Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb Posted: Fri, Jul 26 2013 3:29 PM

Finally decided on a machine!  I followed the advice of a good many of you that said check out your dealer nearby so instead of ordering the Brother SE400 online I got and new Elna Lotus!.  My girls got a Janome 7730 and 2030DC.  I have not done any real sewing on the Elna yet but so far getting it threaded and practice on some scraps has been fun!  I have not touched a sewing machine in over 30 years and it's a little scary at first!  Quilt classes will be sometime in August but I thought I would try my hand at some quilted potholders before then to get the feel of my new baby!  I got a free motion foot and have not figured out how to even put it on yet!

Anyone else here have an Elna Lotus?  It's a very basic machine I think. I didn't want to be overwhelmed with lots of stitches!  If we get hooked on quilting I will later buy a "real" quilting machine and an embroidery machine.  

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 5:03 PM

congratulations Debbie.  Even the "simple" machines do so much more than they used to.  You will have lots of fun.  I plan on doing some pot holders today as a thank you gift for a couple that hosted me and my husband last week.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 517
Points 10,530

Congratulations, Debbie!  How about a picture of your new machine?  And, you know, she needs a name! Good luck with her and have lots of fun!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 5:09 PM

Debbie, Yee Haw! Listen at you. Already talking quilt machines and embroidery machines! You GO, girl.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765
Julienne replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 5:17 PM

Congrat Debbie. You will have so much fun. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 8:25 AM

congratulations Debbie on your new machine , May she bring you many years of joy.  We want pictures when you get a chance ...LOL 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:07 AM

Congratulations Debbie on the new machine.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

I am impressed.  Just found a video about it -- really neat looking machine with enough bells and whistles to keep you happy for a long time.  I really like the fact it has one push button sewing if you don't want to use the pedal along with an automatic thread cutter.  The latter is the one feature I would really like on an all-purpose machine.  My Brother 1500s has it and it is addictive.   The only disadvantage I can see for quilting is the needle is in the middle of the machine leaving less room to the right for FMQ.  But everything else about her cries "elegance". 

Enjoy your new baby.  What have you named her? 

Brigit-Carol

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 1:17 PM

Thanks Carol!  I have not named her but I am thinking of Bessie!  I don't know why I could not see this post and the responses this morning...computer glitch I guess!  I will post a photo sometime this week....Went to Walmart and bought some elastic and some quilting batting to try my hand a potholders  and bag holders but I can't get started until Monday...too much going on in my house here at the beach on the weekends....grandkids etc!  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 1:20 PM

Yep, I can talk a good game Sukochi!  LOL  My husband has even suggested we go to the Branson Quilt Retreat...we have never venture out that way and would love to see it.  I don't know about Feb being a good month to go in the cold!! 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765
Julienne replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 1:47 PM

Debbie:

Yep, I can talk a good game Sukochi!  LOL  My husband has even suggested we go to the Branson Quilt Retreat...we have never venture out that way and would love to see it.  I don't know about Feb being a good month to go in the cold!! 

Debbie, Branson is normally in the high 40's and 50's in the month of Feb. There has only been one cold winter and that was 2010. I have a "summer house" there that is more just a vacation house that is used all year long and it is fantastic to get away and go to. Branson itself it about 20 miles away from AR. So it stays warm.  Eureka Springs is in AR and that is one hour from Branson. That is a Big site seeing place, It has 7 Antique Shops and 3 Sewing shops.  And several spa shops. But I ams ure everyone will be busy SEWING!!!!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835
Bama Deb replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:00 PM

Thanks for the info Julienne!  I hope to know more about if we can go in another month or so. I was quite suprised my husband said we should go....  we would take some extra time to go to AR.  Didn't realize Branson was that close!  I just have to have someone watch my dogs and parrots while we are gone!  Makes it a bit hard for us to leave to go anywhere except our lake house where we haul them all with us  and have cages and stuff already there for them....they travel well but don't think I would try to take them anywhere else!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765
Julienne replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 10:17 AM

Debbie:

Thanks for the info Julienne!  I hope to know more about if we can go in another month or so. I was quite suprised my husband said we should go....  we would take some extra time to go to AR.  Didn't realize Branson was that close!  I just have to have someone watch my dogs and parrots while we are gone!  Makes it a bit hard for us to leave to go anywhere except our lake house where we haul them all with us  and have cages and stuff already there for them....they travel well but don't think I would try to take them anywhere else!

Anytime Debbie, For some reason I tend to be a walking map lol. I guess it is because I have family all over many different states.   I know about traveling with animals. I have 2 dogs myself. They are smal and travel well. You just don't know where they are always welcome. But there are alot of hotels now that are pet friendly. You sould look for those. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use