Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 170 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 168 169 170 171 172 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 8,550
Joyce replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 4:58 PM | Locked

Thea, Pam & others, I feel for you with the arthritis I have that also and this cold really makes the back hurt.  I have a Tens unit that I use and sometimes that helps.  Have been spending the night on the sofa several nights as when I go to bed the back makes the legs act up.  I bundle up with warm blankets turn on the tv and usually can go to sleep that way after a few hours.  

Today I mailed the quilt block to Candis for Jules and I have the one for Carol (I believe) ready to mail to Zoe49.  Mine are simple blocks but I enjoyed working on them.  Tonight we are getting out of state company to spend the night and maybe a few more.  His brother is in ICU about 2 hrs away from us and he has been driving for 2 days, from Kansas.  I did some dusting floors & hubby vacd for me as my back can't take it.  Rest will just need to walk around. :)  

Joyce

Maryland

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 8,550
Joyce replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 5:02 PM | Locked

Pam I meant to say I hope you recover soon.  It takes time.  Good to hear you were able to get up today.  Hope your hubby is much better soon also.

Joyce

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 5:08 PM | Locked

I've spent the past two days (when not in a Quilt Club Meeting or at TaeKwonDo) working on my Loyal Union Sampler.  I decided to sash and put the blocks together that I have finished so I don't misplace any of the blocks.  So, here are the first 5 rows.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,671
Points 65,735
Bonita replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 5:27 PM | Locked

Karla, I love how your top is shaping up. I like the shashing and the cornerstones too. Did you put all the A's in a row and so forth?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 5:32 PM | Locked

Bonita, I put them in the same order as the book does, A-1 through A-11 (and in that order) in the first row, etc. etc. etc.  If I had made these in order and put them together as I made them, I believe some of the color choices would be different, but I think I'm pleased with it so far.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,463
Points 116,620
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 5:38 PM | Locked

Really beautiful Karla. You and I are thinking alike, (and Kris I believe) I'm also working on putting my LUS blocks together. But I've decided to Quilt as I go. I'm putting mine on point, so will put together sections at a time, quilt and do another section. First time I've done this.

I have a question. 

My sashing has 9 patch blocks in the intersections. When I quilt one section, quilt another section then go to put the sections together am I going to have trouble matching these? Quilting kind of skews things a bit doesn't it? It won't look right if the patches don't match up.

Here's the first section laid out so you can see what I mean. I would sew these pieces together, layer and quilt leaving plenty of batting/backing sticking out.

Then do another section, quilt and add to the first. Here is where I'm nervous about getting those corner 9 patch to meet up and hope for some input from those of you who have done this before.

By the way, my intention in quilting as I go, is to hand stitch the seams on the back. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,463
Points 116,620
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 5:40 PM | Locked

OOps, forgot the photo.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 7:01 PM | Locked

Thank out for thinking of me. I agree about arthritis, my rheumatoid arh.is acting up more with this weather changing around!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 6,825
didash replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 8:05 PM | Locked

When I went to visit my niece in Lancaster on Tuesday, I had time to run into one shop for red and white chevron fabric I needed.  Unfortunately I could only get a flat fold (which was 6 yards that they won't cut smaller) but the price was TERRIFIC.  I have AT LEAST 3 yards that I'll NEVER use in my lifetime...so if anyone is interested in 1 - 3 yards, send me a message and I'll send you the details.  I'll pay shipping :)  I just didn't know if posting the details here would be against any "rules"...but everyone here has been so helpful, I thought I'd share my good find.  Here's a pic with tape measure so you can see that it's the small chevron.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365
Jeanette Kennedy Asiala replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 8:07 PM | Locked

Karla, it is coming together beautifully.  I love your sashing and corner blocks.  It will be georgeous when it is completed.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 685
Points 10,365
Jeanette Kennedy Asiala replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 8:13 PM | Locked

Judy, I love how you are doing these on point.  I also love your sashing and corner fabric. Can not wait to till it is completed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,656
Points 37,400
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 6 2014 10:38 PM | Locked

Karla that is a stunning sampler !  what is the size on those squares  there are so many.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Fri, Feb 7 2014 1:55 PM | Locked

WOW, Karla and Judy-T. You're gonna have a coupla of gorgeous quilts when you finish those tops. I've been fallowing your progress, even tho I'm too lazy to try LUS myself.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Feb 7 2014 7:53 PM | Locked

Me as well. I started the underground railway, not as complicated as your LUS by far and I still have to finish it. On the list and rising to,the top soon!! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,463
Points 116,620
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, Feb 7 2014 7:58 PM | Locked

Vivian. The underground railroad by Eleanor Burns was my first major pieced quilt and the first I free motion quilted. Before I had mostly made log cabin quilt blocks. 

Eleanors instructions were wonderful for me. 

Page 170 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 168 169 170 171 172 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use