Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 255 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 253 254 255 256 257 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Mon, May 26 2014 11:50 PM | Locked

Maybe not all juried quilt shows are marked on the same criteria. The few times I have entered quilts the marking has been done by sections with the total being 100%. As in everything else in life the highest number of points is the top winner and one obvious mistake with everything else reaching top mark could have still achieved the highest mark. The best I have done was come in third. I know my weaknesses and so for me that was life goal achievement. It was my hand quilting that dragged it down. It was also that same quilt that was the last item I ever hand quilted. My repetitive injuries did me in.

The quilt show i attended in April had the different categories of work by one person, pieced by one, quilted by another and so on.

Medical genes can skip a generation so why wouldn't genes that deal with habits. There is no quilting background in my lineage. In my love for creativity, color choices, etc I have to credit my maternal grandmother. My mother hated anything that took place indoors. She would much rather  have spent her time doing the gardening, picking wild berries, etc than knitting, sewing, etc. I enjoyed those skills and thus I was the one from a young age that was lined up for those tasks. My mother never sewed a garment for me after I was about 14. That became my responsibility. So I graduated and got married in gowns i made and I even ended up making special outfits for my mother.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,388
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Tue, May 27 2014 2:21 AM | Locked

I finished John's homecoming quilt yesterday. Haven't taken photo yet. Not that I'm counting, but he will be home in 23 days.

I have half of my candle mats almost done. Just have to sew the bindings to the back.  I have one new pattern I'm ready to scrap. Today I plan to work on candle mats. And I have 3 quilts waiting to have the bindings sewn to the backs.

Then I need to get busy and quilt 2 QOV quilts that have been in the que for far too long. Will someone please get me some energy?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980
Marlabartlett60 replied on Tue, May 27 2014 2:32 AM | Locked

I finally finished that Hankie Butterfly Quilt, well still have the binding, but that just takes 30 min. I have to get it mailed today, in time for that 90 th b day! Whew!  Glad it's done, now on to the next project!! It came out twin size!    

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,388
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Tue, May 27 2014 2:37 AM | Locked

Candis - The quilt is exquisite! Excellent job!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 725
Points 14,125
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Tue, May 27 2014 5:31 AM | Locked

Candis, your butterfly quilt is so very beautiful! The sashing and the scalloped border really add a nice touch to it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 475
Points 9,255
Pat A replied on Tue, May 27 2014 6:07 AM | Locked

Candis, Love the butterfly quilt.  It turned out great.  The scalloped border is just the right finish.  Good job!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Tue, May 27 2014 6:51 AM | Locked

Candis :

I finally finished that Hankie Butterfly Quilt, well still have the binding, but that just takes 30 min. I have to get it mailed today, in time for that 90 th b day! Whew!  Glad it's done, now on to the next project!! It came out twin size!    

Candis,

This is amazing. Wonderful work!!! Love the way you did the sashings too with the scrollies and butterflies. And beautiful job on the scalloped border as well.  

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Tue, May 27 2014 8:43 AM | Locked

Oh Candis your Butterfly quilt is just awesome - I love that scalloped border - so very unique and pretty - now the color of the border - teehee - I am not a green person - oh my - but I can appreciate a pretty quilt...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Tue, May 27 2014 8:55 AM | Locked

Agnes:
Medical genes can skip a generation so why wouldn't genes that deal with habits. There is no quilting background in my lineage. In my love for creativity, color choices, etc I have to credit my maternal grandmother. My mother hated anything that took place indoors. She would much rather  have spent her time doing the gardening, picking wild berries, etc than knitting, sewing, etc. I enjoyed those skills and thus I was the one from a young age that was lined up for those tasks. My mother never sewed a garment for me after I was about 14. That became my responsibility. So I graduated and got married in gowns i made and I even ended up making special outfits for my mother.

I know there are creative genes in my family going way back - My Great Grandfather came over from Germany and started a Stain Glass Making Business - his windows are up all over the world - kind of amazed me when I found out about it - the business is still up and running in Ohio.  My Mom made clothes and knitted/crocheted/embroidered quite a bit till her eyes gave out on her - she tried weaving on looms too - My Dad was very creative with carpentry - I don't think there was anything wood that my Dad couldn't do - besides being super creative with car motors.  

So I guess I came by that naturally... Once I delved into it I was hooked.  I don't remember what I started with but when I was younger and didn't have a sewing machine I knitted and crocheted and did lots of embroidery... Once I got my own sewing machine then it was on - made my own clothes and the found quilting and all the rest went out the window - neither my Grandmothers nor my Mom did any quilting so it surprised me when I found that my Great Grandmothers did.  It is nice to own the antique top of my one GGGGrandmother.  It is a star quilt that was one of the last tops she made back in 1880.  She lived in Toronto Canada after moving there from Scotland.  I love having it.  

Isn't it nice to know some of our genealogy and where some of the things we have in our lives comes from.  I loved finding out what my ancestors did.  

Weather is real nasty here today - so overcast and when I saw the weather forecast and the map today I knew why for the last 3 days that I have hurt so much - there is a front just churning about us from Houston TX up to somewhere in KS - so I have another week of pain to look forward to - I wish they would find a cure for barometric pressure changes wrecking havoc on a body... But alas they haven't - Jay says we need to have a Bubble home where we can set it to one setting and leave it - would that not be nice.  Maybe if I played the lottery I might win and could build something like that... For now, I'll just pray the rain comes and goes and while here drops enough rain for the crops but that it will leave for a couple weeks so I can relax a little... I hate waking up to my whole body hurting and the only thing I can do is reach for the pain meds... I like it when I wake and stretch and there is no pain... I do have  few days like that in the summer - looking forward to them...

I plan on starting the satin stitching on Dog Park today - it is so gloomy out though first I have to find a good happy program to watch on tv... something silly I think.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,181
Points 18,155
weezee56 replied on Tue, May 27 2014 12:47 PM | Locked

Candis, your butterfly quilt is wonderful. I love the scalloped edges. I'm sure she will love it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 821
Points 13,475
Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam replied on Tue, May 27 2014 12:56 PM | Locked

Finished the two part binding for my DD's Around the Block quilt.  Have to go get backing material should I use black or white? (or any other suggestions) I think Yellow would be too much. I was also thinking of using a spiral quilt design but that might be too busy for this quilt also.  

Candis, I love the Butterfly Quilt.  I like the green border also it came out so nice reminds me of how I do a crochet shell border.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,181
Points 18,155
weezee56 replied on Tue, May 27 2014 1:08 PM | Locked

Donna , I love DD's quilt, I  use the same fabric as the edge border on many of my quilts. That way the binding and border blend together. I also use a lot of black for bindings.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,800
Points 67,535
Bonita replied on Tue, May 27 2014 1:12 PM | Locked

Mamag, the top is so pretty. I love two color quilts. The outer border fabric would be pretty on the back. Or any other black and white print.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 28,590
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, May 27 2014 2:06 PM | Locked

Finally, here is one quilt top picture.  I have been fighting the weather and losing for a week!  Now my strength and balance have left for a while so won't try to take pictures of the other 2 that are done  until I get a safer system.  The one I used in the tree last year is too high for my one remaining step ladder, so had to rig up a system on the deck using the swing frame with swing removed and 2 picnic benches.  I put the back legs up on the benches and tipped the frame toward the railing.  I just secured it with bungee cords and that is not very stable.  Need to tie the frame to the railing with rope so that it doesn't move back and forth with the stretch of the cords.  The ladder is too short for here and not close enough to the frame top which extends beyond the railing.  I hung this quilt, sort of, and took a picture but was too shakey and exhausted to do the others.  Need to buy a better ladder and tie more securely before doing more.  The rain is threatening again and the wind is gusting, so it is hard to keep quilt flat enough for a picture, but here it is - MQ 8 - the second time around.  

All 60 animal attic windows blocks are finished, trimmed and ready for the 4th quilt.  I need to starch and press the deer panel and add the borders to it then this quilt will be ready for final assembly.  I looked out fabrics for the 5th quilt this morning and probably will do a 3 color pattern.  Need to wash and press fabrics and get started cutting tomorrow.  I still have my break from trucking, so have to work fast this week.

If this old body holds out, it should take only 2 to 3 days to quilt each quilt, so maybe I will make the end of June deadline for at least this quilt and the deer quilt.  Maybe I can get all 5 done!!!!!  My sewing machine and I just have to hold together until they are done.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Tue, May 27 2014 2:17 PM | Locked

candis, outstanding job on your hankie quilt

donna, I love yellow and black, cute quilt

marsha, love the colors you picked for the mystery quilt.   I decided to do applique around mine, now I need to  get to it.

gini in north idaho

Page 255 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 253 254 255 256 257 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use