcs. Then I'll cut the end pieces for each arc (they are a different template).  I realized, now that I've starting cutting, I have to get at least all the arcs cut as my cutting table is unusable for anything else. You can see the few completed arcs I made while practicing whether I was going to do paper piecing or piecing. I settled on piecing.

Love the colors. So pretty. I hope you'll continue to post pics as you go along. Sorry to hear about the sinus infection. Hopefully it's nothing more than that. 

Raleigh, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Sun, Aug 4 2013 10:43 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Been feeling increasingly puny the last few weeks. Finally weak feeling and sharp pains in side of temple sent me to the doctor yesterday morning. Have a sinus infection and he sent me for a blood test to rule out something, can't remember what. So, couldn't do anything else, hate laying down for long, didn't feel up to free motion quilting.

Isn't that about the time you decided to do a DWR?  Maybe you have DWR..itis. Hope you get well quick!

I can't believe how many pieces you have already cut. You must have worked on this all day yesterday.  

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,679
Points 120,550

Bev :
Isn't that about the time you decided to do a DWR?  Maybe you have DWR..itis. Hope you get well quick!

That's good Bev, DWR..itis! :-)  Who woulda-thunk.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,679
Points 120,550

Carolyn. The AccuQuilt DWR dies got rave reviews on Amazon. Wish I could afford one but the DWR dies by themselves cost over $60. If I weren't going to a retreat this fall..... if George & I didn't want to upgrade to new Kindles...... if we weren't getting another dog, if if if....

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 4 2013 8:43 PM

I know what you mean about the price of the AccuQuilt system.  I've been wanting to start on a large hexagon quilt.  I could fairly quickly cut lots of strips and then squares and wrap them around the paper pieces, but a friend in the guild says I'll be happier if I actually cut out all the sides of the hexagon pieces.  At that point, die-cutting sounds very appealing.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,212
Points 24,505

MNnancy:

I know what you mean about the price of the AccuQuilt system.  I've been wanting to start on a large hexagon quilt.  I could fairly quickly cut lots of strips and then squares and wrap them around the paper pieces, but a friend in the guild says I'll be happier if I actually cut out all the sides of the hexagon pieces.  At that point, die-cutting sounds very appealing.

look into the Sissix Big Shot!  I bought it and love it.  Much cheaper than the accuquilt and more sturdy.  They do not have as many dies, but the ones they do have are cheaper than accuquilt dies and many of the accuquilt dies fit it.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 32,010
Roxana replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 4:00 AM

Elizabeth:

MNnancy:

look into the Sissix Big Shot!  I bought it and love it.  Much cheaper than the accuquilt and more sturdy.  They do not have as many dies, but the ones they do have are cheaper than accuquilt dies and many of the accuquilt dies fit it.

Here's a blog you might find interesting about the Sissix ....
http://sizzixukblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Katy%20Jones

Hope it helps! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Judy T-Bellingham:

Carolyn. The AccuQuilt DWR dies got rave reviews on Amazon. Wish I could afford one but the DWR dies by themselves cost over $60. If I weren't going to a retreat this fall..... if George & I didn't want to upgrade to new Kindles...... if we weren't getting another dog, if if if....

I know, I know.  I have been saying all the same things for quite some time now.  I actually read an entire book on die cutters to try and be sure this was really something I wanted to spend that much money on and to be sure that the accu quilt was the right one for me.  AND  I didn't buy it for myself.  Don't even have it yet.  But DH told me on Friday that he had ordered it on Amazon for me.  So I've been browsing through all the dies.  I think I want to start by cutting scraps and making some sort of rainbow quilt.  But a (king sized) DWR is definitely on my list as a "someday".  

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Roxana:

I looked into the sissix big shot pro - you can actually use the accuquilt dies with an adapter.  It looked like a really excellent system, but at least the pro version was more expensive than the accuquilt go since you can usually get a big discount on the accu quilts and I couldn't find any significant discounts on the sissix sytem.  It honestly would have been my first choice if not for the higher price (at least for the Pro version).  

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,390
Jacy replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:10 AM

I have the accuquilt and I really like it. I have found that my most used dies are the basic shapes, mostly triangles, also squares and rectangles. I use them for my scraps, and keep shoeboxes of shapes ready for scrap quilts. The dies vary in price, sometimes accuquilt website has good sales, also Nancy's notions, amazon and other places (can't think of them right now, use google for the specific die you are looking for) have good prices on dies. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

Is this something that JoAnn's carries and could you use coupons?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,390
Jacy replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 12:09 PM

Joann's carries it, but it is excluded on their coupons. They do sometimes have them on sale for 30-40% off, my store has a limited selection but there is more available on Joann.com

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,679
Points 120,550

I've made progress on the DWR quilt. I have everything cut out, the arcs constructed and most of the melons put together. 

I put some of the melons up on my design wall along with the centers.Nothing is sewn to the centers yet. I think I'll be doing that at the Oregon retreat. I decided to do the 53x77 size which is 4 blocks across x 6 down. I have enough cut out for the queen size but lost my momentum and decided on the smaller size. Also, I think I'm not over the moon thrilled with the colors so didn't want to put that much time in. In the picture the yellows don't really show up well.

I'm still playing with the layout. Having complete blue/green rings and complete yellow/gold rings didn't look quite right so I'm trying this configuration. Will stare at it for the next 6 weeks and decide in Oregon how I will lay it out.

Page 3 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use