Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 172 of 220 (3296 items) « First ... < Previous 170 171 172 173 174 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,295 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 783
Points 12,620
Quiltless replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 8:02 PM

MNnancy:

Kath, they make fun lacing cards for little hands.  Maybe that would be a "sewing" alternative the parents would approve of.

Good idea, Nancy.  Thank you.

I'll check it out.

[How did we ever survive our own childhoods?  ;  )  ]

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 9:46 PM

got back from hospital late and going again in the morning.  

Had a question though I recently bought a pattern for a quilt from annies sew... in this pattern that has many protections by government I'm wondering when I get it complete i its breaking some kind of law to post my pic of my quilt ?  Guess I'm gonna have to call manufacturer to be sure. Good night

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 11:51 PM

In my opinion, if you bought the pattern you can do anything you want with the quilt you make.  It is the pattern that is protected, so you cannot sell or photocopy the pattern.  Of course, this is just my opinion, but once you've paid for it, it's yours to use, so when you use it, the quilt you make is yours to do with what you wish,

I think that if you enter the quilt in a show or sell the quilt, you should probably give credit to the designer.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,750
Agnes replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 5:29 AM

I will offer my opinion as well. Irregardless of what some pattern sellers want to have you believe, it is the paper copy or directions of the pattern that is being protected from what I have been able to glean from copy right laws. Have you ever noticed that these very same companies have no problem using traditional patterns that belong to the public domain and then put a spin on the traditional way that they were originally pieced and then want to put the fear into you for breaking copyright? Obviously it is working but they are the ones who are strong arming us beyond the letter of the law. As Karla said it is the reproduction of the pattern that is protected. Of course, give credit where credit is due, including on your label. or when sharing the finished product via photo.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 438
Points 8,370
Jan replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 1:23 PM

A little late on the weigh in about the phones etc.  I do have a basic cell phone that I use a fair amount for texting DH to stop at the store on the way home.  I used to e-mail him before he had to have a cell for work and we bought me a cheap one. We have had a computer for years and I have to agree with CC. I wouldn't miss the computer as much as the friends I have made on it. We have way too many TV's, DH"s addiction. Many is the day I don't turn it and he asks why when he comes home.  The computer also plays my audio books, which I play a lot when I am sewing. And the kids laugh at the land line.  We even still have an answering machine.  Not too much that can't be left on a message that I can take care of when I get it.  As for microwave, I am just too lazy to dig out a pan and pop my nightly popcorn, although I could pretty easily be talked into an air popper rather than the microwave.

Jan in Roch NY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 783
Points 12,620
Quiltless replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:06 PM

I don't like air popped popcorn.  Microwave or pan popped has better flavor.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 438
Points 8,370
Jan replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 3:29 PM

I did quite a bit of research on Copywright laws with patterns back a few years when I was doing a lot of craft shows.  I think what you are saying is right on target. it is the paper copy they don't want reproduced. Or if you use the exact same fabrics as in the pattern shown.  As for pictures, if you snap a shot to show us before you give it to a friend, that would be fine.  You are absolutely right to put name of the pattern on a label if entering in a show.  Pattern "what ever my name is" sold by "Jackie's stand" would be more than enough.  They also want credit if you mass produce it.  If you make more than a couple for family or friends you should contact the pattern maker and see how they want to handle that.  This was a few years ago, but I haven't seen many changes with my friends still in the craft show realm.

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 8:06 PM

Thanks everyone for your input on all my questions.  They are really helpful and appreciated.

I'm plum tuckered out from today at hospital.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 12:54 PM

it has been an eventful two weeks.   for the first time ever, the family wasn't together for christmas.   my darling mother, remembered she had a backbone and refused to go to my aunt's house christmas eve.  this is a continuing saga from thanksgiving, my uncle finally come up to my folks house to apologize.  instead, he screamed at them for a good long bit, called them foul names, called my mother a f**** liar, dad asked him to leave, he continuerd screaming,  dad asked him to leave, he continued.   dad just had his colon removed and uses a cane, no way he could stand up and confront tom.   my mom said she has never been so scared in her life, she was shaking and didn't know if tom was going to hit her or dad first..   that night she called me at midnight, crying, not knowing what to do.   i asked what would she like to do and she said she didn't want to go to their house for christmas eve.  and i said great, we'll have christmas at your house, and we had a nice evening with my daughter and family and nephew.  my brother stooped by later.   tom was baffled?  he told everyone he had apologized and hadn't raised his voice.   from here on out he will be known as psycho unc.   he's pulled this on everyone but my parents, and he shouldn't have gone after the family matriarch.   sick as she is, he is no match for her.  i'm still of two minds if i should contact social services or let it die down.  kath and patti,  is this elder abuse?  seems like it to me.

so christmas was uneventful, the family that went to my aunt's house on christmas eve were at mom's for christmas day dinner,  minus psycho aunt and unc. and family. 

the day after christmas, i picked up the princess, and stopped at her cousins house to pick up jane at o dark thirty, dropped sam off at the airport and continued to the tri cities to visit our niece, and deliver presents to the grands.  these grandkids never, never go anywhere without their mom or dad.  the younger one matthew,  5,  has never slept without mom or dad next to him.  jokingly, the day we left, i  asked matthew if he would like to come up and visit aunty chris and auntie wendy.  he screwed up his little face thought for a good ten seconds and matter of factly said, "sure"   then got his coat and boots on and said he was ready.   niece teresa was shocked and she and his older brother tried for 4 hours to talk him out of it.  he was resolute.   we were chatting at the table earlier and out of the blue, he said he was going to find a new family.  teresa and i think he is exploring possibilities.  he told his aunt chris that he was going to sleep in the loft of the  playhouse by him self, and he did.   first time ever sleeping alone.   he consulted me on the drive up on his cousin katie.   he said, "dubby,  you know i really like aunty chris and i like playing with jane and katie,  but they always grab me and i don't like that"   i told him that we would have grampa get out of the car first and take katie by the hand and explain to her that you don't like to be hugged or grabbed.  that worked so well, that later when he fell and got  a booboo, chris asked kate if she had  given matthew a hug afterwards and she said, " but i'm not allowed to touch him".   the next day chris brought him up to sandpoint to stay with my daughter wendy and he slept in a cot next to wil's bed, again by himself.   it was a great weekend of independence for matthew.   we went skiing and had a great time.  his mom couldn't stand it and drove up to get him that day.  he was supposed to stay one more day.   in the car while driving him to coeur d'alene to his mom, he told me he was going to trick his brother into coming up the next time.  what a cutie, and he so takes after his mom.   she really deserves an independent child after all the grief she gave us.  and my grampa would say, what goes around comes around.

oh, and i have had the flu since we were in branson, so i have been sick for two weeks through all of the drama.  so much for flu shots,  i think i got it on the plane going down, and it has hung on stubbornly.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 12:55 PM

so with all the family drama and being sick. i am so behind on projects.   today is the day.  i should be skiing, but here i am waiting for my room to warm up enough to sew.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 1:10 PM

and i have lost my glasses.  a neighbor came to the door while i was sick, i remember putting them in a safe place and i haven't seen them since.  i have torn the house apart twice.  i am using cheater and i cannot see anything, i am queasy from everything blurry, and i am not going back and replacing any errant stitches my near-blindness may have contributed to. 

boy am i whiny today.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 1:12 PM

and to continue whining we have fake snow today,  you know,  raindrops with their little white overcoats on

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 1:21 PM

Is, the only thing that is protected is the pattern itself.  you cannot copy it to sell.  you cannot teach a class and give out copies, the students must puirchase it, unless you have permission of the owner.  other than that you can give the pattern to a firiend, you can make anything you want out of it, you can sell quilts you make from the pattern.  they can threaten to sue.   they can put as many "you cannots' as they want, as many warnings of dire consequences as they want.   the only thing they have owner ship of is  the pattern itself and how that pattern is distributed.   once the pattern is sold to you, it is yours to use how you wish, barring the giving it out free to students and selling the pattern or copies therof.

my understanding of giving credit for the pattern is, it is a courtesy to put the pattern makers name on the quilt, but not required, unless you are enterring it in a show.  there the rules of quilt shows say you must give credit.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 1:29 PM

Wow, Gini any Christmas season excitement at your house?  Good for Matthew, my grand kids have been spending the night with us since they were born.  When we lived in California, I took Christian home with me for a week when he was 4 months old, and took him to the mountains camping for a week when he was about 8 months old.  The other two boys have been staying with us since they were babies and as you can tell, spend as much time with us, if not more, than their parents.

DD2's significant other is much more protective with the little one...he hasn't ever spent the night with us, but has spent all day with us several times.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,964
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 1:37 PM

4 of our grandkids are used to sleepng over and have since they were babies, sometimes their folks just got into bed with them if they come in too late.   not so much anymore now they are older.  princess will feel sorry for me when sam is gone and ask to stay over so i have someone to snuggle.   the grands get so little home time, that they prefer to spend their free time at home with their toys and animals.  i live in town where the kids go to school, it is easy for me to have them after school.  they live out of town about 15 minutes

gini in north idaho

Page 172 of 220 (3296 items) « First ... < Previous 170 171 172 173 174 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use