Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 126 of 221 (3308 items) « First ... < Previous 124 125 126 127 128 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,307 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 9:07 AM

We saw a new frame (to me anyway) that you put any regular sewing machine on. This is the first time I have seen where a frame has a "tray" with handles, that you put your sewing machine on, drop the feed dogs and start FMQing on your quilt. That would seem to be a good alternative for those that don't want to buy a separate machine. You would have to have the space for the frame, it was crib size to king size. I'm not sure how it opens up to be larger, or if you have to put more of the frame together to make it larger. I like it as a alternative. Here are a few pics from the store I took if anyone is interested in something like this. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 108,645
chocake2 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 9:33 AM

tnmtgrl:

weezee56:
My biggest problem is pining the quilt sandwich together. I'm hoping the frame will take care of that. I'll tell everyone how I like it after I try to use it. Wish me luck...

The Grace frames are not that hard to assemble or load with fabric. They use tubing pushed into a groove on the rail to hold the fabric.....if you have the leader cloth from them it makes it much easier too because their leader cloth is printed with lines and measurements that make it real easy to line up the fabric. You can make your own leader cloth, I did when I first got my frame but I ended up ordering their leaders, I am really happy that I did too, they are great...got them from Sew and Vac Direct online...they were a little cheaper than ordering directly from Grace. They come in one size ,king, but are very easy to cut down to queen size.

I agree. Loading isn't difficult. I may have to order their leaders. Thanks for the tip on getting them cheaper!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 108,645
chocake2 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 1:04 PM

I finally got started on the cancer quilt this AM. The kids helped pick the colors. I'm going with a modified rail-fence pattern in blues. We'll see how it comes out. Sprout has been a helper.  So far he's lost the power cord to the sewing machine; un-threaded it; ransacked my stash; stole my selected fabrics; ran with scissors; hidden my ruler....     Who wants to babysit??

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 256
Points 4,675
Lesley replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 1:25 PM

Would babysit CC if I was nearer. Am trying to make a table runner as a gift for our friends in Sarasota who we will be with 4 weeks today. Not seen them for 2 years so am very excited. It has been more challenging than I thought but I have made some progress today so am pleased. Also need to finish appliqueing the leaves onto the mystery quilt for next Saturday so I must apply myself this week. Can't remember if I mentioned I am hoping to get voluntary redundancy from work, now we are playing the waiting game whilst the powers that be make a decision. Please keep your fingers crossed it goes my way.

My brother is having family problems with his sister in laws over the care of his FIL. It was arranged that he and his wife would care for Ben in their home. ( He's in his mid 90's riddled with cancer and just very very old) At present he is in hospital and basically taking up a bed. There has been a lot of fallings out over Ben as Peter and Gel are his main carers as they were for Gel's Mum. 2 of her sisters believe they are missing out and are making everyone else's life a misery they have refused to allow Ben to live his life out with Peter and Gel as they think they will be denied access. Even though Peter and Gel have assured them that they will have full access ( lawyers etc have been involved) the hospital are siding with the SIL's and not allowing Ben to live with them. My poor brother is under a huge strain ( he has a dodgy heart) and my SIL is making herself ill with worry. It sounds harsh but I am hoping and praying that Ben just slips away very very soon. Your prayers and thoughts would be appreciated as I am I can't make it right for them and as his "big Sis" I wish I could. Thanks for reading.

xxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 768
Points 11,560
weezee56 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:27 PM

CC, Thank you for the info on your frame. My DSM has a 10" throat  hope that will make it a little easier. I bought it with quilting bigger quilts in mind. I would also love to have a long or mid-arm with a metal frame, but my budget will never let me. Unless I won the Lotto,( I never play) so I guess that wouldn't happen. I asked DH if he would help me assemble it when it comes and he just laughed at me, so I'll call DS, I'm sure he will help me.  

Diane, I wish I could have found a barely used frame, I've been looking for a while now, and I'm not getting any younger. That is why I ordered a new one. I'll let you know how long it takes me(us) to get it together, and as soon as I get it going I'm going to use it to quilt my MQ9. MQ9 is for DSIL for her Christmas present. She is in Georgia, and will be stopping there on the way to Florida this winter.

Jen, Thank you for your info on the leader cloth. I did get some, I ordered them from Kathyquilts on Ebay. I hope they are just as good.

CC, Diane and Jen, which grace frame do you three have?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 768
Points 11,560
weezee56 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:36 PM

CC I feel for you. I remember having small ones in the house. I watch my 5year old DGS1 and he does the same thing. He never puts anything back where he gets it from. I don't do any sewing when he is here, unless he is asleep. My nerves won't take it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,375
Points 48,770
Ginny replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 5:17 PM

I just want to thank everyone that had kind thoughts and prayers for me to get thru this trying time.  It is more difficult than I anticipated, but I see little improvements every day.  I just want to do things that I know that I shouldn't right now.  It is just sick that I have to ask my only daughter that lives near to do so much for me.  She has so much on her plate right now and her furnace took its last gasp last night so has to be replaced with money she doesn't have right now.  So please say a prayer for her that she is able to keep some semblance of sanity about her until things get worked out.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 108,645
chocake2 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 6:13 PM

Prayers for your Daughter, too, Ginny. 

Weezee, I think mine is the "little Gracie" if I remember right. I bought it 2nd hand, and well, forgive me, but it's still packed since our last move 2 years ago. I really have been slack on my quilting since Sprout came along.  Truth be told, I should sell it, since I don't have a place to set it up and use it. 

I've finished my quilt blocks.  I had DD stitch some strip sets for me while I made treats for the scouts pot luck tonight, or I'd still be at it. I'm using up a bunch of calico I inherited from my Friend's Mom when she passed. (Bless that sweet lady, she told him to make sure I got it) and so we have a white with blue flowers in each of the blocks. The kids chose the colors and we ended up adding red to the blues they picked earlier. The result looks very patriotic. I rather like it...  I still have to come up with a backing (I'm thinking minky or flannel) and something to use for a border. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 6,590
didash replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 7:18 PM

Weezee - my frame is a "Little Gracie" (crib to queen).  I purchased it along with a Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter (only used 3 times - as was the frame) for $1500.  Sounded like a good price to me with the frame and machine being in brand new condition!  Found it on Craig's List.  The ad was a couple of days old when I saw it - couldn't believe it was still available!  Love the machine, but have not had a chance to use the frame yet...need to get that utility quilt started!  I have 3 quilts needing to be quilted, but want to practice on something I won't care about messing up - LOL!  Forgot to mention that several of the "Pattern Perfect" patterns came with the frame as well as several paper patterns, laser light for following the paper patterns, stitch regulator, goose-neck lamp, thread case and a couple spools of thread!  If I overpaid, nobody tell me!! LOL!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 6,590
didash replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 7:20 PM

Oh yeah...also got a couple of books and a CD with lots of quilting patterns and a PILE of leader cloth!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,299
Points 45,910
Angele replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 7:36 PM

CC I will have to order some so I can make a pillowcase for my friend...lol 

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,465
Points 23,995

It was a beautiful day in Northeast Kansas today, so I spent the day doing  much needed yard work.

Prayers going up for all of you on this thread with health problems.

I just bought the new  Viking Platinum 16, which is a sit down quilting machine. I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet as I just got in set up on Wednesday and I have been working at the LQS since then. Can't wait for Tuesday when I can spend the whole day playing with it. I bought it new, and it isn't cheap, but I am excited about it. I can't take my money with me when I go. I told my kids I am spending their inheritance.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,402
Points 45,175

Michelle:
We saw a new frame (to me anyway) that you put any regular sewing machine on.

Michelle, did you see a price on this? I tried searching online and only thing I found was some youtube videos. Didn't see where it could be purchased and couldn't find it on Bernina's website. I can't afford another machine, but if I could get one to use with my current machine (11" throat) that might be doable.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,299
Points 45,910
Angele replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:28 PM

Prayers going to everyone in need. Be certain that I keep you and your family in my prayers.

CC when my boys were young, I rarely had the luxury of sewing. Mind you I didn't have a sewing space. As the boys left, I arranged myself a nice sewing area in the basement. I like my woman cave...

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,299
Points 45,910
Angele replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:31 PM

I would love to find a frame for my Sapphire. It has to be something I can put away when not in use.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 126 of 221 (3308 items) « First ... < Previous 124 125 126 127 128 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use