Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 83 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 81 82 83 84 85 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 8:53 AM | Locked

Wow, Carolyn,  You got quite a haul.  I especially love the batiks.     Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 721
Points 14,105
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 9:08 AM | Locked

On Thursday, my darling older daughter gave birth to her second daughter. Adelaide Dove (Dove is the English translation of Mom's maiden name) weighed in at 6lbs 4oz. She was full term but was having a little trouble getting enough oxygen in her lungs so she was in an incubator with oxygen and IV hooked up to her tiny self. But yesterday she came off the oxygen except when she's eating. My daughter said, "She was so hungry she forgot to breathe!"  We're hoping she gets out of the incubator today so she can move in to Mom's room in the hospital. I got to hold her last evening!  Right now the tears of happiness are beginning. She is adorable and is going to be just fine!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,525
Points 177,388
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 9:15 AM | Locked

Congratulations grandma!  What a pretty name, Adelaide Dove.  Glad all is well, we're expecting pics.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 9:17 AM | Locked

Wow! Great hall IS! I'm sorry you had to put off your trip for a day, but I'm sure it'll still be a pretty drive.

Carolyn, I'm jealous of your goodies. 'Hope you win that Bernina! ;-)

Angele, have fun with your canning. Think how good  everything will taste in Late January, when you're sick of frozen fingers and cold toes!

I'm back to work today. Hopefully Bossman's DD has slunk back into her hole and I won't have to babysit a drunk...  I'm still feeling a little feeble after yesterday and I don't have the patients to put up wit her. DH informed me yesterday that his work schedule is SNAFUed (again) this week, so tomorrow will be my last day of work unless i can find someone to watch Sprout next week. Wish I'd known that a week ago.... 

The kids are hopeful that I can finish up early today and take them to town for the threshing bee. That'll be bittersweet this year as a friend I always enjoyed seeing there passed away last month. 

Now I need to get organized and go face my day. Have wonderful adventures, Ever'body!!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 9:19 AM | Locked

Congratulations, Carol.   Grandchildren are wonderful. Praying that everything is going well and she will be home soon.   Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 510
quig639 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 10:45 AM | Locked

I'm working on mystery quilt #9.. Am I in the right  place ?

Any one ?

Thanks..............PatC in western NY

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,819
Points 39,825
ls2116 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:31 AM | Locked

Anyone have an answer:  Why are Batiks so much more costly than regular calicos quilt fabric? 

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 12:33 PM | Locked

ls2116:

Anyone have an answer:  Why are Batiks so much more costly than regular calicos quilt fabric? 

The answer in a nutshell is that unless printed like a calico they go through a different process and therefore are more labor intensive. Examine a batik piece. Again unless printed, there is no actual repeat. It's more like a tie dye process. In all the batiks I have used there was one that was printed and the same price as a calico. Otherwise they have all been more costly than a similar print from the same source.

From the Hoffman site:

Quilters and sewers come to Hoffman California Fabrics for the best in original screenprints and hand-dyed batiks and handpaints. As a wholesale converter of the highest-quality quilting cottons and blends, Hoffman designs and creates more than 800 innovative screenprints and handmade batik fabrics each year. It employs a team of in-house textile artists to create fabric designs for the quilting industry and garment manufacturing. Quilters (consumers) are encouraged to ask for Hoffman California Fabrics' authentic Bali batiks and superior-quality screenprints at quilt shops and other independent retailers.  

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,353
Points 20,380
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 1:23 PM | Locked

Is, it's like Agnes said- they are hand-dyed instead of machine printed. 

Cc, I'm sorry about your friend. I hope you can enjoy the event. I had a similar thing not too long ago. Went to one of my favorite plays. I had been several times, but there was one really special time with a friend who passed away. When I went back, she was all I could think of!  Hopefully the kids will distract you. <3

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 8,840
Jan replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 2:01 PM | Locked

Carol,

Congratulations on the granddaughter.  I am rather partial to the name Adelaide as it has transcended 6 generations as we know it of at least middle names. My granddaughter Theresa Adelaide loves it and brags that it is a family name and she was blessed with it.  I am sure your little Adelaide will be every bit the joy to you as our Theresa Adelaide (now 15) is to us.

Jan in Rochester

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 8,840
Jan replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 2:12 PM | Locked

Pat,

No you are not on the right page.  Go into groups, then to Mystery Quilt 9.  Join the group if you have not done so.  Under discussions are the threads for each step. That is where you would post your choices, progress, pictures. and questions. Hope this helps

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:26 PM | Locked

carolyn, you got some great fabric. nice haul

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:31 PM | Locked

happy birth day to little adelaide, and congratulations to the new gramma.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:32 PM | Locked

CC, i'm sorry to hear about your friend.  [[hugS}}

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:42 PM | Locked

now that i've finally gotten down here to sew, i've forgotten half the stuff i intended to bring.  oh well,  i'll clean for a bit and maybe work on a different project.  heaven only knows (and a few of my friends) that i have enough to work on. 

how can you lose an 8 1/2 by 24 inch ruler?   i swear i had it just a couple of days ago.  my house was cleaned three days ago so there's no where there for it to hide.  i can't pick up my sewing room without it.  well i could.  i have all the picking up done , but i need to put away fabric, and i use that ruler to fold it on so everything is the same size and fits on the shelves nicely.  i get shudders thinking about folding fabric over 6 inch rulers, then everything won't be the same size.   the only time i know i am truly anal retentive is when i start quilting.  most of the time i'm pretty laid back.   a few years back i had to get a nightguard.   i was clenching my teeth while i quilted.  how dumb is that?   (rhetorical question, you really don't need to add to that statement)   this is supposed to be a relaxing endeavor.

so  i forgot to post this and now i will add to it. 

i couldn't stand it and got another 8 1/2 inch ruler.   the old one will be awaiting me at the front door,  i'm sure, hands on hips, chastising me for finding a replacement.  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Page 83 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 81 82 83 84 85 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use