Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 159 of 219 (3271 items) « First ... < Previous 157 158 159 160 161 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,270 Replies | 64 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:04 PM

CC, so beautiful.  I love the colors and how one fades into the next by the choice the fabric in between.  Gorgeous.   Stunning.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:33 PM

hhhdmh:

Wow, that is beautiful. Where did you get the pattern? I love it. God Bless. Darlene in Indiana

No Pattern HHH. It's just a 5x5 Lone Star. It's strip pieced.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:37 PM

That is a geogeous star. Love to look at them but have no desire ti attempt one. Good job, CC.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 6,590
didash replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:42 PM

Love your "adult colors" CC!!! What about a gold background??? Yeah, I'm color challenged - but that was my first thought. 

Tell the boys "Thanks" from me, too. They did a great job raiding your stash! :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:48 PM

Thanks for the compliments everybody. I'm afraid it looks pretty muted in the picture. Sprout put finger prints on my camera lens.  :S  

I had a stack of fabric chosen for it last week and DD looked them over on Saturday. She did her teen eye roll, took out the batik bin and shuffled my selections around, discarded 2 and add others...and POOF. Perfection!  She's got a real talent for that sort of thing. (I'm hoping she'll help me choose a background for it, too). 

Lone Star isn't that hard.  It helps a lot if you starch the strip sets before you cut the 45 degree units,  so they aren't so stretchy. Pin carefully so your points match. The hardest part is where the units all meet in the middle. That's where you'll find out if you stretched the bias seams!  The Y seams are PITA but they aren't hard. I mark my starts and stops so I'm sure where the seams begin and end. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 8:36 PM

You make that sound easy, CC, but having one of mine turn into a mammoth bra cup, I'd say you have a true talent!  Very pretty!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:08 PM

CC, I love the colors and I'm thinking of doing another one as soon as I get some of these other projects done.  You're right, it's not really that difficult but I found it quite time consuming trying to match up all of those seams.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 1,855
hhhdmh replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:18 PM

I don't think I could even start without a pattern, but it is beautiful. I love it.

God Bless

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:26 PM

I didn't think I could either, but it's really very easy to do without a pattern.

Today I've almost finished the binding on my Lone Star Sampler, and I've done the label for it.  I only have about another 30 inches to stitch down on the back side.

My fingers are sore and I had to stop to take the boys to the Community Health Nurse to get all of their shots updated, including getting their flu shots.  They weren't very happy about it, but at least that is now done.  Now, I'm going to go and finish that binding.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 1,855
hhhdmh replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:31 PM

I am very new to quilting. How would you even know how to begin? You are very talented. God Bless. Darlene in Indiana

God Bless

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 1,855
hhhdmh replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:34 PM

Karla, How do you know what to do or what to cut without a pattern? I am just amazed that you can do that without a pattern. I would love to know how to do one. God Bless. Darlene in Indiana

God Bless

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:37 PM

These are pretty easy...sew 2-1/2" strips together, anywhere from 3 to 5 (or more I guess if you wanted it even bigger) and then cut those strips into 2-1/2 strips at a 45 degree angle.  Sounds complicated, but if you look at the picture closely, you will see.  The hardest part is matching the seams of the diamonds when you sew those strips together.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 110
Points 1,855
hhhdmh replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 9:43 PM

Thanks Karla. I might try one someday. God Bless. Darlene in Indiana

God Bless

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,750
Agnes replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 11:01 PM

CC--Love your lone star.

In answer to the question of patterns just google Lone Star quilt instructions free and there are all kinds of links. If you see the steps outlined in tutorial form it really becomes easy if you didn't want to believe  it. I had been of the "too hard" camp until a gal came to the fabric section in our store with the basic cutting instructions to purchase her requirements for her very first introduction to quilting. As I had quilted just a few years I thought if she can tackle that so can I. I went home, raided my fabric and started my top. I have never starched my fabric and have made a large number of blocks where the eight tips have yo meet in the middle. The number of rows following just increase the difficult if you are a stretcher when you set iron to fabric. As far as the Y seams since doing Stack and Whack with Bethany Reynold's instructions I use triangles instead of the full size piece otherwise needed. Here's a lone star I did where I threw in another wrinkle. This was my idea after having made the Magic Tiles pattern. My 4 year old grandson passed on the information after he studied it that it had too much pink. 

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 10:20 AM

Agnes, I love the stained glass look of your quilt.  I have not made one in the stained glass pattern look but am drawn to them... someday - my family on my Dad's side still have the stain glass factory in Ohio.  My Great Grandfather came over from Germany to make them here.  He has one's all over the USA and Europe... makes me tingle all over when I see one.  Someday!

Page 159 of 219 (3271 items) « First ... < Previous 157 158 159 160 161 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use