Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 121 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 119 120 121 122 123 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 9:55 PM | Locked

Such unusual weather we have had this year.  Now the flowers are trying new tricks - at least for me.  By now we should have had our first snow.  We have had ice on the windshields and frost on the ground, but nothing remotely like late October.  After frosty nights we have had days in the 70s and even one 80.  This week there has been a chilly change, but the flowers have surprised me.  Here are 2 pictures - one a Hosta - definately  getting ready for winter with seed pods open and leaves drying, but trying to hide in the center is a very short flower stalk.  The flowers usually extend about 18 to 20 inches, but these must want to keep closer to the warmer soil!!!  My Horticulturalist - Art Quilter daughter says hostas bloom once a year.  I asked her about them a few weeks ago when she was here since one of mine had just started blooming, and now here is one with it's second set of blooms.

Here is another, my barely existing Clematis - It has struggled to survive for more that 10 years.  The blooms are usually 3 to 4 inches across.  This year I had more blooms than usual on the very spindly vines.  Last week Rich banked a cellar window with leaves and didn't notice anything.  Yesterday I discovered this bloom - it must have been open for several days.  The size is what really got me - I didn't measure it, but estimate it's size at about 7" across - just one bloom.  The bloom is on the back side of the trellis facing the house and probably enjoying it's blanket of leaves along with the window,

I hope this means an easy winter.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 10:24 PM | Locked

L

Marsha-SM:
I hope this means an easy winter.

Such lovely flowers so late in the season.  I too was gardening yesterday and noticed some wooly bear caterpillars.  They had very long brown bodies with very short black heads and tails.  Doesn't that mean a long cold winter?  Maybe in your neck of the woods it will be an easy winter and here in SE Pennsylvania it will be more white?  At any rate thanks for the flowers.  I had some late blooming Shasta daisies this month too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 383
Points 8,485
didash replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 11:49 PM | Locked

Mimi...where are you in SE Pennsy?  I was in Vineland until we moved to Bear, DE 3 weeks ago!  There is supposedly a quilt shop not to far away in Middletown that I want to check out...weren't many places to get really nice fabric where I lived in Vineland - one nice fabric store and Hobby Lobby...even Joann's was a 45 min-1 hr drive away :(

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 5:51 AM | Locked

didash:
Mimi...where are you in SE Pennsy?

What a small world!  I have two cousins who live in Vineland.  One was a policeman last time I checked.  But I live close to the first exit off the NE extension of the PA turnpike in Lansdale.  Everyone talks about Hobby Lobby but I don't know what that is.  I do have a Joann's close by but only go in to purchase notions, etc.  Not much fabric meets the mark.   I'm taking a personal day and I'm going on a Shop Hop November 8 - 11th in 10 local quilt shops in my area. Should be fun.  Good luck finding your new place to pet fabric.  lol

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 8:37 AM | Locked

Unusual, but beautiful flowers, Marsha  Thanks for sharing.   Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 8:43 AM | Locked

Mimi:
Maybe in your neck of the woods it will be an easy winter and here in SE Pennsylvania it will be more white? 
 No such luck here.  We are just north of the  western PA border, south-east of Buffalo and the snowbelt.  We seem to be in a streak of less snow - heaver bands north and south of us, but usually 10 degrees colder than Buffalo.  Enjoy the Shasta daisies.  I can't seem to get them to winter-over here.  Sometimes they survive for one winter, but that is all.  I love any kind of daisy, but especially Shastas.  You soon may be enjoying a different kind of white!  Forecast is for 65 today and 40s and low 50s for the rest of the week with falling slushy snow!!  Good thing we got the wood stove pipe connected yesterday.  

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 9:09 AM | Locked

Lots of PA folks.  I will be in PA Thanksgiving week.  My father-in-law is getting married to a wonderful woman.   Most of DH's family is in PA, one sister in Ithica, NY.   Two siblings in Norristown area, and I forget the town the other is in.  Hope to visit Intercourse when there.  One of my favorite places.  

My clematis and honey suckle are blooming again.   Unseasonable nice here in WA state as well. 

Yesterday was the cider pressing day.  I am sore and tired today and about ready to leave for work.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 9:47 AM | Locked

Today is a sewing day...yesterday was going to be, but getting ready for DD1's baby shower this next weekend got in the way.  DD1 called and was in a melt-down because she was unable to do the cleaning she had planned, so DD2 and I rushed over to help.  Mind you, DD1 is not a real cleaner, much like me, but DD2 is a whiz when it comes to heavy cleaning (takes after her father, I guess), but we got all of the heavy things done.  Since everyone else is at work, I plan on finishing the baby quilt today, and also trying to get some work done on the RR's that I have here (thank you Nana for bring it to the retreat) and doing laundry (I've got that started).    Still haven't got all of my sewing stuff unpacked...oh well, it will get done.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 12:11 PM | Locked

Karla:
Still haven't got all of my sewing stuff unpacked.

I guess I don't need to unpack.  Tomorrow is the guild's "quilt-til-you-wilt" day.  Ugg, what if I'm already wilted?  Actually,  I managed to convince the cat to let me sleep until 7:30 this a.m., so that should get me back to normal energy levels.  Then we ran to town to restock the fridge, walked the dog, and now I need to cook up some things to prepare for the week ahead.  Don't know that I'll get to any sewing today even though the church bazaar will be here before I know it, and I didn't finish many of those projects at retreat.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 12:47 PM | Locked

chocake2:
i'm not a good person to be in charge of anything.  i would have everyone arriving on the wrong week.  i've done that before.  how many does the retreat area hold?  
I'm not a good person to organize anything either, but since I seem to have started this I guess the job is mine.   I called the hotel where they have the LQS retreats and asked them for info. The already have a group of quilters coming in Sept next year so we'd have to work around their schedule, but we can get a block of rooms without any trouble. They quoted me $70 a night (including tax) for a single room (2 beds) plus the rent on the convention center. The good news is they are going to finish the new building in May and designed it especially to accomodate events like this so there should be plenty of outlets and floor space to set up tables. As for how many they can handle, they offered to rec room free of charge if we can guarantee that we'll fill up 20 rooms.  She said that the quilt shop regularly brings in more then 20 quilters for their 3 day events. 

So, how do you go about getting sewing machines to your retreats? What about folks who don't travel with them and need loaners? 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 12:49 PM | Locked

chocake2:
i'm not a good person to be in charge of anything.  i would have everyone arriving on the wrong week.  i've done that before.  how many does the retreat area hold?  
I'm not a good person to organize anything either, but since I seem to have started this I guess the job is mine.   I called the hotel where they have the LQS retreats and asked them for info. The already have a group of quilters coming in Sept next year so we'd have to work around their schedule, but we can get a block of rooms without any trouble. They quoted me $70 a night (including tax) for a single room (2 beds) plus the rent on the convention center. The good news is they are going to finish the new building in May and designed it especially to accomodate events like this so there should be plenty of outlets and floor space to set up tables. As for how many they can handle, they offered to rec room free of charge if we can guarantee that we'll fill up 20 rooms.  She said that the quilt shop regularly brings in more then 20 quilters for their 3 day events. 

So, how do you go about getting sewing machines to your retreats? What about folks who don't travel with them and need loaners? 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 2:40 PM | Locked

I think those who drive bring an extra machine if they have one...I know I could bring an extra if needed.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 10:13 PM | Locked

Karla:

I think those who drive bring an extra machine if they have one...I know I could bring an extra if needed.

Yes, most of us that drove brought at least one extra machine.  My extra wasn't spoken for, but I brought it along...just in case there was a problem.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 10:36 PM | Locked

chocake2:
As for how many they can handle, they offered to rec room free of charge if we can guarantee that we'll fill up 20 rooms.  She said that the quilt shop regularly brings in more then 20 quilters for their 3 day events. 

CC,  I would be interested in a Montana Retreat depending on the timing and price.  I am already committed to the Oregon Coast 2014 Retreat the first week of November, so it would have to be in September to work for me.  And, of course, that is still canning time so I would have to make some decisions early.

Did you say the location is an hour and a half from Glacier?  If I come DH would probably come along and plan to hike in Glacier - if that's feasible.

One comment I would make about your post is that many of us that travel have found that we want the retreat to last at least 3 FULL days if we are traveling some distance to get there.  At least 4 nights lodging = 3.5 days of quilting time!  At this last retreat we checked in at 3pm on Sunday (had Sun-Wed nights lodging/ Sun pm through Wed pm for quilting)and checked out by Thurs 11am).   As we filled 4 rentals (8 bedrooms) we had the quilting room free.  (We also had 3 other units occupied above the required.)

You're going to get questions on the rooms ie what IS a "single" room with 2 beds?  Is that two "single" beds (can 2 people share that room?) or 2 double beds (possibly 4 quilters share or one couple) or 2 queen beds that could also be 4 quilters or 1 couple.  See what I mean?  If you have to fill 20 single rooms with only one quilter per room...that may be difficult to do...

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Mon, Oct 21 2013 11:10 PM | Locked

Patti:
Hope to visit Intercourse when there.  One of my favorite places.  

Mine too.  I know your time will be limited but I'd love to meet up with you in Intercourse if possible when you're here in November.  Don't mean to be presumptuous but there's nothing like spending a day with a quilty friend.  Let me know if you think it might be possible.

As for the weather....it's one more day of nice fall weather and then cold, colder, coldest since the springtime.  Ah well the seasons come and go.

Page 121 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 119 120 121 122 123 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use