Top 10 Posters

Newbie question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 260
MLB1128 posted on Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:08 PM

I am a fairly new quilter and I made a wall hanging to be part of a guild challenge.  I displayed my hanging in our guild show but felt saddened when one of the show's co-director's pulled me aside and told me that "hyper quilting" was "in" and that my quilt that had been only stitched in the ditch was not acceptable and I needed to add more quilting to it before the AQS show that is coming up next year.  This is one of my first projects that I designed and created without a pattern.  My question is, can I add more quilting without taking the binding off and taking it apart? Won't quilting it now just create havoc and puckers?  I really like it just how it is and would rather just withdraw it from going to the AQS show but because they need eight quilts to go, it would leave them one short.  Advice please...as a new quilter I feel discouraged.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
473 Posts
Points 7,510

MLB1128:

I am a fairly new quilter and I made a wall hanging to be part of a guild challenge.  I displayed my hanging in our guild show but felt saddened when one of the show's co-director's pulled me aside and told me that "hyper quilting" was "in" and that my quilt that had been only stitched in the ditch was not acceptable and I needed to add more quilting to it before the AQS show that is coming up next year.  This is one of my first projects that I designed and created without a pattern.  My question is, can I add more quilting without taking the binding off and taking it apart? Won't quilting it now just create havoc and puckers?  I really like it just how it is and would rather just withdraw it from going to the AQS show but because they need eight quilts to go, it would leave them one short.  Advice please...as a new quilter I feel discouraged.

First I have to ask, how long have you been quilting. Second, You have time to do another wall hanging  with your own pattern again before next year if you do still want to participate. I am not sure that ripping this one all apart and adding more to it is the way to go. Your choice however. Did this co-director bother to explain what hyper quilting was to you  so you know what you need to be doing? If you are new to this you will need to learn how to do basics before to work up to anything very fancy. That will take some practice.   Just food for thought.    With out more infomation it is hard to really help. Sorry. 

Julienne - Mid Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 7:55 PM

I am not a newbie but  I had to google Hyper Quilting. It is pretty neat from what I read.

I am saddened that any guild would not encourage a new quilter and allow them to participate in the challenge. Better still, they should have been more specific when you received the challenge rules. Have you approached the others in the guild? Do they have any suggestions?  

If you like it - let it stay the way it is. If you have some time to redo another piece - do that. You will not be happy if you rip out everything.

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 8:18 PM

The guild should have been much more specific when they issued the challenge.  Personally, I would leave it just as it is.  (1) Most importantly, you like it the way it is!!!!  (2) They did not tell you they expected you to quilt in that manner.  (3) you have a completed work of art that is ready to go.  (4) it doesn't really matter what is "in" at the moment.  Not everyone needs to follow the pied piper.

The way I see it, it is up to the guild.  They can accept what you are offering;  someone else can participate and take your place; or they can all just stay home.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
702 Posts
Points 13,315

I also think a guild that is asking for volunteers would have given more instructions. Maybe this was the first time the guild had participated? and didn't know the rules themselves? 

I would be very disappointed in a guild that asks someone to do something, then turns around and says we want it a different way.  Especially when making a quilt is so individual  in the process.  Maybe "points that don't match" can be "policed", but I don't think the creativity of the quilting process should be.  What a disappointment to not be encouraging to new quilters. I am hoping that older quilters don't start "eating their young".  This is what happens in professions, but shouldn't happen in quilting. 

I would definitely bring this back up to the members of the guild and let them explain themselves. Let us know what you decide. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 9:25 PM

You could add quilting, but it's best to do what you want with the quilt.  If they were this critical, what's to say how they might feel with additional quilting?  Go with what feels good to you.   If they don't accept it, there will always be another quilt show.  Meet your expectations, in your time.  Otherwise quilting can become a chore rather than a joyful process.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 10:26 PM

MLB

I think it was just wrong of the person to tell you to change your quilting.  If you are happy with your wallhanging and like the quilting that is all that is important.  I would leave it the way it is and if the guild doesn't want to display it in the show that is their loss not yours.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 10:44 PM

I've been reading the replies to the post & I have to say that I'm a newbie too, belong to a guild of very experienced, long-time quilters, & I feel very intimated by the other members. So when I read what you said, I was thinking, "How dare anyone criticize what you did!"  It took a lot of guts as a new quilter to even participate! Some quilts look much better stitched in the ditch than quilted all over. Quilts are a piece of art. Every piece is different & reflects the person who made it. I'm impressed that you're willing to put something in a show being so new!  

In my little guild (13 women), a lot of them have "show & tells" every month. I hardly ever do! I get very blocked when I know I'll be seeing something they'll see. Yes, they've all been doing it for decades. I started maybe 2years ago. There's no way I compare to them! I also don't have the time they do (most of them are retired or the kids are out of the house).  I have a 13 year old son & it's hard to find time to really enjoy it. I also have health issues that restrict me. So when I bring in something, I worry about what they're going to say/think about it. I've even considered not renewing in Sept. 

My point is is that I'm sure your piece is perfect for you. If they can't remember back to when they started & what they made, then that's too bad. Do what YOU are comfortable with & you'll feel good about it. Please let us know what you decide!

Good luck!!! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 11:06 PM

oh boy, it is hard to know which way to respond.  

you are happy with your quilt.  in the end, that is all that counts.  please don't be discouraged.   just, look at what you've done.

you designed and created, without a pattern, your  very own quilt.  this is no small thing.   i know lots and lots of quilters that have been quilting for years, who produce beautiful quilts,  but cannot work without buying a pattern.  i am very proud of what you've done, and you should be, too. 

i think i would tell them i am happy with the quilt the way it is and let them decide if they want to show it. 

to answer your question,  can you add more quilting?   i think it depends on how far apart the  ditch quilting is and how puffy the space is in between.  i would hate for you to end up with a puckery quilt that you aren't happy with.  you most likely would need to take the binding off, maybe not.   some quilters stitch in the ditch to stablize their quilts and go back and do heavier quilting on them.  

then again, you are happy with the quilt the way it is, so i would let them decide. tell them you're a new quilter and not comfortable or experienced enough to add more quilting. 

one thing i absolutely detest are quilt police.   if they had rules about the amount of quilting,  they should have made it clear to you as a new quilter, just what was expected.   for them to tell you to go back and redo your quilt is just wrong, on so many fronts. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 11:08 PM

and then depending on my mood and how rude they were about telling me to redo my quilt,  i might tell them to go stuff it.  no pun intended. 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 11:33 PM

Like what I see of your reply, but is part of it missing? ;)

wish more experienced quilters had your outlook on this type of thing. Making a quilt is a lot of work & it's very personal. If the rules didn't specify their "quilting style", then they have no reason to exclude it. 

Hang in there!!!!

Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 260
MLB1128 replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 10:16 AM

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, everyone.  I have decided to leave my wall hanging as is and withdraw it from the AQS 2014 Show.  You have all been very kind and I feel encouraged to continue quilting for my own enjoyment!  Thank you all!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,908 Posts
Points 124,805

MLB1128:
Thank you so much for your encouraging words, everyone.  I have decided to leave my wall hanging as is and withdraw it from the AQS 2014 Show

Good for you! I hope you treasure your wall hanging quilt for many years.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
641 Posts
Points 9,660

I'd like to see your project.  Also, it doesn't sound to me like hyper stitching is necessary for the challenge.  I would leave it the way you like it and leave it in the show.  You put a lot of work into the project and yours may stand out more if it's not overdone.  Sometimes, too much stitching takes away from the quilt design.  Not everyone is great at FMQ and would want to compete on that level.

I say, if you love it, leave it in the show the way it is.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,402 Posts
Points 21,060

Ok, now that you've officially decided to withdraw from the AQS show, can you share a photo with us?  (Reply and then click the button that looks like a filmstrip to insert pictures into a post)...  No one here is going to tell you to go back and change it.  

Raleigh, NC

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use