Top 10 Posters

Newbie question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 260
MLB1128 posted on Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:08 PM

I am a fairly new quilter and I made a wall hanging to be part of a guild challenge.  I displayed my hanging in our guild show but felt saddened when one of the show's co-director's pulled me aside and told me that "hyper quilting" was "in" and that my quilt that had been only stitched in the ditch was not acceptable and I needed to add more quilting to it before the AQS show that is coming up next year.  This is one of my first projects that I designed and created without a pattern.  My question is, can I add more quilting without taking the binding off and taking it apart? Won't quilting it now just create havoc and puckers?  I really like it just how it is and would rather just withdraw it from going to the AQS show but because they need eight quilts to go, it would leave them one short.  Advice please...as a new quilter I feel discouraged.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,110

gini:

oh boy, it is hard to know which way to respond.  

you are happy with your quilt.  in the end, that is all that counts.  please don't be discouraged.   just, look at what you've done.

you designed and created, without a pattern, your  very own quilt.  this is no small thing.   i know lots and lots of quilters that have been quilting for years, who produce beautiful quilts,  but cannot work without buying a pattern.  i am very proud of what you've done, and you should be, too. 

i think i would tell them i am happy with the quilt the way it is and let them decide if they want to show it. 

to answer your question,  can you add more quilting?   i think it depends on how far apart the  ditch quilting is and how puffy the space is in between.  i would hate for you to end up with a puckery quilt that you aren't happy with.  you most likely would need to take the binding off, maybe not.   some quilters stitch in the ditch to stablize their quilts and go back and do heavier quilting on them.  

then again, you are happy with the quilt the way it is, so i would let them decide. tell them you're a new quilter and not comfortable or experienced enough to add more quilting. 

one thing i absolutely detest are quilt police.   if they had rules about the amount of quilting,  they should have made it clear to you as a new quilter, just what was expected.   for them to tell you to go back and redo your quilt is just wrong, on so many fronts. 

I could not agree more

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 260

Here is the picture of my wall hanging quilt.  The rules of the challenge were that it had to be 36x36, it had to have a basket on it and there had to be something in the basket.  I put a black and white cat in the basket because my cat Tux loves baskets.  Even though a basket has something in it already, he doesn't mind...he will just lay on top of it.  After all...it makes the bed a little softer.  That what I wanted to portray in the quilt. :) I found the cat on a panel titled "A Cat for All Seasons" by Cheryl Haynes for Benartex.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:00 AM

I love this!!!! This is so cute!! I'm impressed by the appliqué. I just can't figure that out!

Not sure why anyone complained. It's adorable! Awesome!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
629 Posts
Points 9,365

I love this too.  Great job.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 285
DW70SH replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 10:50 AM

Love the quilt.  We have 2 daughters who have bought a house together and one has 3 cats and the other has a dog.  Then there is a chiwawa (spelling incorrect I know) that is both of theirs.  I have been meaning a cat wall hanging for the one and something with dogs for the other.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 11:30 AM

MLB1128:

Here is the picture of my wall hanging quilt.  The rules of the challenge were that it had to be 36x36, it had to have a basket on it and there had to be something in the basket.  I put a black and white cat in the basket because my cat Tux loves baskets.  Even though a basket has something in it already, he doesn't mind...he will just lay on top of it.  After all...it makes the bed a little softer.  That what I wanted to portray in the quilt. :) I found the cat on a panel titled "A Cat for All Seasons" by Cheryl Haynes for Benartex.

This is far too cute to change.  The person who asked you to do so was wrong in my opinion.

My cat is also called Tux, short for Tuxedo naturally!  He too loves baskets, and my lap, and chairs, and stools and beds and on and on and on. 

I love how you adorably show this!  Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged by that one person's comments.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,679 Posts
Points 120,550

MLB1128, what a wonderful wall hanging quilt. Great fabrics and love the layout.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,418 Posts
Points 415,829
gini replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 12:45 PM

Cute quilt.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

MLB1128, what an adorable quilt. I agree with everyone that responded to you. Any more quilting, I would think, would detract from your beautiful applique and the picture it portrays. That is exactly why I haven't joined a guild. I am relatively new to quilting also. Any art form is a very personal thing to me and I would be very unhappy if someone was that critical of anything I made. Too much stress to make it fun to quilt. The whole point of any art is to enjoy so keep doing what you are doing. It's adorable and perfect the way it is. 

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 2:42 PM

Your wallhanging is very pretty.  You did a fantastic job on your appliques and your fabric selections.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,334 Posts
Points 20,045

Ohmigosh - I LOVE this!!!  When I read the rules, I was picturing the quilt that it would produce in my mind.  You have to just know that they are going to see tons and tons of the traditional baskets with handles and flowers in them.  Your flatter basket with a cat in it is so fun.  I agree that with all the applique, more quilting would probably detract more than it would add.  I think it's really great.  You should be proud.  I'm sorry your guild didn't feel the same way. 

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 4:49 PM

MLB

Just to play devil's advocate a little bit....  I can see how more quilting would have worked.   Echo quilting around the appliques will make them pop off the quilt more.  Some close stippling in the center around the applique would also bring the cat and basket forward.  Does this mean it has to be done that way.... absolutely not.   Those are just options to consider when you make another.   Deciding on quilting patterns is one of the hardest parts to learn in my opinion.   There isn't a right or wrong way to do it.  You just pick what you like best.    The more you make quilts the easier the quilting will become.  Don't ever let someone tell you that the quilting has to be done a certain way.   Just do what you like.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
1,509 Posts
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:35 PM

I love your quilt.  I agree with everyone on your quilting.  I had a similar problem a number of years ago.  I was only tying my quilts.  I asked what category it would go in.  I was rudely informed that if it wasn't hand or machine quilted, I'd never win any award.  Guess they didn't want me or my quilts and I haven't been back to the guild. 

Diana in East TN

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:40 PM

Nana:

Deciding on quilting patterns is one of the hardest parts to learn in my opinion.   There isn't a right or wrong way to do it.  You just pick what you like best.    The more you make quilts the easier the quilting will become.  Don't ever let someone tell you that the quilting has to be done a certain way.   Just do what you like.

Amen to that!!   I love the quilt.  My cat, a tortoise shell, never lets the fact that something is already in a basket stand in her way either.  Your quilt does an outstanding job of depicting cat happiness.  Congratulations on a job well done.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,209 Posts
Points 16,230

Nana:
  The more you make quilts the easier the quilting will become.  Don't ever let someone tell you that the quilting has to be done a certain way.   Just do what you like.
                                   MLB, I, also agree with everyone, especially Nana.  Did they know you were a beginner? Did she say anything positive? Because, that is the most adorable quilt and the applique is awesome. You should be real proud !  If you were selling them I would buy one...   Let us see more of your work in the future.                   Susan

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use