Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 199 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 197 198 199 200 201 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 9:23 AM | Locked

Best wishes Bonita, it's always good when family gets together. 

I was in the city yesterday for an appointment and while I was there, shopped for thread for a client who has chosen a specific color for her quilting. Not only could I not find the color, the King Tut thread I was looking at on line for 14.99 a cone is 21.99 here. I still couldn't find the color I wanted so I came home and ordered it online. The shipping comes to a lot less than the extra cost at the store here. Unless the exchange comes and smacks me in the head. And that's why quilting is so expensive. Even the pantos I was looking were 5 and 6 dollars more. I can order that in Alberta for the same price as online!!  Buyer beware indeed 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 9:27 AM | Locked

Pat, what a nice surprise for your mom, getting a family all together is next to impossible, glad you were able to.  How old is mom?  Happy Birthday to her.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,841
Points 32,050
Roxana replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 9:40 AM | Locked

Well, we have freezing rain, sleet, and thunder here today. It may be mid-afternoon before it gets above freezing. What a weird winter Arkansas is having this year! I'm hoping to get some sewing done if I can keep electricity. Pray the power lines don't freeze over!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:24 AM | Locked

We're enjoying (?) a beautiful clear -25 morning here in the North. I'll be hugging the stove today!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:30 AM | Locked

chocake2:

We're enjoying (?) a beautiful clear -25 morning here in the North. I'll be hugging the stove today!

Come on down CC, heading for the pool.  Ouch, didn't have to throw that book at me, CC!  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:43 AM | Locked

Roxana:
I'm hoping to get some sewing done if I can keep electricity.

...and that's why God created treadle sewing machines!  Don't you wish you had one?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,841
Points 32,050
Roxana replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 11:57 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

Roxana:
I'm hoping to get some sewing done if I can keep electricity.

...and that's why God created treadle sewing machines!  Don't you wish you had one?

Nancy, do you have one? Where do you find them? I know the women in Africa sew with them from a mission work that my niece is working with in Kenya. They raise money to be able to provide the women with the treadle machines so that they can sew for a trade and make some money instead of just living off the street. The daughter of some good friends of ours designs and teaches them to sew.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.judithandjames.com/#!production-in-kenya/ce0f

http://www.katv.com/story/23939909/young-arkansan-brings-home-to-widows-in-africa

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 12:32 PM | Locked

Marie:

chocake2:

Come on down CC, heading for the pool.  Ouch, didn't have to throw that book at me, CC!  :  )

I'd Never throw things at you Marie. .....You're too far away and my aim ain't that good!

But...I will give you the raspberry for teasing us cold folks like that. *THPHBphtt* :-p

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 12:32 PM | Locked

Marie:

chocake2:

I'd Never throw things at you Marie. .....You're too far away and my aim ain't that good!

But...I will give you the raspberry for teasing us cold folks like that. *THPHBphtt* :-p

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 1:33 PM | Locked

Roxana:
Nancy, do you have one? Where do you find them?

I don't have one, Roxana.  If my sewing space was bigger, I'd love one.  When you meet Nana in Branson you can ask her all about acquiring one.  She's our vintage machine celebrity!  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,125
Pat A replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 3:38 PM | Locked

Marie, my Mom turns 100 on the 6th.  I can't even imagine being that old.  She is in good health and gets around fairly well.  Her only real problem is she has macular degeneration so she is practically blind.  But she still tries to paint.  Unfortunately, she can no longer quilt or do crafts and stuff she use to love doing.

Pat A. in KY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:33 PM | Locked

chocake2:

I deserved that CC, sorry for teasing.  : (

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 10:45 PM | Locked

Pat, God bless your mom!  Nice to have her around in spite of her problems.  Good she still tries to paint.  She must have some good memories to fall back on.  My DMIL used to say "make happy memories so you'll have something to re-live if your not able to do much in your later years".

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 8:59 AM | Locked

CC that is cold! We have been very lucky this year and so far had no snow and the temperatures around 46 degrees. However over the whole country there is so much rain. Where I live in the North ( Yorkshire) it is not as bad as the south. They have had floods and high winds and power cuts etc.I have at long last finished my rugby quilt I will attach a photo to show you I do actually quilt and not just think about it and read magazines! We were glad of it on Saturday when we went to a preseason game.

Just wanted to let you know DH had an interview Monday and started a 6 week contract on Tuesday. So my mini career break has officially begun! Lunch out yesterday! Today I popped to the supermarket and have spent the morning doing more tidying of my craft/sewing room. This afternoons task is to tackle the ironing whilst watching Disney's Hunchback. One of the songs in the next concert is a medley of the songs and about 3/4 of the choir have already sung it so my friend and I are playing catchup. We are also doing Lion King but we learnt that 18 months ago so the words are coming back! We have been given our itinerary for our New York choir trip and it will be amazing. We are singing in the Bandshell in Central Park, The Merkin Concert hall, The Statue of Liberty, Red steps in Time Square, Cathedral of St John the Divine and also Carnegie Hall. Not bad in 6 days is it? We are also going to see The Lion King on Broadway and all of us ~(200) are having lunch at The Hard Rock cafe on Times Square. We fly 23rd April. Can't wait.

However on that DH and I are also flying to Colorado for 2 weeks 19th March we are skiing at Winter Park I am training as hard as I can to make sure I am ski fit.Ha! Ha!

Hope you are all ok

xxxx

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 10:31 AM | Locked

Today is one of those horrible, no good, very bad days here in the Philly area.  This morning we had freezing rain hit hard.  There are trees down everywhere.  We lost an older white pine.  It is down on the ground.  Never heard it fall.  And there are lots of branches that have broken off others.  The roads are fine but there is no electricity for over 555,000 households.  They don't expect it all to be recovered until sometime over the weekend when another snow event is set to hit us.  Luckily DH bought us a house generator when Sandy (hurricane) came through.  But we are using a lot more fuel.  I know many will not be able to read this post but please keep the people on the east coast in your thoughts and prayers today.  Things are not well here.

Page 199 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 197 198 199 200 201 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use