Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #9

Page 123 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 121 122 123 124 125 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,879 Replies | 69 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,620
Points 119,575
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 2:31 PM | Locked

Marie:

Judy sorry this is happening.  Cold water, gentle cycle, color catchers is the way to go.

All three times the color catchers came out blue. I just completed the quilt and washed it, again with color catchers. They were clear this time and no blue bled onto the light parts of the quilt. Yay!

This is a family gift but I don't know who will get it until we draw numbers at our Christmas gathering on the 22nd. It doesn't really matter as the whole family are rabid Seahawks fans. I free motion quilted players names in the sashing. And, oh shoot, just noticed one small section that I missed quilting. Easy to fix.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:04 PM | Locked

Have not been on in a while, but have been lurking seeing what everyone is up too.  Got my appliqué quilt done, pinning and then will hand quilt.  I inherited this from my sister decease MIL.  OnrE panel was done..  The pattern was from Quilters Magizine but I do not know the date, it says the name can be either Love apples or Pomergranate

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:14 PM | Locked

Elizabeth, your quilt is beautiful! 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:14 PM | Locked

Judy, I am glad those color catchers worked.  Nice quilt. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 9,790
Pam replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:16 PM | Locked

Very nice and a memory for you all too.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:16 PM | Locked

Agnes:

Quiltless:

When it is this cold, it has to warm up to snow!

True. However you can still have ice crystals being pushed into your face with the wind. I was out in such conditions and quite enjoyed it yesterday. My going to school was pre bus days. We would walk two miles no matter what the weather. Our clothes were also not warm like they are currently. I have been enjoying my outings the past few days even though the wind chills are in the minus 30 range. At that stage there'e very little difference between C and F. I thank my warmness on having found boots that are rated to -40. When my feet are warm, I can endure almost  anything else.

Today I plan to make a sewing day but I will have to buckle down and get started or it will not happen.

Agnes,

I hear you about the ice in your race and walking to school.  In my small town living, we didn't have a school bus.  We had to walk.  It wasn't 2 miles, but it was cold.  On very cold days in elementary school, I wore flannel lined pants under my skirts and took off the pants when we got to school.  Those were pre-snowsuit days. 

I agree that if my feet are warm it helps a whole lot.   Also, zero and -30 isn't much different -- except I remember the snow sounded different when it was -30; it squeaks differently when you walk on it.  I've seen weather below -40 too.  I remember going to college and it was so cold we had to go out and start our cars every 3 hours -- even with an engine block heater.  The tree trunks and big branches were exploding.  (Water contracts to a certain temp and then below that starts expanding again.)  It was considerably colder than -30 that day.  I stood in the entry trying to warm up and hyperventilate so I could run to the next building without breathing much outside as the cold air could sear your lungs.  They had signs in the entries saying to do that!  I stood so long the snow on my boots melted - leaving the soles wet.  Ice on all the sidewalks.  When I ran outside, I dropped a book and leaned over to pick it up.  That was all it took for my feet to freeze to the sidewalk.  I couldn't move!  Two big burly frat guys I knew saw it happen, ran out and kicked my laced - to - the - knee boots free and dragged me into the next building.  Uffda!  They should have cancelled classes but they didn't.  Somebody put a rose on the windshield of my car (a secret Valentine) and it froze instantly and perfectly. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,532
Points 51,090
Ginny replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:25 PM | Locked

Gee Quiltless,  I am older than you and I had snow pants.  they were made out of the same wool as my coat and were lined with a heavy weight flannel.  That was in the days before nylon snow pants and jackets. Nylon didn't come into use until after the 2nd world war.      Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:26 PM | Locked

Quiltless, I am sure glad I have never had to endure that kind of cold!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 7:48 PM | Locked

Quiltless:
I wore flannel lined pants under my skirts and took off the pants when we got to school

I LOVE my flannel-lined blue jeans.  I wear them a lot this time of year.  On days I don't want to look so heavy, I wear long johns under regular blue jeans.  Wool socks are a must, and hooded sweatshirts are standard wear.  Skirts?  No idea what you're talking about!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,738
Points 66,700
Bonita replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 8:43 PM | Locked

Thanks Marie.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,738
Points 66,700
Bonita replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:13 PM | Locked

Which ever one gets it, they will be lucky.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:35 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
I LOVE my flannel-lined blue jeans.  I wear them a lot this time of year.  On days I don't want to look so heavy, I wear long johns under regular blue jeans.

MNnancy and others living in the cold north climes, do any of you use Sporthill 3SP pants?    This fabric was developed by Bill Koch (first USA Cross-country Olympic Medal winner in the 70's) for a "better" fabric than wool for cold-weather exercise.  Here is a link to the pants that I use for cross-country skiing and also wear pretty much all the time I am outdoors during the winter months:  http://www.sporthill.com/products2011.php?ProductGroup=2130

They are less bulky than flannel-lined jeans, have a slight nap to the fabric, shed any moisture quickly (including sweat), are wind rated to 35 mph, plus feel warm and flexibly comfortable. 

These have gotten pricey in recent years, but they wear like iron!  I have several pairs that are more than 15 years old and still in decent shape.    They have several styles using the same fabric (3SP) for snomobilers, a slimmer look with a low-rise waist, etc.  I wear them just with my undies down to zero...below that I wear polypro-longjohns  too.  

The thing I really like about them is that they look flattering enough for the Christmas Concert or a dinner out!  Also, Sporthill sometimes has season-ending sales on these.  They do come in different colors, but the black is the most slimming and attractive...imho.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 10,550
zoetc49 replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 11:00 PM | Locked

Very pretty Elizabeth !!

I love so many quilts on here, I realize I don't post to most, I just cannot sit and type long, I always have to be moving. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Fri, Dec 13 2013 8:24 AM | Locked

Quiltless, WOW - your story is crazy.  I cannot even imagine.

Elizabeth, your applique quilt is beautiful.

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,398
Points 175,538
Marie replied on Fri, Dec 13 2013 11:41 AM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:
I just completed the quilt and washed it, again with color catchers. They were clear this time and no blue bled onto the light parts of the quilt. Yay!

Happy it worked out Judy!  Doing the happy dance for you.

Millbury, MA

Page 123 of 259 (3880 items) « First ... < Previous 121 122 123 124 125 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use