Page 2 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 62 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,339
gini replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 1:53 AM

just for fun, judy.  try them with lighter to darker on one side and darker to lighter on the other side.

then try making them color-wheelish

i love the fabrics you've chosen, you do a great job picking them on all your quilts.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

gini:

just for fun, judy.  try them with lighter to darker on one side and darker to lighter on the other side.then try making them color-wheelish

Thanks Gini. Good suggestions, I'll play with it. There are lots of ways to do this thing. I saw a photo of one DWR that had the same fabric on both ends of the arcs which gave a really interesting look to the quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

I've started cutting out sets for the arcs. I was going to paper piece as I couldn't get the piecing to come out right. But figured that out so I'm back to piecing the arcs.  I decided to count how many actual pieces I'll need to cut out, including the melons, centers and corner blocks. Gasp! 1956 precise little pieces. I layer cut 4 pieces at a time but still........

I'm hyperventilating. No, not really,  Whenever I walk by my cutting table, I take a swipe and cut a few more. 44 down only 1,912 to go. In the meantime, I'm starting to quilt a mystery quilt from a couple years ago.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Aug 3 2013 11:30 AM

that does it.  My decision is made my FIL and his bride will not get a double wedding ring quilt.  Actually, the number of pieces is a lot, but I did make the decision based on my last pay check.  Going with the fabric I already have and the much adapted lone star pattern.  Well, I did buy a couple additional fabrics to brighten it up and make it more "modern."

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

Patti:
that does it.  My decision is made my FIL and his bride will not get a double wedding ring quilt.

Who knows when this thing will ever get done. But I'm determined to cut everything out. That's the first hurdle. I don't even want to THINK about sewing 1,956 pieces together, although most of it is chain stitched. Guess that might help.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Sat, Aug 3 2013 11:52 AM

Hey Judy, if you only have 1912 more pieces to cut out and only did 44 a day you would have it all cut out in 43 days which would be around Sept 15.  Doesn't that make it sound/seem less stressful and for sure less strain on the back. 

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

Bev :

Hey Judy, if you only have 1912 more pieces to cut out and only did 44 a day you would have it all cut out in 43 days which would be around Sept 15.  Doesn't that make it sound/seem less stressful and for sure less strain on the back.

I love it Bev. Thanks. That does seem more manageable. 

What a wonderful cheering section this group is.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Sat, Aug 3 2013 12:36 PM

Oh, I also want to say again that you should keep this quilt for yourself and call it your Wedding Anniversary quilt because of all the work and time you will have put into cutting it out and piecing it together.    Go Judy !

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

Bev :

Oh, I also want to say again that you should keep this quilt for yourself and call it your Wedding Anniversary quilt because of all the work and time you will have put into cutting it out and piecing it together.    Go Judy !

I may give this to my granddaughter when/if she gets married. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,547
Points 47,735

Patti, I almost hate to make a quilt for someone else anymore. It seems like there is so much stress over whether they will like it or not. LOL, I have to give some away or there won't be room for me to live here. I got an email from Craftsy today and went to the site to look. They have a free pattern called Delightful Dresden or something like that. Anyway it is a free patttern, looks like maybe a table topper. The background is white and the plates are bright modern fabrics. The quilting is done in an echo pattern around the plates. I immediately thought of some of the comments on your DWR. This was a very modern looking piece in spite of the fact that the Dresden Plate has been around forever. I don"t blame you for going with your stash but something to keep in mind for the future.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,602
Points 178,383
Marie replied on Sun, Aug 4 2013 8:27 AM

Judy, you have my admiration, you go girl!  Let us see those pieces once in awhile as you cut them.  

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,377
Points 20,680

Judy, you are inspiring me!! I love DWRs. Has anyone used the accuquilt DWR dies?  DH has ordered an AccuQuilt for me and I was looking at those dies, but it looks like the arcs are just one solid piece. I prefer the ones with lots of tiny pieces- like what Judy is doing. Can't tell whether that is possible using the AQ dies or not. 

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,377
Points 20,680

Never mind. I found one someone had posted with a tutorial. Looks like there are just multiple options. I may have to give it a shot. That would me a great quilt for all these scraps I've been saving!

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

Marie:

Judy, you have my admiration, you go girl!  Let us see those pieces once in awhile as you cut them.  

Been feeling increasingly puny the last few weeks. Finally weak feeling and sharp pains in side of temple sent me to the doctor yesterday morning. Have a sinus infection and he sent me for a blood test to rule out something, can't remember what. So, couldn't do anything else, hate laying down for long, didn't feel up to free motion quilting.

So, I cut DWR pieces off and on all day. Drove George nuts. "You're SICK, you idiot. Lay down". 

Marie, here's a photo but it really doesn't show much. One little basket has 117 stacks, 4 arc pieces each stack, of the cool colors. (you just see the wrong side of the fabrics as they are stacked right sides together, 4 up). Now I'm starting on the warm color arcs. Then I'll cut the end pieces for each arc (they are a different template).  I realized, now that I've starting cutting, I have to get at least all the arcs cut as my cutting table is unusable for anything else. You can see the few completed arcs I made while practicing whether I was going to do paper piecing or piecing. I settled on piecing.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
DH has ordered an AccuQuilt for me and I was looking at those dies

Carolyn, I'm not that familiar with the AccuqQuilt. Does it actually have a die for a DWR arc piece?  My arcs have 6 pieces each.

Page 2 of 5 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use