Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 170 of 222 (3327 items) « First ... < Previous 168 169 170 171 172 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,326 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 6:18 PM

I have all of the good new gadgets...held off on getting smart phone until my old phone just plain quit.  When that happened I decided to go with the flow and get a smart phone, only problem is that I'm not smart enough to use it properly.  Took me 2 days just to learn how to answer it when it rang, LOL.  I tried to go without the microwave when it quit, that lasted 2 days.  I was absolutely lost without it.  I have two PC's and a lap top and one of the old-fashioned Kindle's.  I just bought each of my two middle grandkids Kindle Fire's for Christmas, and the older one a Nexus 7 tablet.

I have 3 digital cameras, a small one I keep in my purse and a better one that I'll take with me if I remember when going to something special (like the retreats).

Went to the LQS this afternoon.  She had given her employee's the day off, so it was just she and I in the store.  The water pipes in the suite next door, which is vacant, burst and there was 6" of water in her shop.  Fire department and ServPro came to clean up the mess, as she and I got everything up off the floor that we could.  Her Bernina and serger were plugged into the floor on surge protectors so we don't know what kind of damage they may have sustained.  Her large commercial embroidery machine was plugged in up high on the wall, so we don't think that anything happened to it.  The long arm and machine were in the last room and the water hadn't reached it yet, so we unplugged it right away.  She was planning on moving into a new little strip mall closer in town, and I think this made the decision final.

Anyway, I bought backing and batting for the Lone Star Sampler, along with 6 spools of thread.  When we had done all the cleanup we could do, I left.  The fire department was gone, haveing shut off the water at the main, and turned off the electricity to the empty suite.  ServPro and her insurance company were there with her assessing the damage.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,039
Points 108,700
chocake2 replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 7:49 PM

Oh How awful, Karla. i'm glad she had insurance. Will pray that the damage is only minimal a she comes out of it that much stronger. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 8:00 PM

Wow, Karla! That was awful. Hope her insurance covers it all.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,417
Points 62,215
Bonita replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 8:32 PM

Ok, I have a new cell phone and it's a track phone it has some features I need to learn how to use or not, didn't want to have a contract to pay for each month. My old track phone was about seven years old.Have a 13 year old microwave for popcorn and reheating day old piza. An older I-Pod for listening to my music in the sewing room. A ten year old camera that still takes great pictures. I did treat myself to a new computer this past year and didn't mind spending money on it as it's my primary entertaintment. I would like a new sewing machine with a bigger throat so I can get some of the tops quilted myself. Right now they're folded up on the shelf. And Maggie, I had to laugh if you think 45 is old!!! Try looking 70 in the face that's where I'll be come Feb. Ouch!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 11:31 PM

I dont have a smart phone, only a basic not so smart phone which I use to call my DH when we are shopping and Ive lost him LOL. I have a computer which I use for e-mail - QCA and news, any more and my kids have to show me, same with digital  camera. I dont think Im stupid, just dont care to learn how to operate all these gadgets. I did get a new Janome 6500 memory craft sewing machine from DH for Christmas and will take the time to learn how to operate her. I  set the machine up tonight  and read over the instruction booklet . I worked on a blanket for my DGS with it and fell in love. It so quiet and smooth and really gives me a perfect 1/4 seam allowance. My DD cant wait for me to monogram and applique for her. OH, this was another Christmas present, my DD and DSIL are going to have another baby next summer, it was quite a surprise for us. We are so happy for them. I just love my grand babies.  Im up late typing on the computer because its the only quiet time i can have around here with all the company we had, and have.   Good night , all.   Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,403
Points 45,195

I have a smart phone that is way smarter than me. Like someone else said, I don't care to learn all these gadgets. Seems like all the younger folks want to text instead of call and I get to see pics of my grands on Instagram. I don't post anything, just look at their pics. I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I use but really prefer a real book. I have an ipod which is great for listening to in different rooms or on the go. I have a laptop and a pc. I need to replace the pc but am hesitating because I don't think my EQ would work. I have 5 upgraded to 6 upgraded to 7. Not sure I could install 5 on a new system. I have a nicrowave that I warm things up in, have a couple of modern sewing machines that I learned to use because that is where my interest lies, LOL. I have a digital camera that is several years old. It doesn't take very good pics which is probably operator error. I'd like a newer one but don't want to learn to use it so probably won't get one. This one is good enough to post pics of quilts on QCA. I have thought of starting a quilt diary which would need a better camera, but so far it is just a thought. No one else is really interested in my quilts so it would just be for my benefit. Guess I better get on with my day. Weather is Florida is warm, partly cloudy and I need to cut grass again. Would like to have a little winter break on the grass, LOL, but sure don't want any of that white stuff! Happy sewing all.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,085
ls2116 replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 7:40 AM

Typed a long reply and it must've gotten lost. because it didn't post?  I sometimes wonder about that?  Anyway i'm gonna get on with chores.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,054
Points 170,018
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 10:05 AM

Bonita:
I had to laugh if you think 45 is old!!! Try looking 70 in the face that's where I'll be come Feb. Ouch!!!

OK, you youngsters!  Try looking at a year where you'll be 76 and one day old on New Years day and so on and so on until the 21st of December, 2014 when you'll turn 77!  I think I may be the oldest one here, let's see if anyone else owns up to being older.  BTW, I'm feeling pretty good today, I'd say about 60 and in good health, thanks be to God!  

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 414
Points 8,365
Pat A replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 10:53 AM

Marie, I can't top that.  Im only 73 although today I feel 100.  I spent so much time getting my house cleaned up for my DS and 3 DGD that I am worn out.  they arrived yesterday afternoon and will stay until New Years day.  It is a joy for me to have them because they live in England so I don't get to see them very often - like maybe once a year. 

Pat A. in Ky

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,379
Points 48,850
Ginny replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 2:48 PM

Marie, Marie,  Did you forget about your nemesis?  I am still here and I am still nearly a year older than you.  Turned 77 in November.  Now get busy with those great grands.  I have 8 with number 9 due in April.  But I will admit right now I am not feeing so chipper, my arthritises  are giving me fits at this moment.  I can commiserate with Thea somewhat in the aches and pains area.   But they will pass in a while.    Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
jmyers08 replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 2:53 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have a question. I have 100's of handkerchiefs that were my husband's mothers. We would like to have them made into a quilt. Could you direct me to someone who would be interested in making a quilt for us?

I sincerely appreciate your help!

Julie Myers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,054
Points 170,018
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 4:55 PM

Pat A:

Marie, I can't top that.  Im only 73 although today I feel 100.  I spent so much time getting my house cleaned up for my DS and 3 DGD that I am worn out.  they arrived yesterday afternoon and will stay until New Years day.  It is a joy for me to have them because they live in England so I don't get to see them very often - like maybe once a year. 

Pat A. in Ky

Pat, now you need to rest and enjoy your family, a year is a long time to wait.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,054
Points 170,018
Marie replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 5:03 PM

Ginny:
Marie, Marie,  Did you forget about your nemesis?  I am still here and I am still nearly a year older than you.  Turned 77 in November

Ginny, if I didn't have my name embroidered on my underwear, I'd forget my name!  You have 8 and expect the 9th great grand?  How many grands do you have?  I have one DGS, 32 and one DGD, not quite 17. 

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 5:36 PM

No wonder so many of us moan and groan with aches and pains!!  Ginny, you beat me by 3 1/2 years and 4 great-grandchildren.  I turned 73 in May and we have 3 great grandsons, one great granddaughter and another great grandson due in March.  We have 9 grandchildren, 3 older nearing the late 20s (brothers 1/1/2 years apart), and 6 between 14 and 18.  That is why I am making so many college quilts.  The oldest of the younger 6 started college this year and 2 more graduate in June plus 4 grand-nieces and grand-nephews.  6 quilts are now in the works for them - all long college dorm length (Queen-length Twin).

Pat, I guess we are close to the same age!  Aren't these GOLDEN YEARS fun?  I guess our gold must be our families.  Wish I could see the great-grands more often.  We did see all of them in November - 3 from PA and one from Germany.  The new baby will be a year old before we will get a chance to see him as was his brother.  Maybe when grandson's tour is over, he will be stationed closer so we can see the little ones more often.  He is hoping for South Carolina, I think, but he has 1 1/2 more years to serve over there at Ramstein Air Force Base.   

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Dec 28 2013 5:56 PM

Karla:
 She was planning on moving into a new little strip mall closer in town, and I think this made the decision final.

Karla, That is not the best way to be convinced she has to move her shop.  She is very lucky you showed up when you did to help her with rescuing her inventory.  Good friends are hard to find and you sure were one for her.

Our phones are ready to quit but we are NOT going to learn the new type phones, especially Rich.  It took him long enough to learn how to use his flip phone and neither of us have the desire to use all the "goodies" on these new phones.  I use mine for emergencies and Rich uses his for his trucking.  We have the children programmed on quick-keys and also have one key to call the house phone (and answering machine when we are both away) and another to call each other's cell phones.  That is all we need.  The rest of our phone numbers are on a computer generated sheet in a plastic protector that we carry in the truck with us.  He cannot figure out how to use the address book in the phone (or refuses to learn) so he keeps the sheet of names and numbers with him for farmer's addresses for their receipts and for their phone numbers in case he has to call them. Verizon still has flip phones, so I will replace them soon.  One desperately needs a battery and if they are able to be found, they would be over $75 each or more!  The phones cost less than that, especially when renewing the contract.

I am in need of a new laptop because mine is trying to die.  The screen is turning green because it is breaking down and is getting increasingly harder to read.  First spot was in the right upper corner, but the second one is near the middle.  I have to scroll the screen to read what is in that spot.  The shopping has begun for a new one, but again, I just need a serviceable one.  I have no desire to use touch screens and all the other unnecessary (to me) gadgets.

Marsha - Western New York

Page 170 of 222 (3327 items) « First ... < Previous 168 169 170 171 172 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use