Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 29 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 27 28 29 30 31 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
MelodyP MO/KS replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 11:45 AM | Locked

Donna B:

Frances:

Patti:

MNnancy:
...I'm becoming more convinced that there is no perfect place to live.

I think where Donna, Marge and I live is as close to heaven as it gets.  Lots of elbow room, and wild life.  However, you can keep that skunk that ran by the house the other day.   As for fires and slides, if one takes precautions the danger is reduced.  Usually there is time to escape if need be.  Now, I think those who live where there are tornadoes have it bad.  No warning.  I'd build an underground concrete bunker to run to in the day, and to sleep in at night.  And I'll take our mosquitoes over your flies any day.

Well, I live in tornado ally.  We do have notice for the most par.t.  If you have lived here long enough, you learn to look at the sky and know that there's a chance so use common sense and be ready to take cover.  They have and do catch people off guard and the whole world hears about those.  But it becomes a part of life.  It's hot in the summer and humid, it  can be cold and snowy in the winter.  But the constant is, people complain and if ya just waited a bit it will change!!  Keeps us on our toes.  I'm use to living in tornado country so mud slides, Forrest fires, hurricanes and earthquakes scare me to death.  Idaho sounds nice as does the North west.  But I'm from Kansas so that's where I'll go when the time comes.

Im sorry Patti, i hate to argue with you but i have heaven where i am no tornadoes, earth quakes, mud slides, fires, no skunks, no poisoness spiders, only one poisoness snake (and very few people have seen it, I have they are wonderful), I live 5 mins from the country, 10 mins from the town best of both worlds, winters not too severe, summers not too severe and a fair bit of rain to make it a green and pleasant land.

lots of love

Francesxx

Patti, you forgot to mention the bears, cougars and even wolves lurking around our wilderness...LOL!  But seriously, they are rarely seen and even more rarely bother people or animals.  Both Patti and I really appreciate having nature and wildlife around us...even if it does mean more bugs in the house sometimes (ugh).  

Frances, I spent about 30 years living in the Seattle area which is a very temperate climate much like England's and with roughly the same volume of people. Sorry, but personally I couldn't wait to get away from the hum of traffic and city life to a place with some fresh air and space to breath.  And, even more importantly to live in a "community" again!  (Where people are not afraid to say hello to strangers.)

Great Britain is a beautiful place and you are lucky to be in an ideal setting there.  But being in the USA, as Patti said, I would take the wildfires (where you can be prepared and have warning) and the occasional mudslide (in the mountains - not near our homes) any day over tornadoes & hurricanes (with little or no warning).

Now earthquakes, I confess, are another story!  They still cannot predict earthquakes and they can be very scary.  I've lived through 3 major ones in Portland, OR (1948), and Seattle (April 1965 & February 2001) and countless minor quakes - and I remember each major one very distinctly.  There are still minor fault lines where Patti, Marge, and I live but they're not prone to the big quakes that happen on the coast.  So, honestly I do feel safer here.

MelodyP

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,474
Points 38,880
Linda replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:06 PM | Locked

Ginny:

Linda, I am so sorry that your sons are such idiots.  I guess that I am blessed- or stupid.  I am watching an almost 4 y/o and a 6 m/o tomorrow all day.  The 6 m/o just had 4 shots at the Dr. office today.  I'll be dragging in on Friday.     Ginny

You will get the bed with the massager then. You will love it. The head and foot of the bed goes up/down too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,474
Points 38,880
Linda replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:13 PM | Locked

Karla:

Linda I'm really sorry that you don't get to see your grandsons.  I agree that your sons are probably idiots to keep them away from you.

Two of my grandsons will be home from their 5 week stay with their father (another idiot) and will have to be completely retrained.  It sure would be nice if he could see fit to pay his child support, he's always about 2 months behind and tells the boys that their mother takes all of his money so he can't come visit them his one weekend a month.  His child support is now causing 25% of his paycheck to be garnished, but he doesn't work enough hours (whenever he oversleeps, he just calls in sick for the whole day and he works swingshift), so there is never enough of his check to catch up on any support.  They're still trying to get May and June out of his checks.

Oh well, my daughter works about 60 hours a week just to make up the difference...

I have a daughter-in-law who works just as hard because my idiot son hasn't paid child support in over 3 years. She lives in California. As long as he stays in Ohio not much will be done. I think they should go after him with a federal warrant.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
Points 8,490
didash replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:25 PM | Locked

Julienne:

Hi Everyone, 

I have been really busy being sick and trying to pack for the move. I am trying to pack smartly this time. Instead of just doing it quickly and thinking oh I will just go through it later,  I am purging now and packing. Taking more time but you know how it goes.

I'm doing the same with our packing, Julianne...so I know where you are coming from.  Each time I moved I said, "I'll go through this box later"...Of course later never came...so now I'm doing my penance for over 40 years of being a pack rat!  Sure does make the packing/moving process much slower!

When is your move date?? Ours is the middle of Sept.  I think the rest of August is literally going to FLY by with so much to do.  Thankfully, I no longer have migraines since retiring.  I can't imagine doing this job with migraines!!!

Take it easy...remember to allow yourself time to rest.  You're worth it :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,780
Points 180,698
Marie replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 3:01 PM | Locked

Frances, make room, time for a change, I'm taking the first flight over!  Will I be the first cougar there?  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,780
Points 180,698
Marie replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 3:02 PM | Locked

Is, no advice here but that is one beautiful quilt and the name really fits it.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,780
Points 180,698
Marie replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 3:06 PM | Locked

Julz, so sorry to hear about your problems, prayers going up for you.  God Bless you.  (((((HUGS)))))

You take it easy with your move, don't want any further problems.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:01 PM | Locked

Donna B:
Now earthquakes, I confess, are another story!  They still cannot predict earthquakes and they can be very scary.

Oh yes, let's not forget those!!!

Gini, is Sandpoint earthquake prone?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,744
Points 54,170
Ginny replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:16 PM | Locked

Oh my, do you mean that I won't have to bring my sleep wedge?   That would be awesome   

It was a really hard day today with the almost 4 y/o , well also the baby, he had 4 shots yesterday and is starting to teethe.  He was miserable too. 

Then between his sister making noise and my son making noise fixing his dinner, the poor little guy kept waking up.   Now they have gone home though.    

Now I have to go out back and tie up my tomato bushes.  One of them fell over with all of the ripening tomatoes on it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,271
Points 19,955
weezee56 replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 6:14 PM | Locked

Very nice sewing box, IS.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 485
Points 7,565
Julienne replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 6:21 PM | Locked

didash:

Julienne:

Hi Everyone, 

I have been really busy being sick and trying to pack for the move. I am trying to pack smartly this time. Instead of just doing it quickly and thinking oh I will just go through it later,  I am purging now and packing. Taking more time but you know how it goes.

I'm doing the same with our packing, Julianne...so I know where you are coming from.  Each time I moved I said, "I'll go through this box later"...Of course later never came...so now I'm doing my penance for over 40 years of being a pack rat!  Sure does make the packing/moving process much slower!

When is your move date?? Ours is the middle of Sept.  I think the rest of August is literally going to FLY by with so much to do.  Thankfully, I no longer have migraines since retiring.  I can't imagine doing this job with migraines!!!

Take it easy...remember to allow yourself time to rest.  You're worth it :)

Our move date I hope is in the next two weeks. And does seem to fly by, I tire easy and it is hard, but I push through and rest when I can. When Df thinks I have had enough he makes me stop and rest, so that helps too.  Thank you for thinking about me. 

On another subject...I have been reading these other posts on dead beat dads basically if you will excuse the term. I debated on interjecting or not. I am on Social Security Disibility and because my youngest son decided to finish school where his father lives he gets dependant benefits of over 800 a month from my dependant benefits. I am suppose to see my son. But my ex has turn him against me and I have not seen him since 2009. But he sure make sure he collects those $856  checks every month and he will get them until he turns 18. I however do not have the money anymore to keep taking him to court to see my child. So he is just as much a loser. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 485
Points 7,565
Julienne replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 6:23 PM | Locked

Marie:

Julz, so sorry to hear about your problems, prayers going up for you.  God Bless you.  (((((HUGS)))))

You take it easy with your move, don't want any further problems.

Thank you Marie, trust me I am being babysat LOL 

Love Julienne

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,971
Points 70,240
Bonita replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 7:37 PM | Locked

Sweet baby quilt IS. Nice job.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,025
Points 42,775
ls2116 replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 9:11 PM | Locked

Thanks everyone for comments on quilt and box much appreciated.

On another note this is way off topic .  As i got home from more errands today I checked my house mail and i was floored by something I received I strongly feel there should be some kind of law aganst this don't know who to talk to on this!  An envelope I received was from a pre paid cremation place.  They had my address and it didn't have current resident like most advertisements but my mothers name !  She never lived with me, and she has been gone for so many years.  It was like mac truck hit me.  I know there is freedom of press but this sort of thing should be illegal. How can any company send mail to someone who has been gone.  I called my brother sobbing he says when you sign guestbooks funeral homes use the addresses to advertise like that.  I think it should be made illegal if it isn't .  Do I need to start a petition.  Getting that advertisement was like getting a sympathy card that had been lost in the mail for many years.  If you have any suggestions on this please let me know.

Needless to say no quilting tonight

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 9:49 PM | Locked

Is

So sorry that you got the "bad" mail today.  I received mail for both my mom and dad for many years after they passed.  I think it takes forever for everyone to get the notice of death.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Page 29 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 27 28 29 30 31 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use