Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 113 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 111 112 113 114 115 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,538
Points 47,600
Pat Lancaster replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 4:35 AM | Locked

Thanks for your help everyone. I had done some searching on google and found nothing free. I didn't want to pay for a pattern when I know I have one. That's why I save hundreds of magazines, lol, so I can't find a pattern when I want it. Guess I need a new system. Gini, I like the idea of the zippered pocket for storing cords, but of course I don't have a zipper so that means a trip to JoAnns.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 10:01 AM | Locked

There goes your paycheck, Pat. LOL

I succeeded in making the stuffed giraffe yesterday, after all. When I sat down to stitch it together, the power cord to my sewing machine was missing. It had been 'Sprouted."  I looked in all of his usual hiding placed. No cord. I called Dh and asked him if he'd seen it, and he said yes, he'd taken it way from the munchkin and put it back where it goes. double checked, and still no luck finding the cord. I was just about to give up when I happened to look at the shelf where Dh stashes stuff when he's too lazy to put it away properly. Sure enough... Once I had my machine set up it only took a few minutes to sew the critter together (altho with Sprout under the table pressing on the power petal got kind of interesting)! Today the giraffe will get his mane and tail, and perhaps i'll get the bibs made too. Maybe I'll applique a giraffe on them so they all match? 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 29,655
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 12:01 PM | Locked

chocake2:
(altho with Sprout under the table pressing on the power petal got kind of interesting)

CC--Good luck with Sprout helping. Munchkin #2 was so intrigued by the machine plus a climber to boot I would have been happy if he had stayed on the floor. It was when he climbed on the machine to help me sew that I decided sewing wasn't worth the potential accidents. I took up quilting and therefore serious sewing again when he had graduated from high school. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 12:49 PM | Locked

Agnes:
I took up quilting and therefore serious sewing again when he had graduated from high school. 
 oh, please agnes, say it isn't so.  wil is 11 and still climbing up anything he can.  do i have to wait until he's through high school?   

he was up on the mantle the other day.  how he ever thought the  mantle would hold him, i'll never know,    and there was nothing up there to get or see or do????   the mantle is only 6 inches wide.   i guess it was just the thrill of the climb or the thrill of seeing if i could still yell.   he certainly wasn't after the dust bunnies, i should have handed him a rag. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 3:03 PM | Locked

Sprout does his share of climbing. In fact, yesterday when he wasn't seeing if he could make Mom nuts by pressing on the foot control, he was climbing on the table and snatching pattern pieces. His siblings did much the same thing and I solved it by having them sit on my lap and 'help' me when they got a little older. They all made their first sewn projects by the time they were 3 1/2-4. Of Course, Sprout has a ways to go yet, but his time will come. For now, I must settle for only stitching during nap time. 

Thankfully, today, he's taking a nice long snooze. i got the mane and tail on the giraffe and made two quick poncho bibs for the new baby. Now all that's left is a patchwork ball, and baby will have a nice little pile of handmade gifts from his/her new aunt and I. LOL  I didn't make this little papoose a quilt as both Grandma and Great Grandma put my quilting to shame. Not to mention that  the actual auntie (who is a year younger then DD and sews beautifully!) commented that she's making one. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Points 2,030
stitcheraz replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 4:13 PM | Locked

When I replaced my sewing machine and also got a backup machine, I got one that has a start/stop button because my dog discovered he could stop me from sewing by standing on my foot on the pedal.  The ladies at the shops where I bought the machines thought it was quite a funny reason for wanting that feature, but agreed that it made sense.  My dog was quite irritated when he discovered the machine whirring above him and there was nothing on the floor making it happen.  Now he has his own bed on an extra chair by my machine and sleeps there while I sew.

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 29,655
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 5:26 PM | Locked

gini:
Agnes:
I took up quilting and therefore serious sewing again when he had graduated from high school. 
 oh, please agnes, say it isn't so.  wil is 11 and still climbing up anything he can.  do i have to wait until he's through high school?   

Gini--I didn't wait till he was through high school to quilt because of his climbing. I honestly don't remember when he got enough smarts to access the climbing situations better. I still sometimes shudder about some of the heights he does but he is getting far more cautious and has scaffolding and various ladders and doesn't take the risks like he used to. But then he is just about 40. Quilting at that time was because an opportunity presented itself. I didn't have to wait until I was either a grandmother or retired or both as I was sure I would have to.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 29,655
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 5:31 PM | Locked

The biggest reason I left the sewing machine gather dust all those years was that we purchased a hardware store when Munchkin was a year old. Anything I could do in the little spare time I found had to be enjoyable. Being scared stiff of sewing through my hand when he climbed on the machine and reached for controls it was just easier to give up and do handwork. It was also easier to fit into a few minutes in the evenings when I was too tired to think.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 5:38 PM | Locked

I finally got a moment to sit down with the new Quilting Arts magazine. There's an article about using dye attractant in it that intrigues me. I know several of you were playing with snow dyeing last winter and thought you might be interested as well. The product they used is called Jacquard Color Magnet. The samples they show in the article are very vibrant and look like commercial tone on tone prints. Pretty yummy!  ....*sigh* someday. Someday.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 9:19 PM | Locked

chocake2:
The samples they show in the article are very vibrant and look like commercial tone on tone prints. Pretty yummy!  ....*sigh* someday. Someday.

Don't be sad, CC.  It will snow soon and you can play with dyes then.  :-)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 10:23 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

chocake2:
The samples they show in the article are very vibrant and look like commercial tone on tone prints. Pretty yummy!  ....*sigh* someday. Someday.

Don't be sad, CC.  It will snow soon and you can play with dyes then.  :-)

Dye is not something I want to play with while Sprout is little and 'helpful.' 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 11:05 AM | Locked

Today I put up 4 quarts of red bell pepper bisque.  I think I'll have to freeze the rest of the still-green peppers rather than risk losing the plants while we're gone to Oregon.  That's it, then, for veggies for this year!  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,832
Points 40,015
ls2116 replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:46 PM | Locked

I found my fabric for backing, had to travel a bit to get it.  I'm a little disgruntled if that is even a word.  This year was the first time I seen printed wide fabric, and when I asked if they had more in stock the girl said it had been discontinued how can that be?  Yes I'm talking about my favorite joanns.

My DB is getting ready to leave for FLa. and I don't know if he'll be back for holidays.  I know the holidays will go on but it just wont be the same.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 1:06 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
Today I put up 4 quarts of red bell pepper bisque
MMmm. That sounds yummy.  I spent the whole dang morning peeling coring and chopping apples so I could put up...4  PINTS of apples for baking this winter.  I've come to the conclusion that canning apples is not worth my time or effort. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 3:29 PM | Locked

ls2116:
 I'm a little disgruntled if that is even a word

disgruntled is a word and so is gruntled.

if you are gruntled, you are made happy and content. i don't believe i have ever heard gruntled used in a sentence, though. 

i would like to be gruntled by QCA,  but at the moment i am very disgruntled by it. 

gini in north idaho

Page 113 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 111 112 113 114 115 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use