Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 44 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 42 43 44 45 46 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,671
Points 65,735
Bonita replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 4:56 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
Everyday I pray for snow.

Max, that made me laugh out loud. I'm glad you're staying on the ground.

Love your EPP flowers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 5:22 PM | Locked

IT REALLY IS A SMALL WORLD!!!

DH and I just made a quick trip into town to check out the local Farmer's Market and guess who was sitting at a picnic table in our City Park?  

GINI & SAM!

After a great big hug, we find out that we have several mutual friends (two who live here in Winthrop and one who we've known for over 20 years).  

DH & I were able to have a really nice chat with Gini, Sam and mutual friends for about an hour.  How great is that for a sunny Sunday afternoon!!!

Gini and Sam are on their way to Seattle so we will probably be hearing grandma and baby stories shortly...

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:09 PM | Locked

Congratulations Carol on the ribbons! Well deserved from what I see here.

Max it's so nice to hear from you! Please take care when you get on the ladder. Tell DH to take lots of breaks as to prevent heat stroke.  Your blocks will make a great quilt and your hexes too!

as for me, this was a very busy week DS1 was home then off to Winnipeg for a wedding, drop off our two boys who came at the airport, then back here. Laundry and cleaning as tomorrow school starts! Mixed feelings about that. I know I'm close to saying bye bye, and I want time to sew but not sure I want to be here all the time. Well as I see what my schedule will be and which students I'll work with that will help me make my decision.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 7:39 PM | Locked

Donna

That is awesome.  I would love to run into Gini and Sam at one of our parks.  I know you guys had a wonderful time.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,021
Points 15,585
weezee56 replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 8:27 PM | Locked

Congrats Carol on your ribbons.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 8,565
Joyce replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 9:08 PM | Locked

Carolyn your quilts are so pretty.  And the barn one is great also.  Did you say you entered

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 9:27 PM | Locked

Max!  So good to hear from you!  Love your hexies.  Do you cut your fabrics to hexigon shapes, or do leave them as squares and then baste them on to the paper templates.  I have a book that says I can do the latter, but I wonder if that doesn't just create a lot of extra bulk.  The thought of actually cutting out thousands of hexies is keeping me from starting one of these quilts.

How can you do that kind of outdoor work when it is so hot???  All I feel like doing is sitting on a comfortable chair in the air conditioned house.  Even making a quick trip outdoors to move the hose (never ending!) makes me sweat.

Don't be a stranger.   ...and you're right, where is CC???

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 9:28 PM | Locked

Donna B:

DH and I just made a quick trip into town to check out the local Farmer's Market and guess who was sitting at a picnic table in our City Park?  

GINI & SAM!

How fun was that!  Glad you had a nice chat.  Is the water flowing at your house now?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 9:31 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
Is the water flowing at your house now?

It's flowing, but not from the well...from the water trucked in to the cistern.  

Stay tuned, they will start working on the well this next week.  Sigh...

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 11:04 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
The thought of actually cutting out thousands of hexies is keeping me from starting one of these quilts.

Nancy, have you looked into the Inklingo method of doing hexies that Kris uses?  You can do them either by hand or machine (larger hexies).  I've been trying this method and really like it.  You might want to look at some of the videos on www.inklingo.com

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, Aug 25 2013 11:42 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
Do you cut your fabrics to hexigon shapes, or do leave them as squares and then baste them on to the paper templates.  

Nancy, I use 2 1/2 inch squares for 1 inch hexies.  SO MUCH easier than cutting the hexagon shape.  I blundered into a deal on pre-cut 2 1/2 inch squares of some really pretty Rowan fabrics. Couldn't pass up the deal, but then didn't know what to do with them since flowery fabrics aren't really my thing. I saw on someone's blog that they used the squares for hexies and decided to give it a whirl. Lovin' it!  My old stiff fingers have no trouble folding the  squares around the paper, without the fabric slipping. Always struggled with the cut hexie shape slipping/creeping sideways while I tried to baste it.   I'm not noticing a great deal of extra bulk, especially after I press well.  It may be an issue if I tried to hand quilt the finished top, but I plan on machine quilting.

MNnancy:
How can you do that kind of outdoor work when it is so hot???

I get up early and start working about 7 am.  The temps are in 70's then, usually.  I am done for by noon-ish.  If there is a good breeze and I'm in the shade I might work until 1 or 2 pm.  But then I'm beat.  Our humidity is so high here this time of year it makes painting a pain.  I try to paint early, then scrape later.  We have been blessed with an amazingly mild summer so far. Usually in August we are dealing with high 90's and 100's.   Would sure make this project move along faster if I was 30 again...or 40....even 50 would be a big improvement!  But ya work with what ya got...

Max

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 12:49 AM | Locked

Carol, congrats on the ribbon.

jaci, how funny your son looked for my name and found the ribbons.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 12:52 AM | Locked

Yep, there I was talking to our friends, and who should walk up but Donna.  What a nice treat to visit with you.  I forget how beautiful that pass is.   And I do not miss the Seattle traffic.  We finally pulled off at 6:30 to get some dinner I and let the traffic thin out,  we had a great dinner,  but the traffic was still bad. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 1:02 AM | Locked

We have a small investment in a hotel,here is Seattle and get good friends and family rates when we stay.   Some friends of our are here staying at our rate.  Dexter was acting up and out of control in the room.  He daddy said, " dex would you act that way in papa sam's house?"   Dex, " no."   Daddy," how do you think papa Sam will like you acting up in his hotel?".   Dex immediately settled down.   Daddy went down to the lobby to get something.   When he got back to the room, dexter was hiding behind the curtain, worried that Sam was coming in to yell at him.  

Dex doesn't know we're here yet, tomorrow is his birthday and we're going to surprise him.   I didn't know we were going to be here tonight either.   I called to make sure the barn was available and had forgotten the bed is being used tonight.    I'm glad I called, we'll go over for some baby squeezing tomorrow. I think the bed is ours tomorrow.  I think that is called hot bunking.

gini in north idaho

replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 6:05 AM | Locked

Good morning everyone.  I'm here in FL and need to get back to my sewing/quilting. My Viking se is lonely and I have loads of fabric but no inspiration.  I can't seem to find any quilting clubs here in central fl either.  I'd like to sew for profit or charity.  No family here in FL.  Any suggestions?  I'm using up my scraps now, but its not very inspiring.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 44 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 42 43 44 45 46 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use