Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 122 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 120 121 122 123 124 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 11:45 PM | Locked

Donna B:
At this last retreat we checked in at 3pm on Sunday (had Sun-Wed nights lodging/ Sun pm through Wed pm for quilting)and checked out by Thurs 11am)

we checked out Friday.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:19 AM | Locked

Laughs.  I can see Donna still has "retreat lag."  She still hasn't gotten re-oriented to time and place. 

Retreats are held in their own time/space continuum.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 586
Points 10,140
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:21 AM | Locked

Is it Maggie that is collecting the heart blocks? I can't find the thread. I also can't find the address to send it too. I did send her a PM just in case. Thanks

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 11:38 AM | Locked

Patti:
we checked out Friday.

Oops, my mistake!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 11:39 AM | Locked

Quiltless:

Laughs.  I can see Donna still has "retreat lag."  She still hasn't gotten re-oriented to time and place. 

Retreats are held in their own time/space continuum.

LOL...you've got that right.  Plus my head is wrapped around this new/old treadle right now...trying to find out how best to restore her.

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:49 PM | Locked

Donna B:

LOL...you've got that right.  Plus my head is wrapped around this new/old treadle right now...trying to find out how best to restore her.

Nothing wrong with just cleaning it up, putting a little shine on it and using it.  What were you thinking you might do for a restoration?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 4:36 PM | Locked

Quiltless:
What were you thinking you might do for a restoration?

Kath, the machine itself isn't frozen (thank God), but it is very dirty...so it needs a really good going over, cleaning out the gunky oil that has sat for years, re-oiling and greasing, etc. It really needs to have all the mechanical parts disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled.  It will also benefit from a new treadle belt.   We may end up sending the machine to someone who is experienced in re-furbishing these old machines.  I discovered there is a person in Seattle who does this!

The cabinet is in terrible condition - looks like it has been sitting in a chicken coup for at least 50 years!  The cabinet top is splitting and de-laminating.  Thankfully, DH is pretty good with woodworking and is willing to work on the  top.  I have done quite a bit of re-finishing myself, so can tackle the rest of the cabinet.  Once he re-builds the top it will be a matter of matching the stain to the rest of the cabinet.

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:19 PM | Locked

Donna B,

That sounds ambitious!  Glad it is you and not me, Donna B!

I was grazing the sites selling completely restored Singer Featherweights today -- thinking of getting a simpler machine and not taking my big embroidery Singer XL 6000s to the retreats.  That kind of traveling just can't be good for the computerized machines.  Wow!  They get a small fortune for those restored antique Singer machines. 

Besides, with the Singer XL6000s electronically controlled tensions, I haven't been able to get it to play nice when trying free motion quilting.  (I am  not saying I actually know how to FMQ, but I'm trying to learn.)  Anyway when trying to do FMQ, it bites, snarls, throws thread tantrum nests, breaks its thread and needles, yells at me with orange blinking lights, gives me the silent treatment  and goes home and won't play ball.  But, it sews beautifully, does a good fascimile of a hand quilting with a patented built-in stitch and does embroidery like a dream.  The Singer XL 6000s are such Divas!

I have heard the featherweights are very nice for FMQ.  (I really do sound like I'm trying to justify getting a featherweight here.)  Well, we need some other things first -- like paint, furniture and landscaping -- so I'll just window shop for now.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,015
Points 15,510
weezee56 replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:48 PM | Locked

zoetc49:

Is it Maggie that is collecting the heart blocks? I can't find the thread. I also can't find the address to send it too. I did send her a PM just in case. Thanks

It is in off topic.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 895
stetlerarts replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 6:14 PM | Locked

I love the Amish quilts. I was born in Ohio and always had a love and respect for the Amish.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:47 PM | Locked

Quiltless:
I have heard the featherweights are very nice for FMQ.

Hmmm, and I've heard that you shouldn't FMQ on a Featherweight because it's hard on the motor.   It has a small throat, too, so I'm not sure it would be my first choice for FMQ.

It is sweet for traveling, though.  You really don't need to spend what they're asking for a restored Featherweight.  They're pretty easy to service yourself.  I got mine on eBay for $155.  It's not as pretty as some, but it sews a fine straight stitch for basic piecing.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:49 PM | Locked

Quiltless:
I have heard the featherweights are very nice for FMQ.  (I really do sound like I'm trying to justify getting a featherweight here.) 

Kath, You need to talk with Michelle!  Her husband refurbishes Featherweights and will paint them just about any color you want.  He does impeccable work!  They have a web site  and they sell on EBay.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:57 PM | Locked

Oh Marie.............  Lookie what I found: http://www.joann.com/novelty-quilt-prints-heavy-equipment/12509592.html

Really I was looking for a sweet juvenile print of dinos driving backhoes i saw in the new sales flier. Really!! I was. that's the truth! (...can I help it that I got sidetracked?)

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:02 PM | Locked

Quiltless:
I have heard the featherweights are very nice for FMQ.  (I really do sound like I'm trying to justify getting a featherweight here.) 

I haven't tried FMQ on my FW...mainly because I had heard just the opposite.  There is a thread in Off Topics on Featherweights...you might scan back through the discussions there and/or throw out a question to those that are more experienced with the FW machines than I am.  

If you watch on EBay, you can get a nicely reconditioned FW for under $500.  That is what I did and mine is actually in very nice shape.  Take a look at the pictures on my blog!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 12:40 AM | Locked

Quiltless Kath

I don't think I would even try FMQ on a featherweight.  The throat space is tiny and the feed dogs don't drop.  It however is a great straight stitch machine and is perfect for classes and traveling.  You can find some really great ones on ebay for a couple hundred dollars.  They are also very easy to clean and service on your own.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Page 122 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 120 121 122 123 124 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use