Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 125 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 123 124 125 126 127 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,119
Points 14,425
Dawn replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 10:40 AM | Locked

That is what I am doing, re-organizing and throwing!  Kinda hated throwing the magazines though, but I just told myself not to look.  :-)  There were some that weren't that wet, so that is good.  I just hate throwing "vintage" F&P!  Thankfully I had more stuff under the cabinet that was in plastic tubs w/lids on, so that helped.  My counter is now all cleared and clean!  I will launder some stash and of course the material I bought for my SS got wet.  Oh well, I like the material, so I will just buy more!  Had DH old jeans in the cabinet, it got wet in there cause the door didn't close all the way, those are sure heavy!  Want to make a nice heavy quilt w/those, so, maybe once they are dry again I will get to cutting those up.  Going to help DH move at least one cabinet and then might see if I can applique some on the Christmas hangings I am making for my bowling team.  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:14 AM | Locked

Oh, Dawn, how miserable!  I'm glad it wasn't more of a disaster, but I don't envy you that clean up job.  If your sewing room is anything like mine, every square inch of space is tied up with something quilt related.  I have piles on piles and should probably invest in some big plastic totes like you mentioned.  Good luck with the job ahead!  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 15,770
weezee56 replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 1:51 PM | Locked

Dawn, I do not envy you in your clean up. I need to clean my sewing room after every project. I have decided to get a frame for my Viking sapphire and need to condense some of my stuff to get a spot to put it. so I will be cleaning about 2 weeks. Good luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 5:36 PM | Locked

Ginny, the good news is this week is over.  Next week has got to be better for you!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 555
Points 8,770
Joyce replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 5:37 PM | Locked

Dawn I'm sorry about the mess you have and hope the clean up goes well.  

weezee I'm interested in your comment about a frame for your Viking sapphire.  What type of frame if you don't mind me asking.  I have a sapphire also and have never heard of a frame.  I just bought a clear table few weeks ago for mine and I love it.  It makes the quilting projects slide much easier.  Oh I bought a plastic sheet to put on the table & machine to help the fabric slide.  I did a table runner and it moved really easy.  The queen size quit was easier to slide while quilting but still tight.  I keep wondering if there is something I should be doing different when quilting the big quilt.  Good luck getting your frame.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 5:42 PM | Locked

I agree with you Kath.  Next week has got to be better.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 5:46 PM | Locked

Dawn,

I heard a tip from Mrs. Margaret Tully, a serger expert.  She said to prevent your fabric from tangling in the wash (and with far less fraying) to fan fold the fabric and pin one fan folded end together with safety pins. 

Smaller pieces of a yard or less can be washed and dried in mesh lingerie bags and they will still get clean.  Just don't pack them too tight.

I hope the flood clean-up goes well.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 5:48 PM | Locked

Ginny,

I do hope you feel better soon.  You've had much more than your share of it for a long, long time.

Kath

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 15,770
weezee56 replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 6:45 PM | Locked

Joyce, I have been looking for a frame for a long time and I think I have found one. It is a grace frame and you don't have to use their speed control (they don't fit my machine.). There is a way to push down on your foot pedal with a lever attached to the hand rails. I'm going to order it tonight. You can set it up for crib or queen. I'm going for queen. My biggest problem is pining the quilt sandwich together. I'm hoping the frame will take care of that. I'll tell everyone how I like it after I try to use it. Wish me luck...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 7:18 PM | Locked

Dawn

Sorry you are having to do all that clean up but really glad it wasn't worse.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 8:48 PM | Locked

weezee56:

Joyce, I have been looking for a frame for a long time and I think I have found one. It is a grace frame and you don't have to use their speed control (they don't fit my machine.). There is a way to push down on your foot pedal with a lever attached to the hand rails. I'm going to order it tonight. You can set it up for crib or queen. I'm going for queen. My biggest problem is pining the quilt sandwich together. I'm hoping the frame will take care of that. I'll tell everyone how I like it after I try to use it. Wish me luck...

I have a Grace frame. It's great for saving on pinning, but you need to be careful about loading it. Avoid tucks!!  My biggest issue with it is that I have a DSM with a standard throat. It's fine for small quilts, but Queens? Fuggetaboutit.  There's plenty of room at the start but by the time you get to the last bit, the rollers are so full that there's only an inch or two of room for stitching on the quilt. A mid-arm or longer throat would make all the difference there!! (Frankly, if I could afford that, I'd buy a heavier duty frame). Because of the all wood construction, humidity can cause sticking issues with the speed control. I think if I were a hand quilter, the frame would probably get a whole lot more use then it does. Be prepared to do alot of assembly when you get it. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,188
Points 15,900
Susan replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 9:05 PM | Locked

Ginny, My prayers for a quick and full recovery, you sure have endured a lot of health issues. 

Dawn, So glad to hear your optimistic view on all the water damage.Yes, it could have been worse but what a job cleaning and sorting all the mess. I bet you never thought you would praise loud snoring!!!

I am getting ready to go to my sewing room for awhile. Cleaned house, shopped for some groceries, made a pumpkin pie and took a nap today. We had a three day weekend off from school so I have been staying up late cutting out Christmas fabric.   Hope everyone has a blessed Sunday.     Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:44 AM | Locked

Dawn thanks for the reminder I have to get some machines up off the ground.  Haven't had water yet but I'm always worried that I will.  

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 309
Points 7,025
didash replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 7:44 AM | Locked

weezee56:

Weezee, I just purchased a barely used Grace frame - same size as you ordered.  It was all in pieces and the assembly wasn't really that bad - the instructions are very clear.  I just had to get hubby to help me move it into place once it was all together because I was on a concrete floor - my basement is my "woman cave" where I do all my sewing, scrapbooking, and have my "office".  I haven't had the chance to use it yet - need to get a "utility quilt" together to practice on before I do a "good" quilt! LOL!

Let us know how you make out setting it up and how you like it!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,740
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:20 AM | Locked

weezee56:
My biggest problem is pining the quilt sandwich together. I'm hoping the frame will take care of that. I'll tell everyone how I like it after I try to use it. Wish me luck...

The Grace frames are not that hard to assemble or load with fabric. They use tubing pushed into a groove on the rail to hold the fabric.....if you have the leader cloth from them it makes it much easier too because their leader cloth is printed with lines and measurements that make it real easy to line up the fabric. You can make your own leader cloth, I did when I first got my frame but I ended up ordering their leaders, I am really happy that I did too, they are great...got them from Sew and Vac Direct online...they were a little cheaper than ordering directly from Grace. They come in one size ,king, but are very easy to cut down to queen size.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Page 125 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 123 124 125 126 127 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use