Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 62 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,395
Points 115,515
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Tue, Jul 30 2013 2:26 PM

I received my Marti Mitchell templates for the DWR. Spent yesterday evening reading the instructions over and over as it wasn't sinking in. I finally just concentrated on the small melon arcs and George suggested I make a sample to be sure it's something I want to do.

So I did. It's just one small melon piece, I didn't make enough to construct the whole block. It's not perfect and I have to be more careful in cutting out the pieces. I tend to slant the rotary cutter and have to pay more attention to keeping it upright. But I'm happy and decided that yes, I do want to make this. Before the Oregon Retreat I will cut out everything to work on there.

Since this is just a practice piece, any suggestions on placement of the fabrics?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,705
Points 436,480
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 2:38 PM

Judy

This is looking nice.  My only thought would be to separate the 2 center pieces in the orange.  They kind of run together since they are the same design.   Going to be really pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,395
Points 115,515

Thanks, Nana. I agree.  Also, the gold corner is going to have to change as I realize I don't have enough fabric.  So, back to digging through fabric for the corner fabrics.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 4:39 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Thanks, Nana. I agree.  Also, the gold corner is going to have to change as I realize I don't have enough fabric.  So, back to digging through fabric for the corner fabrics.

Judy, I think it is great, but I agree with Nana. Other then that I think it is right on the money. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,404
Points 361,172
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:18 PM

Judy,

your practice piece is really pretty. WTG on getting started.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Gorgeous!  Sorry, no advice here.  I've been thinking about doing one of these... .Someday.   :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:22 AM

Judy, I love the colors and the way you have put warm on opposite side of cool. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,420
Bev replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:54 AM

Ditto on Patti's post and I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of you and others working on your DWR in Oregon. You Guys will have so much fun doing these together. You even have me wanting to make one, if only I didn't already have a mountain of quilts that I have already bought fabric for. That hasn't stopped me yet so maybe....

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 10:44 AM

This looks like an ambitious project.  Your colors are wonderful.  Will these arcs be appliqued to the background or pieced like a drunkard's path?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,395
Points 115,515

MNnancy:

This looks like an ambitious project.  Your colors are wonderful.  Will these arcs be appliqued to the background or pieced like a drunkard's path?

Pieced Nancy.  Eleanor Burns book has them appliqued. I did try one that way but I didn't care for it. Also instructions were incomplete as another book is required (which is out of print).

Marti Mitchells instructions and templates work well if I can just be more careful with the cutting. I wish these rotary cutters came with a level bubble on them so I know that I'm holding it perfectly upright.

This pattern is such a stickler for perfection. Which is definitely NOT my middle name. But I will make it. George suggested I make a simple flower or bird applique in the center of a few of the blocks to add variety and interest.

I tried to join the DWR group but haven't been accepted yet.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,472
Points 46,470

The DWR group is led by Thea who gives instructions using the Flynn method. Some of the techniques might transfer, but some will not. He has you make a regular strip set then resew all the seams to make the arc. I have my strip sets made but haven't gotten to the re-sewing yet. It's only been about 2 years since I started so what's the rush? LOL  I am trying to get going again, but decided to put new flooring in my sewing room so . . . . another delay. I am sure you will do great on yours. I think is sounds like fun to have several of you at the retreat working on a DWR. Looking forward to the reports.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,595
Jacy replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:16 PM

Looking good Judy! I agree with Nana about separating the 2 same print yellows. And your corner yellow looked a little dull compared to the other colors, but it sounds like you're going to change it. It's going to be really pretty.

I don't know how you will wait until October to sew it though, aren't you just itching to get going on it?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,395
Points 115,515

Jacy:
I don't know how you will wait until October to sew it though, aren't you just itching to get going on it?

Oh yes I am itching. But I have other things that take priority for a bit. I'm pinning a Bonnie Hunter MQ, Orca Bay, so I can quilt it. 

I didn't like the corner yellow either . I cannot understand why the dullness didn't show up until I sewn it together and took a photo. I've changed the center yellows around. Guess this is a really good lesson for me to always make a sample for something this involved.  I'm having issues with the corner blocks. Two colors that join into a modified 4 patch. I have a green/red print and a tone on tone red melon fabric that go together. But not sure I want to use a print in the corner joints.  I may have to take it to the quilt shop and look for something.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,395
Points 115,515

Patti, you mentioned making a paper piecing pattern if you were going to make the DWR. I've been struggling with piecing the arcs consistently. I finally threw up my hands and uttered a few "thoughts". The first two arcs came out perfect but the other two were awful.

I'm going to paper piece the arcs. It will mean lots of printed patterns. I used the arc template and divided that into sections and traced it onto paper. Paper pieced an arc and it comes out great (after a few more uttered "thoughts" in getting them lined up right).

So, thanks Patti for mentioning paper piecing. I wouldn't have thought of that as an option. I was close to tossing the project on a top shelf.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 10:02 PM

The last pattern I was looking at just had the paper piecing for the arcs, and then just marked the centers of the parts they would attach to. 

I am still undecided as to what to do for my FIL and his fiance.  She prefers modern, perhaps I could still incorporate the wedding ring into part of it.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use