Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 41 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 39 40 41 42 43 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:12 PM | Locked

Donna B:
Now, they are finding the well is only putting out a trickle of water...not good.  ... I don't even want to think about the other possibility.

More than tornados, earthquakes, or war, running out of water is just the scariest proposition to me.  I think our country needs to start cherishing this natural resource more than it does oil.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:14 PM | Locked

donna, i'm sorry to hear about your water problems.   i hope you get it resolved quickly and cheaply

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:28 PM | Locked

Hi everyone, Its been forever since I posted last....maybe some of you remember me.  Been pretty busy today... into Savannah to pick up new glasses.  Gee, now I can really see.  Went by the grocery, over to JoAnns  to get a new strip cutter and then home to clean just a little.  Its getting toward fall, although you wouldn't notice here in Savannah....anyway the calender tells me its time to start working on anything that has a pumpkin on it.  I finished a twister witch hat this week and will start what I will call just because I like pumpkins...Hope you all are doing well...Have a great evening, quilty friends.

Cindy

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:40 PM | Locked

Donna, I hope the well problems are a simple fix.  In the past few years we have had well problems twice.  The first time one of the pipes developed a hole, that greatly reduced the water flow.  Replaced the pipe.  Last Thanksgiving the pump went out.  It had to be replaced, and our well is 345 feet deep.  So they had to pull up a lot of pipe to get to it.  Luckily it was before the snows, as it is not in an easy place to get to and we might have had to resort to melting snow all winter. 

How deep is your well?  The deeper it is, the less likely it will be affected by dry seasons.  But going deeper is not necessarily the answer as there is no guarantee water will be found. 

We only get about 1 1/2 gallons a minute, so we have to be careful and have a cistern too.  If we forget and leave the hose turned on full for more than a few hours, we run out.  But always recover by the next morning. 

I hope it is something simple that won't require drilling.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:48 PM | Locked

Cindy

It is good to see you back on the forums.  Hope you will continue to drop in to chat.  I would love to see a pic of your witch's hat.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 6:19 PM | Locked

Cindy:
Hi everyone, Its been forever since I posted last....maybe some of you remember me.
                                   Welcome back, Cindy!  We did a round robin together a couple of years ago. I wondered what happened to you ? Glad you are back with us, and try to stay in touch every once in a while!     Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,674
Points 179,313
Marie replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:17 PM | Locked

Donna, sorry about your well problem, hope it's resolved soon and inexpensively.  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,674
Points 179,313
Marie replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:19 PM | Locked

Hi Cindy, nice to see you posting.  Like Nana, I'd like to see a pic of your witch's hat.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:24 PM | Locked

Patti, our well is around 270 feet.  They've already checked the pump and all was fine there.  It could be a corroded pipe or a hole in the pipe...either way they need to pull the metal well casing and probably will need to replace it.  And yes, I am thankful that this happened now and not during the winter!!!   

We were getting about 2 1/2 gals per minute (10+ years ago), but obviously not now.  We've noticed the last year or so, that the cistern was not recovering as fast as it had in the past (after a hose was left on, a leaking valve, etc.), but after we found out about the cistern leak, thought that was why.  Apparently it was more than that!

The really ironic thing here is that we live on a "bench" on the side of the valley with five homes spread out over about a half mile.  Two are occupied by full-time residents (including us) and three are part-time vacation homes.  The two FT residences have the worst wells...with 1-2.5 gals per minute; the three PT homes have wells that produce 10-20 gals per minute.  Right now that sounds terribly unfair!!!  I wonder if they would agree to a "shared" water system...LOL?

Nancy,  you are so right!  We all take water for granted until we are faced living without it or paying dearly for it.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:33 PM | Locked

Donna B:
We were getting about 2 1/2 gals per minute (10+ years ago), but obviously not now.

BTW, the truck did come and deliver 3500 gallons of fresh water this afternoon...so we are set for the time being.  

But, we will be using water very sparingly until this is resolved!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 8:04 PM | Locked

Welcome back Cindy.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120
Elaine Phillips replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 8:41 PM | Locked

Thanks, everyone, for your t&ps for my DGD. I'm sure she will be fine, but it may take some time. What a fine bunch of friends you all are.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 490
Points 9,250
Darlene replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 7:01 AM | Locked

T&P for your DGD Elaine hope she has a speedy recovery

Darlene(2manyhorses)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 7:15 AM | Locked

Donna glad the water has been delivered. Oh how we all take turning on the tap for granted, in UK that's what most of us do. It's Saturday lunchtime here, it is also a bank holiday weekend ( Monday is a holiday for some people) me and DH included. He will play golf again! Tomorrow I am hoping we can actually "do" something or go somewhere instead of staying at home. I have had a lazy morning read the papers and am now doing the binding on the quilt for my godson. Have finished our godaughters apart from the label. Will post a couple of pictures later.

DH doesn't grasp the concept of texting that sometimes you don't actually want to talk to someone but you need to send a message. Our phone contracts do not have a text option but we don't actually pay any monthly fee. We bought them about 10 years ago and they give us 120 minutes a month talk time to a landline and other people with same company. Texts are charged separately but my bill is usually only £5 a month so we shall carry on as we are. I do agree about these couples who don't talk when they are in the same room because they are on the phone or iPad. Sme nights we are both on our laptops but we do talk and not send messages on Facebook like some people I know. 

The weather here is a bit hit and miss wet first thing but beginning to brighten up! 

Hope you all have a great weekend. I will share this that I have just heard on the radio

"when you hug someone do it for a few seconds longer because that could make all the difference " 

huuuuuuuugs xxxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 7:36 AM | Locked

Thanks for the long hug, Lesley.  I need that this morning.   Huuuugs back to you.    Ginny

Page 41 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 39 40 41 42 43 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use