Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 169 of 220 (3296 items) « First ... < Previous 167 168 169 170 171 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,295 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,093
Points 14,135
Dawn replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 10:24 AM

The cactus' are all very pretty!!!  My Mom can grow things, me, not so much.  

DH went back to work and I have been tidying up the house.  Dishes done, bathrooms cleaned, laundry started, bedroom swiffered, trash collected.  :-)  Fun huh?  

Now sitting w/feet up and will maybe watch something for a bit, then might head to the sewing room.  It is still a mess after the small flood and I need to put it back together, but am really dragging my feet.

Did I say how much my bowling team loved the little wall hangings I made them?  They just went on and on and on.  :-)  Makes me feel good.   

Well, onward . . .

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 11:04 AM

Wow, now that Christmas is over, it's time to sit back and relax for a few.  Have cleaned up most of the mess.

I think I might be able to finish the last block for the Lone Star Sampler wedding quilt, and maybe work on the LUS a little.  

And it is definitely time to get back to healthier eating and exercise for the New Year.  I must have gained 10 lbs. between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Back to being serious and reversing this trend.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 11:54 AM

I'm going through the posts for the last few days, so forgive me if this is ill-timed.

Kelley, Min Pins are cute, but $2200.00?  I know when you look at the pet stores, the smaller the dog, the bigger the price.  But there are so many unfortunate, precious cats and dogs waiting for the Christmas miracle of a new home.  Please check out Petfinder.com before buying a puppy from a store (if that's where you were looking).  There are no real guarantees where they have come from.  No reputable breeder will give their puppies to a store to sell, so they mostly come from puppy mills.  These places are full of neglect and abuse and the only real way to stop them is to stop the demand for the dogs they produce.  It is true that every year thousands of dogs and cats are put to sleep in "shelters" because their time ran out and the limited space is needed.  I will promise you this one thing.  You can find whatever kind of dog you are looking for, whether it is a puppy or adult, male or female, if you have a little patience and look hard enough at the rescue groups online.

Sorry for the little rant, but I volunteer with a local rescue and we have so many puppies right now.  Also, our local shelter is so overrun, they're practically giving cats away.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 1:22 PM

All of my pets have been rescue animals, whether from an animal shelter (like the SSPCA), the local animal control, or just from an abusive home.  They make wonderful pets and surely will love you forever for rescuing them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 1,855
hhhdmh replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 1:29 PM

My husband rescued our fur baby from a shelter. She was on her last day. She is our baby and has been for 12 years. God Bless. Darlene in Indiana

God Bless

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 4:20 PM

Ugh. My bum is in the dirt. Anyone with any energy left is sure welcome to come do my Christmas clean-up for me... I'll let 'em!

Patti I love your Christmas socks :D

My Cactus refused to bloom, but the amerilus has great big beautiful red flowers on it. The first one  opened at sunrise yesterday - right on time!

MiL came and spent the day with us yesterday, leaving this AM. Bossman joined us for the afternoon and stayed to play games with the kids into the late evening. It was just too much excitement fro Sprout, who missed hi afternoon nap in all of the hubbub and he put in a restless night as a result. 

all in all it was a very good Christmas. DH got me a gift cert for the sewing machine store so I can buy the foot i need for my Bernina (Didn't tell him that it costs about 2ce what he gave me, since he was so sure there'd be $ left for padding my stash too.) DD gave me a beautiful charcoal sketch she did in art class. DS made me a wonderful soft crocheted scarf, and Jr made me personalized ornaments. I love that they all gave me things that they  made! 

Jr's clammering for a new hat like the one I made for his brother, so that's a project to add to my to-do list. Ds hasn't taken his off since he got it (I even have it on good authority that he slept with it last night. LOL)  'Glad it was well received because it was a bear to make. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 11,455
weezee56 replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 11:45 PM

Marie, your Christmas cactus is so pretty.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 7:34 AM

I have to run to store today.  Just wondering how many of you have a smart camera and a smart phone along with a tablet or computer.  Just wondering if I need all these devices or is one all you really need?

My brain is always working overtime on something it seems.  Then the more devices all the individual identifiers it really perplexes me.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 404
Points 8,195
Pat A replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 8:33 AM

Is, I only have an old  computer, a cell phone which I carry with me in case I have an emergency otherwise I don't use it, a telephone land line and a digital camera.  I wouldn't know how to operate all of those other devices.  I guess if you don't have them, you don't know what you are missing.  LOL

Pat A. in KY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 8:56 AM

Same with me Pat.   Old cell phone to communicate while traveling and only "on" as needed.  We have no cell phone coverage where we live, and the cell phone would just roam endlessly til it's dead.  So we have to have a land line.  We don't even have a TV.  I have an old computer, and my husband does have some things for work.  Ha! Now I don't even have a microwave.  The one I received as a Christmas gift 23 years ago died Christmas day.  I like the extra counter space so much, that I am not going to replace it.  I only used it to warm things up anyway.  And I can use the old double boiler to melt chocolate. 

The most advanced thing I have is my sewing machine.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 10:20 AM

I'm with Pat and Patti:  No cell phone. No TV. No Need.I have this laptop because the Boss couldn't take it when my computer died and felt he needed me to have access to e-mail (not that he ever e-mails me, but, he might...) and that's it. (I will say that I missed you all terribly when I was without a computer -- but not the gadget itself)   ...I do have a microwave, but it's on it's last legs and i doubt I'll replace it when it finally gives up the ghost. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,342
Points 38,935
Mimi replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 10:49 AM

What am I up to today?    I'm trying to catch up with all you prolific quilters. I've been lurking but not responding.  The last week has been very busy.  I've traveled down and back to northern VA to watch my DGD's #1 and #2 in their dance recitals last Saturday.  I've had DS and DDiL here three days for Christmas.  She is a recipe writer and blogger and was supposed to make dinner on Christmas....but who do you suppose ended up doing all the cooking for each and every meal?  You're right if you said Mimi.  Then down and back  once again in one day to northern VA to be with DD and DSiL and DGDs before they head off to Massachusetts to be with his family. Had loads of fun.  We took family pictures so that was great.  DD made a yummy veggie lasagna and salad.  I contributed dessert.   So today is recovery day.  I'm going to try and get some of Bonnie Hunter's MQ done today.  Also need to catch up on LUS as well as some BOM's I've got waiting.  Hope everyone is not as tired as I am.  I'm off to try and accomplish something for me today.  Have a great day!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 1:25 PM

Is and everyone, I have a plain ole cell phone that won't hold much of a charge I keep putting off getting a new one because I don't want to start a new contract.  I mainly have it to keep in contact with kids.  I used to travel alone to my mom's but she is in Heaven now.  I do have a microwave and would be lost without it.  I had a Kindle Fire and never figured out how to use it.  Need to take some lessons but it is out of date now too.  I guess my sewing machine is the most up to date thing and they aren't selling that anymore either.  Gee I'm feeling really old right now.  Will be even older in Jan. :)

Joyce

Maryland

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 2:16 PM

Joyce, Don't feel too old, I'm 45 next week and I finally wanted a new cell phone (mine was old and malfunctioning) after being out of contract for 3 years (just riding on the same rate, no new phones).  I left my server for Consumer Cellular.  I had to buy a new phone ($35.00) which paid for itself in the first two months, but I don't think I would have had to if the one I had worked well enough for me to care.  I don't use it that often, but don't have a land line either, so it is my only phone.  I have an Ipod that was given to me by my boss out of our prize closet because it sat there so long it was out of date.  I did get an update for it for about $10.00.  I have no home computer (I'm at work -shhhhh), and my microwave came with the house 13 years ago.  I did get a new digital camera (for my quilts) last year, and have two newer sewing machines, but they're nothing fancy. Am I frugal?  Heck ya.  I'd been looking for a new bike for my mom for a couple of weeks (yes, for Christmas).  Found one at ToysRUs that was $150.00 - marked clearance to $49.00 - yesterday I went back and got another 20% refunded back on it.  I will spend money when I want to, but I love being cheap.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 5:04 PM

Cheap is good, Maggie.  Heck,  In my life it's a necessity!! I couldn't afford gadgets if I wanted 'em, so it's just as well that they don't interest me. 

We've been getting along on DH's wages, but of late that's not enough. I'm a seasonal employee and about half the time I work for free because there's no money in the account to pay me. I'm having to think seriously about going back to work...especially now that Obamacare is taking an extra hit on our income (but that's another rant altogether...). It's either get a paying job or go on food stamps...  I have a high school education and minimal job experience, childcare expenses and a long commute. I'm not sure how I'm gonna make it work...

Page 169 of 220 (3296 items) « First ... < Previous 167 168 169 170 171 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use