Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 220 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 218 219 220 221 222 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 606
Points 10,495
zoetc49 replied on Sun, Apr 20 2014 11:28 PM | Locked

I was looking at ideas to use for a panel, I saw this and thought to

post.  I thought it was very pretty . http://sistersoutdoorquiltshow.wordpress.com/tag/quilt-for-two-rivers/

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,662
Kris replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 2:01 AM | Locked

mamagshouse:
Kris are you an ER Physician?  Hope you were able to get a break today even if you didn't get to sew.

No I do CT and X-ray. I was on call for CT.

I was at the hospital until after 7PM then came home and had a horrible night of trying to sew. My Babylock would not work so I took at off the frame and replaced it with my Pfaff. All was well for one border then, when working on my inner border, I broke three needles. No bulk to speak of so not sure what was going on there. I decided to remove the quilt from the frame and quilt it DSM style. I tried to baste it with my micro stitch gun while still on the frame. Well the stupid thing won't put the tacks through the layers. I wasted more than I got into the quilt. Gave up on that and just took the quilt off. Since one border is already sewn I decide to spray baste the rest of it. That went well until I picked it up. The back (smooth at the beginning) is now well wrinkles. I watched in disgust as the adhesive gave way.

I decided to stop at that point and leave the sewing area or who knows what I would have done to that quilt.

I wanted to finish this before Thursday but who knows now.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,494
Points 46,835
Pat Lancaster replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 3:53 AM | Locked

Wow Kris, this quilt is fighting you every step of the way. Maybe it just doesn't want to leave you. That is how some of my UFOs became UFOs. Of course since this is a gift you really need to get it done. I will pray that you are able to overcome all of the problems and finish it by your deadline! 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 704
Points 13,705
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 6:15 AM | Locked

zoetc49:

I was looking at ideas to use for a panel, I saw this and thought to

post.  I thought it was very pretty . http://sistersoutdoorquiltshow.wordpress.com/tag/quilt-for-two-rivers/

Such pretty panels!  I love the one of the headwaters.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:32 AM | Locked

Kris, Adding my 2 cents for what it is worth here... when I spray baste I always end up pressing the quilt both front and back afterwards... I tighten the quilt backing tight on a table with my clips and spray the material - lay the batting on and smooth it out... I then lay the top on and fold it back towards the center - I spray baste the top - I never spray the batting... 

These are just how I do it... Now I have tightened that backing down so you would think it wouldn't have a single wrinkle in it - but it always does... it seems to wrinkle up - I think maybe because of the glue - so I then take it to my ironing station adn starting in the center I press out first to the top - then to the bottom - then I start back in the center and go to each side.  Sometimes it takes me 4 hours to press a quilt out - depending on the size...

I thought at first that I must be doing something wrong to get all these wrinklies in the basted quilt but since it has happened time and time again I think it is just what happens when you glue baste.

I wanted to tell you - for your bird's nest problem - but that was the other day - I read it in my email and then my broadband was taken down by the technician - all fixed - WE HOPE - cross your fingers - over the the last 15 years it has been fixed so many times and then problems arise - but anyway...

I wanted to tell you - stop say a prayer - turn you machine off - say another prayer... then turn the machine on - put the top thread on and thread the machine - put the bobbin in... set your tension to what you need it to be - say a prayer and start quilting... Oh almost forgot - just before you start all of this ... I want you to take the thread out of the machine and the bobbin... throw that bobbin thread away - get a whole new spool of thread... redo a bobbin and a new spool ... then start the prayers...

I found one time that it was nothing that I hadn't done to set it up but was the spool of thread I was using - that when I changed to another spool that all worked just fine - for some reason when that spool of thread was wound at the factory - it was off somehow - I used it for hand work from then on as every time I picked it up to use on my machine I had problems... 

I pray for you this morning that you have a wonderful great experience finishing up the quilting on this quilt and that you get it done by Thursday as you had planned... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:48 AM | Locked

I am very close to being done with the top for my Autumn Baltimore Album quilt - I have enjoyed working on this quilt over the last year.  it was one of those quilts that I enjoyed working on a little at a time.  All the cutting out of pieces and then fusing them down and then the satin stitching would have overwhelmed me in a single sit down... I would have done it as I have done it with the MR quilts that I make - but here it is - I am at present working on the satin stitching of the corners - have the red done in two corners.  I decided to do it one color at a time for the corners.

After I get this last bit of satin stitching done and the weather turns warm and sunny - hopefully tomorrow - I will start sewing on the buttons!  there are different buttons that go all over the quilt.  I haven't figured out what material to use for a backing yet - it will be a single piece backing as I had no scraps from this quilt...

I hope to have the top completely done before I leave for MN on Friday - although I might take it and the buttons with me to work on there... and maybe see a few quilt shops while I am out shopping for fabrics for Echo's flower girl dress and her 1st communion dress.... I am hopeful for down time while with the Grands - not thinking I will truly get any - I'll come back a totally exhausted Nana but a very happy one... I have some other projects that I am taking too - things to work on!

• | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 190
Points 3,240
hhhdmh replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:52 AM | Locked

WOW Thea, that is beautiful.

God Bless

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,547
Points 23,385
Susie replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:59 AM | Locked

Oh, Thea!  That is absolutely stunning!

I have to share this picture.  It's from the round robin last year.  I finally finished it completely with the label and everything.  A dear friend of mine did the quilting.  I gave it to my son, who promptly did this with it.  And he as still curled up in it this morning.  I think we can all safely say that he loves it.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,280
Points 28,950
Agnes replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 9:17 AM | Locked

Thea--I have followed your instructions, after you posted them previously at some point, for spray basting and pressing the back and front down. I do not clip the fabric down to start with and find with the pressing it still comes out great.. There always is a bit of slight ripple look on the back after the front is pressed in place but it is no longer there after I quilt and then wash. I have, as of this winter, become a convert to glue basting. Don't have the issue of overspray and smells any more. After diluting the washable school glue I paint  the glue solution onto the batting very lightly and then press the excess moisture away meanwhile bonding the fabric and batting. 

Good luck, Kris, on getting that quilt done. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 10:06 AM | Locked

Darn, kris, this quilt is really giving you fits.  Try throwing it on the floor and stomping it 'til it behaves.  

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 253
Points 3,295
Barbara in Colorado replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 10:24 AM | Locked

Thea,

Your Album Quilt is stunning!  I have eyeballed this quilt several times, but just haven't felt up to it.  I really admire your fortitude is doing it so beautifully.

Barbara

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 253
Points 3,295
Barbara in Colorado replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 10:27 AM | Locked

Susie

I love what you did with the round robin squares.  It is very patriotic and it looks as if it will be well loved.  Great job!  And a UFO finished.

Barbara

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,129
Points 14,595
Dawn replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 10:36 AM | Locked

Thea, the quilt is awesome!  What a lot of work but so worth it!  Love it!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 753
Points 11,995
Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:19 AM | Locked

Oh my this is absolutely beautiful.  Love Love Love it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 753
Points 11,995
Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:21 AM | Locked

Susie this quilt is wonderful.  Great Job.

Page 220 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 218 219 220 221 222 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use