Top 10 Posters

paint

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 930
slbayles posted on Fri, Jul 26 2013 6:36 PM

what is the best paint to use on quilt fabric...that will last and last and last?

thanks

sherry

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
426 Posts
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 6:52 PM

There are a variety of paint techniques to use on fabric, so I guess it depends on what you intend to do. Are you making an art quilt or something you plan to actually use on a bed? 

Quilting Arts TV demonstrates a lot of surface design techniques, including painting on fabric. You can check out fabric painting from their site here: http://www.quiltingdaily.com/blogs/quilting-daily/archive/2013/03/13/warm-up-to-fabric-painting-techniques.aspx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,934 Posts
Points 125,250

Sherry

I used to do decorative painting (also called Tole painting) and sold my items online and at craft fairs for years. I painted on wood, metal, cement, walls, fabric, milk cans, you name it. Indoors and outdoors. I made a quilted tree skirt for my daughter way back about 1992 and painted designs in the center blocks.Her tree skirt has been washed several times since then and the painted designs haven't faded at all.

I simply used regular acrylic craft paint, such as DecoArt  that you can find at Michaels, Joannes or most any store that sells arts and crafts supplies. I added a fabric medium to make it soak into the fabric better and make it easier to paint.

Way back then I also painted the back of a denim shirt. The painted design lasted longer than the shirt did!

Here's a photo of a painting I did on a white canvas floor mat. That's our cat Max. He died years ago. We walked on that floor mat for years before it was spilled on so often I finally got rid of it.

Go ahead and paint on fabric but test on a piece first. And, be sure of what you're doing. Once you touch that paint to fabric it's forever.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

Judy this is amazing. the cat look so real. You are very talented.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,934 Posts
Points 125,250

Thanks Sukochi.  I guess I just like keeping my hands busy. I do like quilting much better than the decorative painting, which I've given up entirely. Sold all my paints and supplies.

Top 50 Contributor
2,919 Posts
Points 41,040
ls2116 replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 9:43 PM

Wow Judy!  I didn't know it was painted looks great!

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 11:38 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I knew from your EQ quilt designs and your terrific sense of color that you had an artistic flair, but this painted rug takes the cake!  I'm in awe!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
911 Posts
Points 17,230

Fabulous, Judy!  The texture in the stones, three-dimension of the little bugs, and the way you blended the colors of the cats hair..... Beautiful!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:27 AM

this is so amazing Judy.  You are so talented, and your husband as well.  So how do the two of you meet?  At an art show?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,934 Posts
Points 125,250

Patti:

this is so amazing Judy.  You are so talented, and your husband as well.  So how do the two of you meet?  At an art show?

Nope, met 24 years ago outside the men's room at a public event.  I saw him go in, thought he was someone I'd like to meet and waited for him to come out. Stood in front of him and said "Hi". We got to talking and at one point I said, "You sound just like my favorite columnist, Mike Royko". He told me later that he was astounded that I knew who the Chicago columnist was and figured he'd better not let me get away. "Wow, an opinionated woman! My kind of girl".  Years later we went to Chicago and tried to meet Mr Royko but he was out of the office and shortly after that he died.

You asked, Patti. Never ask me a question unless you're prepared for a long answer! (LOL) But George was already an artist and I enjoyed crafting so it just went from there.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:29 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Nope, met 24 years ago outside the men's room at a public event.

Outside and outhouse.   Not the usual meeting place!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:43 AM

I can beat that. DH proposed to me while we were sitting on a toilet. We were at a party, in a hotel room, with a bunch of friends so, he pulled in into the bathroom!! Original....but very weird!

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

Wow Judy, that is so impressive. It is just beautiful. You are a true artist.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,934 Posts
Points 125,250

Melissa Halpain:
Wow Judy, that is so impressive. It is just beautiful. You are a true artist.

Melissa, thank you. But I took a class from a top Decorative Artist/Teacher, who led me through the process step by step. Could never have done it otherwise.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Judy I too am impressed with your talent.  I have to laugh at how closely our creative lives have mirrored one another.  I also did tole painting for a number of years, but never got to the point of selling anything...just loaded the family and friends with lots of painted decorations - whether the wanted them or not!  I still have some painted cabinet doors - one with a hen sitting on a basket of decorated Easter eggs and another with a old-style bathtub, bubbles and a sign offering baths for 5 cents each (I think).  I still use these in my spare bathrooms for decoration.

I also painted denim shirts!  Hmmm, I wonder where those all went too?  My father was a fireman, and I did one for him with a fire hydrant and his name across the back.  He was the envy of everyone in his department!  But seriously, that cloth mat with your kitty is a work of art. Very impressive!!! 

I bet you also did ceramics for awhile too!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use