Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 40 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 38 39 40 41 42 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,525
Points 177,388
Marie replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 10:03 AM | Locked

Elaine, so sorry to hear this, thoughts and prayers going up for her.  Depression is a B---H!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 10:06 AM | Locked

Elaine Phillips:

I had a phone call from my DGD at 4am crying and in pain, the second time this week. She went to the ER on Tuesday night with the same pain, oh I guess I should tell you that she is 8 weeks pregnant. I was concerned about ectopic pregnancy then, but the er docs couldn't see anything on ultasound so they doped her up with morphine and sent her home. Finally the staff paid attention this morning and called in an OB-GYN. Result was that she did have an ectopic pregnancy and she had surgery this morning. She had been bleeding internally since Tuesday. They kept her until 8pm tonight. She is doing ok at this point. But the whole situation could have turned out tragically. Sometimes I don't have much faith in ER staff. Please pray for her, I fear that she may become depressed. She's had problems with depression in the past.

I would think this action, or lack there of, by the ER docs. is a legitimate lawsuit. If I were you, I would talk to a lawyer. Had you not returned to the hosp, your GDG could have, easily, died. I would, also, get a copy of ALL the records from that visit

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 10:36 AM | Locked

Elaine

That is a really tough situation and I know I would be depressed if it happened to me.   Thoughts and prayers for your DGD.  Hopefully she will be fine and love from her family will get her through this tough spot.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,819
Points 39,825
ls2116 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:19 AM | Locked

Prayers going up for your DGD.  I miscarried once and still I wonder about it all.  

Today just finishing up quilt top.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:56 AM | Locked

Elaine thinking of you DGD. X

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:57 AM | Locked

darn, elaine, i will be praying for you granddaughter. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 12:08 PM | Locked

texting is a way to contact someone without interrupting their day.   it is quick and easy, and the recipient isn't obligated right away to answer.  if our daughter is in class and has a spare moment she can text or email me, without disrupting her class with a phone call. 

for sam texting is easier and more convenient than leaving a message.   he types his message and says call when you've got time.  that way he isn't interrupting something, dosen't have to wait for an answering machine to kick in. 

in wendy's school if the kids are caught using their cell phones for any reason, they are confiscated immediately and the parents have to retrieve them, the second offense the phone is not returned to the parents easily and it is a hassle for them, they get to listen to a counselor lecture.   the kid is banned from having them at school. 

i have a text free phone and so does mom.   mom had a charge on her phone once for texting.  she called the phone company and told them to take the charge off.   they asked her if she had ever texted.  she told them she didn't have a text plan and wouldn't know how to use it if she did.   they then asked if she had ever recieved a text, and she said to her knowledge she hadn't.   the then walked her through the text section of her phone and sure enough three times in the middle of the night her phone had recieved a text.   the messages....... were from the phone company telling her, her bill was due.   my mom who has never missed a payment or paid a late charge in her life was beyond furious at them. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 1:52 PM | Locked

gini:
 if our daughter is in class and has a spare moment she can text or email me, without disrupting her class with a phone call. 
So, your DD can text during class just for no good reason (i.e. no emergency). However, if the kids in her class did this their phone would be taken away. Isn't this kinda the pot calling the kettle black? 

My DS thins I need a smart phone (but I really don't understand what is "smart" about them. I can live happily without in constant contact with the world wide web. I don't require entertainment while waiting in a line. I never get so lonely in a store that I need to reach out, via phone, to  talk or text, someone. When I am eating out with another person, I am there to enjoy that persons' company. I am just trying to understand, why the world has gotten so far away from human contact, in the flesh. I even have seen fellow members at our church, during the sermon, texting. : {

Not having to "wait: for voicemail is just so not a valid reason, in so many ways. Still takes time to text and doesn't the phone make a sound hat would take a person's mind of their business at hand, with the  text?  I would be more likely, in a business interaction, to lean toward a customer or associate  who wants to talk to me then text me.

So, my decision is to not buy into the "fad". I have a computer, that I already pay for, at home. Why would I want to pay extra to have email or social media even when I am not home? I just don't get it.  the whole thing makes no sense to me. But, I sure do get some wild "good " reasons that make this so "necessary to life".

It hink all this constant need for attention is one thing that is wrong with this Country. 

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:20 PM | Locked

I need to vent this morning!  For the last six weeks or so, we have been dealing with water issues here in our "little part of heaven"...lol!  

We live in the dry side of Washington State and in a fairly remote area and have a well (for water) with a cistern and gravity-flow system that has worked very well to delivery water to the house for the last 10+ years.  Early in July, we started running out of water for unexplained reasons and had to call in Mr. Well-guy to evaluate the problem.  It turned out our cistern had been cracked by tree-roots!  (Some of you may have seen an earlier post about this!)  So, after paying mucho bucks to replace the cistern, earlier this week (after being gone a few days) we come home expecting everything finally to be A-OK.  However, after two showers, one load of dishes, and a few toilet flushes...we are again without water!!!  So, we call Mr. Well-guy back!  

Now, they are finding the well is only putting out a trickle of water...not good.  Now, this could be due to the metal pipe being corroded over the years(hopefully)...which can be fixed ($$$)...or I don't even want to think about the other possibility (even more $$$).  So, at the moment, we are hauling garbage cans of water from a neighbor's house to do dishes, flush toilets and live somewhat normal lives.  We are expecting a tank truck delivery of water to fill our new cistern so that we can take showers and wash clothes while they figure out the well issues.  (What is really scary is that there are some homes around here that have had their wells run dry every summer and depend on delivery of water by trucks (to their cisterns) to get by.  There are even a few homes whose wells have gone completely dry and receive water by truck year round!)

Maybe we were naive, but this was not an expense we planned for in retirement. Who would have thought? 

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 636
Points 9,445
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:25 PM | Locked

Sukochi replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 1:52 PM

gini:
 if our daughter is in class and has a spare moment she can text or email me, without disrupting her class with a phone call. 

So, your DD can text during class just for no good reason (i.e. no emergency). However, if the kids in her class did this their phone would be taken away. Isn't this kinda the pot calling the kettle black?

I think she means a spare moment between classes, or at lunch.  I agree that most people are pretty rude about not being present when they are actually with people because they're too interested in their devices, and there should be consequences when in class or church for using them.  They're distracting to you and the people around you.  I was at a movie and the gilrl next to me was on her device and all I could see was her big blue screen in the corner of my eye.  That's not what I came to see.  Texting should be like e-mail or voice messages.  Get to it when appropriate.  Don't treat it like a phone call.  If you have that much to say, call whoever you want to communicate with.  I don't have text on my phone because no one ever texts me unless it is spam.  I don't need to pay extra for that.  I recently switched to Consumer Cellular and cut my bill in half.  I had to get a new phone anyway and had to purchase the one I have now, but it's going to pay for itself in the first three months of savings.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:02 PM | Locked

Donna

Sorry about your water problems.  Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:28 PM | Locked

Oh, Donna.  You have my sympathies.  I hope you get the answers soon and it is some technical issue and not a water scarcity issue.

When I worked for government we saw a fair number of "dry well" situations arise after new developments or single new homes had been built.  Estimating water resources is not an exact science and sometimes they are just wrong.  The fact that some nearby homes have no water is a very bad sign.  I am crossing my fingers for you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,591
Points 75,975
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:49 PM | Locked

Quiltless:

Oh, Donna.  You have my sympathies.  I hope you get the answers soon and it is some technical issue and not a water scarcity issue.

When I worked for government we saw a fair number of "dry well" situations arise after new developments or single new homes had been built.  Estimating water resources is not an exact science and sometimes they are just wrong.  The fact that some nearby homes have no water is a very bad sign.  I am crossing my fingers for you.

Mine too, Donna.  Here is Nevada we know all about water scarcity, only averaging about 4" of precipitation a year here in Fernley.  We are on city water, but we pay an arm and a leg for it, and additional property taxes (about $350/year extra) to pay for the new water treatment plant they had to build because our water did not meet federal standards because of arsenic levels.  We never drink the water, always use bottled water, so we get a double whammy.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:05 PM | Locked

Karla:
 If one of my children buzzes me 3 or more times in a row, then I know it is an emergency and I excuse myself to answer it. The first time they abuse that emergency signal, they know I will stop answering at all.

That's a very good system!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,689
gini replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:11 PM | Locked

Sukochi:
gini:

no sukochi, i don't think it's the pot calling  the kettle black.  she is the adult in the classroom and there are a lot of things adults are allowed to do, that kids aren't.  

Sukochi:
"wait: for voicemail is just so not a valid reason,

you are retired sukochi,  my husband is not.   not only does he work, but he has been handed two businesses to run and he came out of retirement to operate them primarily so that his employees have jobs.  he doesn't need to work.   he works 10 - 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week.  is on the road more often than he is home.  he is in the air a lot and cannot call.  so if he can save time by texting, good for him.   the man works way too hard the way it is and anything that can save him time is alright by me.  he can use any "wild/good" reason he can come up with to make his life go more smoothly, means more time with me.   i like that. 

so even though you don't buy into the "fad",   it is now a very common and useful adjunct to the lives of many people around the globe. not a fad any longer, it's a way of life for most of us under 40.    not everyone uses it to gossip.

what's so different from typing on here and talking with everyone.  as far as i can see it is the same thing.  i'm typing on a computer communicating with you.  sam is typing on a mini-computer communicating with his people.   he's making a living for over a hundred people. you and i are basically chit-chatting.

now, when my daughter and her partner are sitting across from each other in the living room with sam and i, and they are texting each other,  i think that is rude. and i tell them so. 

gini in north idaho

Page 40 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 38 39 40 41 42 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use